The cool pictures thread

we drove over there to check it out, but it was too:

2 Likes

Here’s a photo of Pilot Peak, NV… from about 25,000 feet, descending for SLC from San Francisco. Wendover is out of the frame, but is in the lower right hand corner.

The Donner Party route / Hastings Cutoff is on the south / lower part of this short range.

7 Likes

Taken atop Fort Jefferson at Dry Tortugas National Park looking north into the Gulf of Mexico.

I also love the arches there.

5 Likes

Chimney Rock - near Ute Mountain & Mesa Verde, southwestern Colorado.

From the top…

7 Likes

After school (Bountiful High) in the 80s my brother an I would hike Pyramid Peak and ski it. When I got a Burton Performer in 84 I switched to snowboarding it. Great photo.

1 Like

That place is so cool. Went there for the first time last fall. Just so fun to explore and can hike/scramble all around. Really fun. Was a neat contrast to Bryce where we were a few days earlier.

We did the hike. It happened to be a Sat and was SUPER busy. Frustrating that in a couple of the longer narrow parts we’d see groups coming through with no mask (had to wait for them to come through before we could go). It was pretty good. We had done Peek-a-boo and Spooky Gulch in Escalante which of course were awesome but this was a good hike after Goblin (got in before the long line formed - kids cheered for us when we left because it meant they were 1 car closer :slight_smile:)

Said to my wife the other day that almost everything that is cool to do anymore is overcrowded. Skiing, hiking, biking, travel – hard to come up with something awesome that doesn’t draw crowds. Maybe yachting on the open seas where there’s a $50 million buy-in?

image|500x500

Antelope Island yesterday.

3 Likes

Shiprock, New Mexico - after the same storm that belted Tucson a couple of years ago. (Looking north into Colorado, Ute Mountain in the distance behind Shiprock, the San Juan range on the right.)

5 Likes

This is in reply to Ma’ake’s picture of Pyramid Peak in Bountiful. This was in 1984 snowboarding the same Pyramid Peak after school one day.

2 Likes

Great photo, UB!

One of the great mysteries is how Pyramid Peak was named “Cave Peak” on the USGS maps. I remember thinking - “There is no cave…and it looks just like a pyramid. What the…

Here’s a shot from Pyramid of Bountiful-Millcreek / Mueller Park, with Elephant Rock & the rocky part of Sessions Mountain on the left.

2 Likes

Snow + wind = snowdrifts.

The right hook we’re getting from the high pressure over Wyoming brings a lot of fascinating wind sculpting:

3 Likes

Big Sur, California. (actually, a little north of Big Sur)

8 Likes

LOL

6 Likes

That is simply gorgeous Ma’ake. If I were you I’d get that enlarged on canvas and hang it in a prominent spot in my home.

2 Likes

Thanks mUUser!

I get into a little trouble with Mrs. Ma’ake because I have a lot of 13x19 photos around the house… but at least I rotate them!

here’s a picture I took last fall with my phone on that Hwy, gorgeous area

2 Likes

A year ago today Kobe Bryant & several others perished from a needless pilot error. (As a private pilot who lost both my best friend & my first instructor to pilot errors, I take notice of these things.)

In hindsight that was a signal that 2020 was going to be a seriously bad year.

On the same day, I got this shot of the Stansbury range from the north end looking south, on top of fog.

Further west in Nevada, scoping out a new route to hike Pilot Peak, I saw this wisp of cloud shooting around the ridge… then a couple of minutes later a golden eagle took out my drone. (He let go, decided it wasn’t food, I did some GPS sleuthing and found it the next day.)

When I pulled the video from my drone, got a photo of the culprit, as the drone was spinning to earth.

11 Likes

So cool!

2 Likes

I’ve heard those taste like chicken.

Can you confirm?

1 Like