The cool pictures thread

A photo of some of the beautiful wooden detail of a turn of the century brick Victorian home in the ballpark neighborhood. The house, along with others in the neighborhood will unfortunately be torn down this spring and replaced by an apartment building.

7 Likes

Our modest little home in Millcreek was built by hand in the 40’s.
Recently, we had the siding re-done with blown in insulation. Turns out the siding was 3/4 inch white pine planks. Hard as hell, and tough on the drill bits (so we had to pay extra.)
Anyway, my beloved old-sage neighbor came by and pointed out that the wood planks on the side of the house were all once part of the original forms for the foundation. Apparently, the forms were made, then washed, ripped diagonally and reapplied to the home. All with hand made tools.
The plaster walls have virtually no waves or divots. I know, because we took 3 layers of wallpaper off the walls and ceilings… On one wall written in pencil: “This wall was done by Slater, April 14th 1943.” We both wondered if Slater survived the war.
It’s a pleasure to live in, and we appreciate all the craftsmanship we continually discover.

13 Likes

Just a few photos I took out in Delle, Utah recently. Skull Valley is truly breathtaking. I’d recommend reading up on Iosepa, which was a settlement of Hawaiian LDS members. It’s fascinating, and shouldn’t be forgotten. @Ma-ake

7 Likes

Those are excellent photos. I love film. Yeah, digital is clear and beautiful but film just feels better. Film is also a learned skill. Anyone can take a nice shot with a digital SLR.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Skull Valley is a treasure. Beautiful photos! That landscape does well in B&W.

Iosepa - “Joseph” in Hawaiian - is a remarkable story. Iosepa, Utah - Wikipedia

What Utah’s Polynesian community has done recently at the site, and how they congregate to honor & celebrate their ancestors is exceedingly cool. Hard to imagine toughing it out in that landscape, but they were out in there from 1889 to 1915 in terrain not suited to farming. The nearby Goshutes probably thought they were crazy.

The history of Skull Valley is pretty amazing. Timpe Springs, or maybe Horseshoe Springs, is the last spot the Donner Party watered up at before making their sprint across the Great Salt Lake Desert to a spring on the SE corner of Pilot Peak / Waahkai, about 80 miles away, in the heat of late July / early August of 1846. “Hastings Cutoff” - as the sprint became a frantic agony of survival, the Donners left a whole bunch of stuff out on the Bonneville Salt Flats, there’s a museum of artifacts in Grantsville that is pretty rich.

I read some history about that entire idea, the shortcut across the GSL desert. In 1845 Lansford Hasting met with John C. Fremont, who had just mapped the area and noted the possibility of a shortcut. Apparently, Hastings never actually took the route himself, let alone a wagon train. He was a promoter, angling to become the first governor of California and thought this short cut would be a good way to get more people to California, which needed more citizens to become a state & not just a territory.

Fun fact about Skull Valley - there are a few scenes in Season 1 of Yellowstone that were shot there, supposed to be an Indian Reservation where these crazy men abduct a young Native American girl and take her away in their van. (I could see the Lake Bonneville Shoreline lines in the background, even if I wasn’t paying close attention to the plot.)

4 Likes

This is the Silver Island Range, just east of Wendover. The Hastings Cutoff runs through this area as well, and the landscape is dominated by the towering and impressive Pilot Peak which is pictured in a few photos below. I drove through a 57 mile loop in this area and the views for a desert rat like me were astounding. I’m certain @Ma-ake knows more about the range than I do.

6 Likes

More very cool photos! Love the B&W! Another photographers’ playground.

The Silver Island Mountains are part of the skyline you see when you’re driving to Wendover, the mountain backdrop of Bonneville Salt Flats north of I-80.

The Donner Party traversed the GSL desert in a west-northwest direction from the Cedar Mountains, across the playa & mudflats to the salt flats, through the Silver Island Mountains to Donner Spring, at the SE corner of Pilot Peak / Waahkai. (There’s still remnants of the wagon trail of the Hastings Cutoff, south of PP, probably 10 miles from Wendover on dirt road.)

Volcano Peak, on the SW part of Silver Island Range, near Wendover, with PP in the background (Over the years I let my desert-photography addiction extend into using a drone. I made a video of this trip: Great Salt Lake Desert - Silver Island Mountains - YouTube Still working on my video game, need shorter clips.)

From Graham Peak (highpoint of the SI Range) looking north to the Raft River Range near Idaho. Fun fact - the north side of the Raft Rivers drains to the Snake, the Columbia & into the Pacific:

Looking east from Graham Peak to the Newfoundland Mountains, the next range to the east in the GSL desert. (The “Newfies” are pretty isolated, 30+ miles from pavement. You have to cross the Union Pacific railroad east of Lucin. I got stuck out there once. Not advisable.)

Another couple of shots NE from Graham Peak, of the Newfoundland Mountain highpoint, Desert Peak, which is also pretty prominent from the east, from the Wasatch above Ogden (since there’s not any high ranges between the Wasatch and Pilot Peak). You can see Lake Bonneville Shoreline levels in the 2nd shot.

– The really cool thing about the Great Basin & photography is finding scenes that aren’t really apparent unless you explore, get offroad. Utah’s Red Deserts to the South are awesome, but pretty crowded. The West Desert is quick to offer solitude.

6 Likes

You’re easy to rope in.

2 Likes

I was out by the Saltair yesterday taking photos and stuck around long enough to capture this image. The state of the Lake is saddening but there is still remarkable beauty to be found out that way, and I felt lucky to have extended my trip so I could witness what seemed to be a profound sunset. I took a slew of film shots that I am excited to develop and I can’t wait to post them here.

5 Likes

I’m always jealous of those with the know how to do build

2 Likes

Wow - this was 20 years ago, today.

Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa (White Mountain and Long Mountain) on the Big Island, from Haleakala (House of the Sun) on Maui

3 Likes

6 Likes

Some film shots from The Great Salt Lake, taken last weekend.

7 Likes

Wow!
Great shot.

I’m realy digging the B&W. And I’m a guy who loves color.

ADIRONDACK IMAGES
5 Likes

those came from the Ogden, Utah Facebook page… I have no idea when they were taken or by whom… I’m just a rabid advocate for the glory of a city under the gaze of Mt. Ben Lomond. Timpanogos is taller by almost 1500 feet, but it doesnt have this sort of angle on the city.

3 Likes

Thats so cool. I wondered from what vista or aeroplane you aquired them…

Raybrook-Pond_D-1
Phelps-Mt-summit-sunset-behind-trees-and-Algonquin-single_1600px
Johns-Brook-Valley-Mt-Marcy-sunbeam-2020-Baxter_1600px

3 Likes
ELIOT PORTER IMAGES

Much different uses of light. Iv’e allways loved both Photographers.
I would like anyone to explain the difference for elucidation.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Photos of historical, mass-produced photographic prints, by M. B. Parkinson, published in 1897, which were very popular and very widely sold.

The first is a pair of casually framed 6x9 prints of Cupid (Asleep and Awake). Not certain of the origin, but these came to me by way of my maternal grandmother who had them hanging on her bedroom wall at the LDS Hospital Nursing School in the early 1920s. I inherited these from my mothers family recently.

Second, is an ~18x24 nicely framed print of Cupid Asleep. This originally hung in an old home on the Southeast corner of Center Street, and Fourth North, on Capital Hill in the very early years of the 20th century. My wife inherited it from her mother’s family recently - it had belonged to her maternal great-great grandmother.

We have an 1880s Victorian farm house in Southern Idaho, that we are restoring, where they will fit right in.

4 Likes