The cool pictures thread

From the Centerville foothills this morning. Waning crescent moon with Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter visible.

6 Likes

Brilliant visual representation of the “Plane of the Ecliptic” when trying to teach people astronomy

1 Like

Got some nice sunset pics at the game last night. Damn that crane though. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

LOVE that roof! Any way we can light it up at night too?

3 Likes

Our cat just hyper focused on a squirrel. Our cats love this window because we have a bird feeder and bird bath about 10ft away. Both get birds and squirrels. I’m not sure who’s more entertained, us or the cats with the critters.

6 Likes

Over at our bird feeder we have an orange tabby that shows up and sleeps underneath it. One morning I was watching him under the feeder while a small finch was feeding, and WHAM! The cat sprung up, bumped the feeder and snatched the bird in his mouth.

It was a David Attenborough moment. :wink:

4 Likes

Cats are interesting animals. Ours have infinite patience for some things, and zero for others.

3 Likes

These cats watch the Utes with us

6 Likes

One of ours hangs out with us when we’re on the couch watching something. The other only comes close enough for some pets, until he sees the dogs. He’s a weird cat.

4 Likes

The little guy’s back! :slight_smile:

Every fall this owl shows up hunting ?I don’t know what? in our back yard from a comfortable perch right above our patio table in the grape vine.

While it looks like a Great Horned Owl, it does not have yellow eyes, and is much smaller than any other Great Horned owls that I’ve ever seen. Head to tail, its probably only 10 inches tall max.

He only hangs out here for about a week each fall, but we’ll enjoy him until he leaves.

12 Likes

I REALLY want this old International Harvester Woody Station Wagon as a tailgate vehicle. But my spouse is not going to approve that purchase, so, I’m just posting some photos here:

6 Likes

I found where the Chick-Fil-A marketing cows go to retire! (Big Sur coastline)

6 Likes

It’s a great place to live, if it weren’t for all the damned vampires. :wink:

#LostBoys
#HalloweenComing

5 Likes

I know I shouldn’t go there, but… Mrs. 330 Ute occasionally enjoys an Old Woody. Don’t kick me off the board as that could have two meanings.

5 Likes

The minute I posted it I knew someone would… (no pun intended).

My predictions were, in order, Newbomb, and Greginslc :grinning:

From now on, I’ll include you in that… uh hum … company.

4 Likes

Great company to be in !:smirk:

4 Likes

When I saw that post, I was reminded of the roadster David McCallum drove in NCIS. When Leyland British Motor Car Company built that roadster, they used a wooden vehicle frame.

Classic cars…fun stuff.

2 Likes

8 Likes

On my way to my old farm house in So. Idaho, I came upon this. Exactly what this is and how it happened, may not be immediately obvious, but there’s a colloquial phrase that my wife and most of my former colleagues used (of which I am not fond) that perfectly describes it:

Shlt Show.

3 Likes

I get a reminder of photos from years past. This is from Sept 9, 2000 - the year of pandemic, earthquake, F-35 fighter jets flying over the cities of northern Utah in a salute to frontliners in Covid, etc.

Helluva year.

An unusual strong eastern wind coming from Wyoming over the Wasatch in Davis County produced some leeward dark, menacing clouds over the populated areas.

Antelope Island in the background, at sunset.

6 Likes