The cool pictures thread

Landing East at sunrise (LAX)

5 Likes

Uhhhh… who’s flying the plane?

lol - I used to get that question when showing photos taken while flying, like I was flying it down I-15.

Nice shot - San Gabriels?

4 Likes

Eliot Porter’s amazing high speed bird images

5 Likes

I got to visit Cambridge, England last week. The idea of a university being a thousand years old is just mind-boggling to me.

Some of my favorite snapshots.

Top to bottom: Queens’ College, St. John’s College, Peterhouse.

9 Likes

Moon setting over the South Pacific

5 Likes

Cambridge was one of the most interesting and memorable visits I ever made… anywhere. And I have virtually the same photo of the bridge at Queens’ College, both in my collection of slides, and in my mind.

4 Likes

Slides ? Very cool, for some strange reason I used to look forward to my Pops setting up an evening of slide viewing from our most recent vacations. Popcorn, hot chocolate and pajamas!

5 Likes

That’s the Mathematical Bridge… I found the history and the myths surrounding it as interesting as the bridge itself.

5 Likes

Yes, I was aware of the history of the bridge before I went to Quees’ College, in fact it was a major part of the impetus for the trip. I have degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science, (and love engineering and architecture). One of my professors, who became a significant mentor to me had attended University of Cambridge, and talked about the bridge and it’s design in a lecture.

For anybody interested in more details, here’s a pretty good piece on the topic.

https://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/visiting-the-college/history/college-facts/mathematical-bridge

4 Likes

Here’s a photo above Bountiful last Thursday, the Summer Solstice.

Farmington bay is fuller than it has been, Antelope Island is a familiar sight from this perspective, and if you zoom in just to the left of Frary Peak (high point of Antelope Island) you can see Pilot Peak, Nevada.

7 Likes

2 years difference… truly amazing

4 Likes

Uploading: 1000004934.jpg…
Processing: 1000004935.jpg…

9 Likes

Just returned from a long-anticipated trip to Greece. One of the coolest pics I took was the Temple of Poseidon at sunset.

18 Likes

A recent sunset as seen from the front yard of my old farmhouse in rural southern Idaho.

The building in the photo is the back of the Paris, Idaho, Mormon Tabernacle, built in the late 1880’s.

7 Likes

Over Lake Michigan

10 Likes

We were taken hostage at Smith and Morehouse a couple days ago. He came to eat the vegetation in our campsite and then hung around for about 3 hours. At one point he layed down about 10 feet from our trailer door. I could have had an in-depth conversation on his view of becoming Utah’s next mascot.

11 Likes

Where was Rocky?

Did he do a magic trick?

8 Likes

10 Likes

Not enough stars in the sky for “Moose and Squirrell”