The cool pictures thread

Landing East at sunrise (LAX)

5 Likes

Uhhhh… who’s flying the plane?

lol - I used to get that question when showing photos taken while flying, like I was flying it down I-15.

Nice shot - San Gabriels?

4 Likes

Eliot Porter’s amazing high speed bird images

5 Likes

I got to visit Cambridge, England last week. The idea of a university being a thousand years old is just mind-boggling to me.

Some of my favorite snapshots.

Top to bottom: Queens’ College, St. John’s College, Peterhouse.

8 Likes

Moon setting over the South Pacific

4 Likes

Cambridge was one of the most interesting and memorable visits I ever made… anywhere. And I have virtually the same photo of the bridge at Queens’ College, both in my collection of slides, and in my mind.

4 Likes

Slides ? Very cool, for some strange reason I used to look forward to my Pops setting up an evening of slide viewing from our most recent vacations. Popcorn, hot chocolate and pajamas!

5 Likes

That’s the Mathematical Bridge… I found the history and the myths surrounding it as interesting as the bridge itself.

5 Likes

Yes, I was aware of the history of the bridge before I went to Quees’ College, in fact it was a major part of the impetus for the trip. I have degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science, (and love engineering and architecture). One of my professors, who became a significant mentor to me had attended University of Cambridge, and talked about the bridge and it’s design in a lecture.

For anybody interested in more details, here’s a pretty good piece on the topic.

https://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/visiting-the-college/history/college-facts/mathematical-bridge

4 Likes

Here’s a photo above Bountiful last Thursday, the Summer Solstice.

Farmington bay is fuller than it has been, Antelope Island is a familiar sight from this perspective, and if you zoom in just to the left of Frary Peak (high point of Antelope Island) you can see Pilot Peak, Nevada.

6 Likes

2 years difference… truly amazing

4 Likes