The cool pictures thread

LA, that sequence of photos is a little… sobering. Not even Elton John singing Circle of Life can buffer than visual.

(Fortunately, redtails rarely go after birds.)

We are hopeful that predators will not be interested in this little nest. It is built so that it is practically glued to our house, and is protected by an 8–10 foot overhang. There’s no place for a fox or a cat or other predator to climb to get up to the nest, and I don’t think any soaring predator like a red tail would venture that far under the overhang, and that close to the house. I hope so, anyway. Nature is pitiless around here, I’m afraid.

3 Likes

Wild flowers above North Salt Lake

10 Likes

Unaware of any rule about these “cool pictures” being from Earth, so here are 2 of the best screenshots I’ve ever taken on my characters in World of Warcraft. Compare this quality to the pixelated mess of 2004 LOL And it’s not even the latest expansion!

1 Like

This is frozen Virginia Lake in the eastern Sierras. On the first day of summer, 2023. At about 9500 ft. Expecting snow tonight. :smiley:

11 Likes

Ah the heyday of the Unisys Unix group. I worked there some two decades later and boy did it decline. The death knell was the company’s love letter to Microsoft then we all got laid off .

I’m not bitter.

Cool picture though.

2 Likes

The cool nights, and abundant moisture, have the lawns and lilacs (and everything else) in the Bear Lake thriving:

6 Likes

being an old fart, my brain still has trouble processing white lilacs, since lilac= a color even more than plant LOL

1 Like

Went to the theater to watch Olivier and Tony winner Jodie Comer in “Prima Facie.” Struck up a Convo with the guy in the row behind me and he was so nice he and my daughter took a picture together.

12 Likes

Blue Steel

2 Likes

Chas Tenenbaum

Should have asked him if they were going to make a Tropic Thunder sequel.

2 Likes

Zoolander

2 Likes

I was out walking our dogs when I came across this scene, which appeared right after the summer’s first cutting and baling of alfalfa.

9 Likes

From my weekend visit to Daniels Summit

4 Likes

From the flyover this past week celebrating 100 years of aerial refueling

8 Likes

Great shot, Diehard. The wingtip vortices of the trailing F35 is a good catch, too.

For those who wondered, “100 years of aerial refueling? Really?” look at this:

6 Likes

Here’s a really interesting aerial photo of SLC from the 1930s. On the top of the tabernacle is “Salt Lake Airport” with an arrow toward the airport. (Aviation navigation has come a ways since then.)

6 Likes

Fascinating photo!

Notice how North Temple did NOT extend east from State Street and become 2nd Ave then.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get this? There are no photos similar to this in the state historical archive, and at least what’s online through the LDS Church historical archive does not have anything like this. Must be some sort of Aviation Archive, huh?

Thanks for posting!

(Personal note: the old Assembly Hall in the lower right corner, is by far may personal favorite historical building from the era.)

1 Like

That is a really cool photo! Yes, we have come so far in navigation! I tip my hat to all the aviators of the past, they had balls of steel. I learned navigation with VORs and yes even NDBs although they were pretty much gone by then,but we still had to do NDB approaches for training. It’s sad that the up and coming pilots today are lacking in traditional navigation techniques and are not required to learn a lot of stick and rudder flying. I know I sound like the old get off my lawn guy, but its true.

4 Likes

Actually there are a ton of photos from Marriott Library at the U… which was much smaller in the day. The Park Building was pretty much the eastern edge of campus! (Wrap your mind around that!)

I found this George Ottinger photo collection at the U that is tedious to navigate, but there are some amazing photos: George M. Ottinger Photograph Collection | Department of Cultural and Community Engagement | J. Willard Marriott Digital Library (utah.edu)

Here’s one for 330 - runup in this monster might cause dust devils, then you’d have to contend with angry vegetable farmers:

5 Likes