The Great Salt Lake & The Colorado River

Since I don’t plan on going this year I wonder what the Going to the Sun Road will look like in Montana this year.

1 Like

I’m guessing they will be lucky to have it open by July 24 this year. As a kid I remember the years when we could get up to Logan Pass on Canada Day. I don’t think that will be a thing this year.

4 Likes

This is why I always side-eye people talking about going in early June.

3 Likes

We’d be lucky to get in to Many Glacier in June let alone even part way up to Logan Pass. You can usually get to West Glacier in June and sometimes as far as Lake MacDonald Lodge or over to Apgar village. Going to the Sun Road is always late to open. You can still drive around the park all year up to St Mary though but the road between Browning and St Mary sucks.

1 Like

Last year we did a big loop to Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Waterton, and Glacier. We went to Glacier and had the reservation and they just opened up Going to the Sun road the day before. JULY 14TH.

2 Likes

I am so sick of this!!! It won’t ■■■■■■■ stop snowing!

This Morning I put my snowshoes on and went out back away from the house and outbuilding to measure the snow depth. 46". Last year on March 23rd I was fertilizing the spring blooming bushes and some pine trees.

No Easter egg hunt this year.

4 Likes

Got three inches of snow this morning. 11:00am the sun came out.

By 2:00pm the snow on the driveway, sidewalks and most of the yard has melted.

Welcome to spring in Utah.

2 Likes

Solitude is reporting 73” of new snow in the last 7 days. I was at Alta Thursday and it’s a sight to behold. Things I’ve never seen covered are way under the surface. And the latter half of this week promises more.

I think the only thing helping my wife get through winter, which she hates, is the hydroponic garden we got last fall so she can grow something.

2 Likes

I did something similar on a month I took off two years ago. Did 10 days in Alaska and then flew down to Seattle and did the Oregon Coast to Carmel and bounced over to Yosemite, Reno, Tetons, and up to Glacier and back to Seattle. Wanted to do the Canadian route you did but the border was still closed. That’s why we added California.

1 Like

I have an old farm house in a small town in southern Idaho, that my family has used as a summer getaway/vacation home for 30 years or so. Residents in the area, keep texting me photos of the place, showing that it has not collapsed (some homes and businesses have in towns as close as Montpelier, ID.)

I’d love to go up and check on the place to make sure everything is OK (it’s winterized, as much as I’ve ever felt necessary) , but there are almost 5 feet of snow in the yard, and with my (hopefully temporary) bad back, there is no way I could dig my way in.

What a winter!!!.

Normally as an XC skier, I’d be having the time of my life, but with the back injury, I feel like I’m “taking one for the team”.

Now, folks, who thinks that with this season’s record snow fall, record late season cold temperatures, and predicted colder/wetter than normal weather pattern in our immediate future, that we should be expecting anything other than a sudden warm spell at some point that creates flooding virtually everywhere close to SLC.

I’m already planning my inner tubing party down the sandbag diversion of City Creek on State Street. I was out of town on vacation and missed the chance in '84, but I’ll be ready this time.

4 Likes

Been there…done that…in 1983.

1 Like

Blew through the SWE record to ridiculous territory. Possible Alta could reach 900 inches this season.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/WCIS/AWS_PLOTS/basinCharts/POR/WTEQ/assocHUCut3/state_of_utah.html

1 Like

It’s looking like Montana is not having the epic snow season we are having here. So maybe Going to the Sun Road and Logan Pass won’t be too late in opening up. We went a few years back on July 7th and that was pushing it, I think it had only opened up on the 4th of July that year.

2 Likes

I’m in Davis County and last night and this morning we picked up over 2 feet of new snow and its still snowing. I cant recall a storm of this magnitude this late in the year.

Every year I do the Lofty Lake loop trail in the Uintas (amazing hike). Often even in July, there are still little patches of snow. I doubt that trail will even be hikeable this summer.

5 Likes

Flathead District being at 96 makes me think it will still be mid July. But who knows? A quick warm up in May and June could help reduce the snow up at Logan Pass and allow them to start clearing sooner. But even in mild winter years it’s often been a challenge to get the GTTSR open by the beginning of July.

As I have posted before it was always a fun thing to go drive up to Logan Pass on the afternoon of Canada Day when I was a kid. But there were many years that wasn’t possible and we only went to the St Mary Visitors Center or Many Glacier.

1 Like

Agreed. Growing up our go to National Park was Yellowstone. My grandma lived in Cody WY so we always seemed to hit up the park either at the beginning or end of the annual summer trip to see grandma.

A few years ago the wife and I decided to hit up Glacier and Waterton for our trip that year. I was blown away how beautiful that area is. We would spend the days in the park and nights down in Whitefish. It is one of my favorite trips I’ve been on in awhile.

It is amazing the feat it is to just clear Going to the Sun road. It is amazing to see all the resources they put into it.

4 Likes

I was very blessed to grow up so close to Waterton and Glacier. Those parks were basically our backyard and we went all the time. We didn’t always have an annual pass to Waterton but usually someone in our extended family did.

I also remember going berry picking in Glacier every year in the late summer and fall from when I was barely old enough to remember. They used to put out a brochure of places to pick different kinds of berries even!!

I haven’t been able to go as often as I’ve wanted in recent years but hopefully another visit again this summer.

2 Likes

I’m in Davis Co as well, have kept hiking the bench above Centerville through all this (snow not as deep as the trails above Bountiful).

Still lots and lots of bald eagles in the area. They usually are gone back north to Alaska by now. Very weird.

4 Likes

The Sand Hill Cranes arrived in Ogden Valley a week ago, and they must said a big WTF when they arrived. I saw two a few minutes ago, so I guess they haven’t all turned around and gone back south.

1 Like

To Rocker’s discussion about how shallow that lake is…

In my recent hikes above Centerville, I can see Farmington Bay (west, beyond the freshwater part) has started to fill in. Not brimming, but not the typical mud flat of the past 10-20 years.

On Sunday & Monday, Davis County and SLC got belted pretty good with a storm. I was in 4WD all the way to work at the U Monday morning.

Later in the afternoon, looking to the NW from my office, the south tip of Antelope Island was clear. It was cold enough & cloudy enough that not much snow there would have melted off… so that means it was spared the storm that hit Davis Co and SLC & everywhere else.

Lake effect snow from the very recently revived Farmington Bay?

Whatever… I’ll take it!

6 Likes