The 2019 Bruin Hunt: Might not be easy for the Utes

UCLA seems to be steadily improving. It’s good that we are playing them after a bye. That should help the Utes put the euphoria of the UW game behind them and focus on the business at hand.

We need to prepare for UCLA as if they were 9-0. We cannot take this game lightly.

7 Likes

I hope we enjoy the win and then train hard. Come in as serious as a heart attack…

2 Likes

Both teams have byes.
For sure, after watching the Wazzu-UCLA game Utes shouldn’t chillax. Score when you can.

2 Likes

UCLA is certainly better than they were at the start of the season, but I still think we handle them comfortably. Especially at home.

Glad we have a bye week, both to get healthy and to come down off the emotion of the Washington win. A let-down game next week would have been a real possibility.

6 Likes

UCLA right now looks a lot like Oregon State. They certainly have the ability to put up a lot of points, but probably aren’t going to score a lot against great defenses. Let’s hope the outcome of that game also looks a lot like the Oregon state game.

5 Likes

UCLA has a much better QB than Oregon State

3 Likes

See my football post on an Oregon Live newspaper article on Oregon and Utah relative to the CFP. Both teams need to create statement wins over the next three games, both have byes this week, and one will emerge from Santa Clara.

Post.

No reason it can’t be the Utes.

We have booked to come to SLC to see make that first statement win. Tailgate anyone?

2 Likes

ESPN FPI has utah as a 90% favorite. UCLA’s defense is just bad giving up almost 300 yards per game through the air and 130 on the ground. Colorado is a terrible team. I really am not worried.

Seriously, their defensive efficiency is 7th in the pac. We have played four teams higher than them (Wash, USC, ASU, and Cal) we beat all but USC and dump trucked Cal. BYU is higher than them and our offense crushed them.

Their offensive efficiency is 73. We have played Wazzu (5th nationally 1st conf), OSU (10th nationally; 3rd in conf), USC (23rd nationally, 5th in conference), Washington (27th and 6th), ASU (68th and 9). We crushed the top two, lost to USC (hate them), did okay against wash and crushed ASU.

Give Whitt a week to prepare he’s good. You give them two weeks, he’s nigh unbeatable. He is Hannibal from the A-team. Fotu is Mr. T. Huntley is the pilot guy (because throw game) and Moss is Face. Can’t stop them.

5 Likes

I’m really not convinced that Thompson-Robinson is better than Luton. I’d actually put them on par with each other. I suspect the Utah game will be season-low stats for both of them

4 Likes

OSU guy is 61st in efficiency. DTR is 63.

TH is 6th FWIW.

1 Like

Looks like the very definition of “on par”. Thanks for providing that link. Good stuff.

1 Like

I hope we come in refreshed, prepared and hungry.

1 Like

I actually think the team now has the eye of the tiger. The prize is in sight and they want it. They’ll be fun to watch the rest of the way.

6 Likes

But DTR is much more mobile so he gives you another dimension you have to account for. That was why I considered him tougher for us.

1 Like

Then drop Fotu or Anae on him early and see how he does. I remember the 10 sack game against UCLA and I see no reason we can’t do the same again.

4 Likes

You are always welcome to tailgate with the Shasta crew. Roughly the same spots as where the Pirate Ship (RIP) used to be.

Game time announced at 6pm if you didnt know. Fox TV

2 Likes

And with respect to USC, I was just looking at that recently and if I read the play by play correctly, we controlled the game statistically, but we missed a FG in first half, fumbled on 1st and goal at the 2 yard line, and in the second half settled for a FG after a 3rd and Goal at the 1 yard line, and later on after a 3rd and Goal at the 2 yard line. So but for a redzone nightmare, we might have routed them. We had more yards (457-381), nearly 17 min more time of possession, and 11 more 1st downs. I’m not claiming a Poppinga victory, but I’m also not going to act like we didn’t do almost everything we needed to do to win that game. It was actually a critical learning opportunity for this team.

3 Likes

Dont forget they had four big passes and three were on scrambles. That was the game.