The cool pictures thread

This one is labeled “Sugarhouse area farm” but it’s clearly south of Millcreek with Olympus in the background, looks more like 3900-4500 S and maybe 2000 east or so.

This one is interesting. Apparently Ottinger’s family put up a VFW after WWI just below what is today Memory Grove. That collection has a staggering amount of photos, it’s basically every negative he shot. (There’s even some nudies!)

5 Likes

Cool pic! I knew Ottinger Hall - it’s still rented out for events to this day - but I was unaware of its history.

Current Google Street view:

3 Likes

pulled from a SL development thread on Skyscraper.com page.
Luke Garrott, former CIty Councilman, has obtained may shots from drone work - this is perhaps the best recent shot of the famous telephoto view of Salt lake City, that makes the mountains see right up close LOL.

5 Likes

Thanks !! The history of aviation is fascinating and filled with some very interesting looking airplanes for sure.

I was privileged enough to get about an hour of flight time in a Ford Tri-Motor back in the 90’s, lucky to be one of a handful of people to have that in my logbook !

2c2b5_2_wtruck2

3 Likes

This is a photo I took in an abandoned cabin in Spring City, Utah a little over a year ago. It’s among one of my favorites and was taken on a Minolta SRT-201 with Cinestill BWXX film. I have a show coming up and this photo will surely be featured.

12 Likes

Spectacular photo - as I’m looking closely, it appears to be an old log cabin, that was modernized later with a lath and plaster interior, and some turn-of-the century window and picture moldings.

Judging by the rows of light leaking through the roof, I suspect the old place is no longer a candidate for rehab :frowning:

Nice work!

3 Likes

Tell us when your show occurs

5 Likes

From April, the boy paddling at Sugarhouse Park

4 Likes

I’m in the midst of a very challenging photography project that has required a lot of patience. I intended to shoot portraits of about 100 people which included their response to a prompt I created. Initially, I thought I would shoot everyone on film but I don’t think that’s realistic for a number of reasons, including cost and general practicality. I shot the above photos with a Sony digital and got pretty good results (also the next time I see her I’ll ask her to marry me). In one of the photos there is a distinct triangle of light on the left side of her face. This is called the “Rembrandt” effect and is highly sought after by photographers. These were taken at about 6:15 in a shady area at Liberty Park and I really liked the result. Film is very cool but such a pain and I’m not willing to risk wasting peoples time.

Edit: The last one is not ideal because despite the good pose, the shadows cover the eye sockets. Close though.

3 Likes

Go for it!!

1 Like

My favorite RC plane.

4 Likes

A-10 Warthog RC plane.

3 Likes

My very first RC plane. J3 Piper Cub.
IMG_5498

4 Likes

I’ve just been reading about this… thanks for the info, and nice work… please continue with your dedication to photography, and by all means, keep posting the results

4 Likes

Nice shot.

1 Like

Here’s one of the Space Needle I got the other day.

4 Likes

Delle, Utah, April 2022. Shot on Lomography film with a Minolta SRT 202 and a red filter. I chased the storm clouds west that day.

5 Likes

Are you in Seattle?