The Great Salt Lake & The Colorado River

I’m no fan of China. That said, those sentiments you mentioned are often expressed by either low-IQ people who are living in the binary world or people who have different agenda – the same people who got their epidemiology degree from the University of Facebook/Fox/OAN/etc.

6 Likes

Everyone! Don’t worry!

All we need to do is pray away the drought.

11 Likes

Appears to be working. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

So we are having the drought because we aren’t “living right”?

In the 1980’s they told us we were having the floods because we weren’t “living right”!

I don’t know what “living right” is; but riding the State Street River was fun.:wink:

The dry conditions (along with last year’s record-breaking heat) haven’t been as much fun; it it make me appreciate my visits to Yellowstone, Cedar Breaks, and Bryce Canyon a lot as escapes from the heat.

1 Like

Actually, the 2021-2022 winter was pretty lousy. Maybe people lost faith before this winter. Pray to the pagan gods!

1 Like

Well perhaps since 1989. Before that we were so worried that the GSL would inundate the city that pumps were installed to lower lake levels.

Governor Bangerter led that mighty charge as I remember. He was so successful he had a nice road named after him.

2 Likes

He probably lined his own pockets with both projects.

3 Likes

I’m glad to be on the Salt Lake side of things.
We just have to fight alfalfa farmers to get enough water to allow the Great Salt Lake to refill.
Others in this state, including St. George, will be fighting the mighty clout of California to secure enough water to continue to prosper.

1 Like

Would Governor Cox be offended if I prayed for less hydrocarbon emissions?

12 Likes

Add in a prayer for transgender youth while you’re at it.

8 Likes

Looking good Utah. More expected this week and next.

https://water.utah.gov/snowpack/

1 Like

Pretty interesting read on Lake Powell and the problem with silt.

I last did a river trip on the Colorado in 2008, down Cataract Canyon and ending at Hite (used to be) Marina. I was stunned by the huge canyon of silt we went through at the end of the trip, and big chunks would slough off into the water as we drifted by. I know it can only be worse. I didn’t use to think decommissioning Glen Canyon Dam was a good idea, but I’m gradually warming up to it, except for the horror we’ll find in the channel from people dumping crap into the lake for the last 40+ years.

8 Likes

I read that article too. I had no idea that the silt was a problem, but I should have if I had just thought about it. I would assume it’s a problem at other dams throughout the country.

3 Likes

Given all the negative impacts the Glen Canyon dam has created in the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon and points south, it’s probably past time to consider decommissioning the dam. It should be done for no other reason than it will make the developer idiots quit looking to Lake Powell as a water source for their plans.

Building populations in places with very limited water resources is a tricky proposition.

8 Likes

It cant be THAT big of a shock to people if they would just think a bit… Look at the nature of the water coming from the Green River above, what it looks like through Cataract Canyon, and then add in another giant drainage through sandy/rocky areas from the San Juan, and it is simple logic that the silt that for millions of years flowed freely to the Gulf of California (creating the Colorado delta/wetland in the process, all but destroyed now) would get caught behind GCD. And that which comes down thru the virgin basin and the massive erosion from Marble Canyon to Mead gets caught behind HD. Not exactly rocket science people.

4 Likes

Appears we’ve hit the record. And we aren’t done yet.

AWS Plot (usda.gov)

2 Likes

We just need like 5-10 years of record breaking snowfall

3 Likes

It’s kind of good, but also kind of scary. Hopefully we have a mild warm up this year to bring the accumulation down without incident. If we don’t, look out!

1 Like

Getting the Mirror Lake Highway open before July 4 might be a bit of a challenge this year.

The High Uinta campgrounds…fuggetaboutit.

2 Likes