The 2022 Rose Bowl (!) Thread

Yes, briefly but adequately I thought.

I thought it very fitting and interesting that they played Bad Moon On the Rise. The fact that it didn’t sound like a tune they play regularly, I suspect it was a request.

1 Like

Our problem was that we got there a little later than we should have–but not all that late, and for that price they should’ve had plenty of food available.

I paid $50 for the official Alumni tailgate the last time we played at SDSU in the MWC. I wound up only getting a cheap steamed hot dog and a can of diet Coke. I realize these things are a fundraiser but that’s ridiculous. To run out of food at a big event like the Rose Bowl is unacceptable especially at $150 person.

Meanwhile if you RSVPed before they filled up you could have tailgated with some football alumni who were near us on the golf course and for $20 they had plenty of burgers, hot dogs, and taco fixings. I had already eaten or I might have had some but we just chatted with some of the former players.

The golf course was a cool place to tailgate and it was easy to get in and out. We left our hotel in West Covina at 7 and were parked in Lot 6 on the west side of the course by 745. It was a bit muddy in spots from the rain but not bad at all. It was great to be with our regular crew there and to meet new people.

I definitely want to go again if Utah makes it there again.

4 Likes

The Utefans dinner in Colorado Springs in 2010 during the farewell tour was an adventure. It didn’t cost a lot, but it was an adventure.

I thought the same thing. Where I thought that band nailed it was on Sam & Dave covers.

once concern I have is that if college football goes to an 8 or 12 team playoff (which seems inevitable) what happens to the Rose Bowl? I assume it would host playoff games and essentially kill the historical B1G vs. PAC12 matchup. I believe both conferences love the Rose Bowl and the history surrounding it and want to keep that alive, but I don’t think that’s possible.

One of the best recent Rose Bowls was the Georgia v Oklahoma playoff game. Bowl tie-ins should be considered but not law. This year was rare where it was a great game. Recently the Alliance didn’t bring a good game.

1 Like

Bulletin board material for USC, encouragement for our guys.

1 Like

I stopped reading as soon as they referred to Whittingham as "Urban Meyer’s defensive coordinated. Kyle as a coach is a Ron McBride/Fred Whittingham product. Meyer had some influence but not to the degree that Kyle should be called Urban’s anything.

Meyer did the equivalent of a coaching drive by at Utah, and now they are pretending like he has anything to do with anything 18 seasons later, idiots.

4 Likes

Can’t be bulletin board material if it’s true. And it is.

FTFO!

Yeah, I don’t see how it’s bulletin board material. It’s pretty hard to dispute that Utah is the program to beat in the South. Utah should be as good or better next year.

1 Like

You never know what can be used to motivate players. Hell, a good coach can turn grocery store coupons into bulletin board material.

1 Like

USC’s current issues can’t remotely be solved, or even helped in the slightest, by “bulletin board” material.

I wish it was that easy.

FTFO!

Guess what. The Utes face a new coach on the road next year and was the best upgrade of a coach of any major P5. It wasn’t SC, either. That first game is going to be a TOUGH one. Billy Napier is a hell of a coach. Biggest steal, IMHO.

According to 247 he will probably have a more talented team (He needs to pick up some recruits and keep kids out of portal) than SC as well in the oppressive Florida heat: 2021 College Football Team Talent Composite

If you can win that first game it will set up for a playoff run nicely.

1 Like

My happy place after a disappointment.

2 Likes

This guy must be calling Delta Airlines during the New Year debacle.

(H/T to @NewbombTurk for this.)

2 Likes

I remember Dave Letterman, when he retired, saying something essentially like, “I promised myself that when this stopped being fun I would retire 10 years after that…” I hope Whittingham is on the same plan.

1 Like

He’s one of my Top 5 college coaches right now. So underrated by the National media.

1 Like

Here’s a quick video I threw together of Saturday’s experience.

Utes in the Rose Bowl !!!

4 Likes