Thank You Jack Tuttle

If Jack hadn’t have committed to Utah, we might be stuck with Zach Wilson on scholarship.

When Wilson first started last year, I was pissed we missed on him. This season has proven I was wrong. He keeps making the same mistakes over and over. It was a good miss for the Utes.

2 Likes

Don’t you think part of that is coaching. If he kept throwing to the other team this staff would sit him until he learned not to. If it kept happening he would keep sitting. I’m thankful for Tuttle because his leaving left the door open to get other players like Rising.

4 Likes

Wilson appears to be pretty talented in a lot of respects. BYU coaching staff appears to really suck. Maybe in the off-season they will make the appropriate adjustments to win the 2020 Hawaii Bowl.

1 Like

Tuttle is 3rd string at Indiana behind a really good freshman and a junior with starting experience. Had he stayed the transfers probably wouldn’t have come to Utah and he would most likely be starting next year. Funny how being impatient can bite you in the ass sometimes. My hunch is he transfers to Sacramento State, or some other Big Sky program next year.

I think Wilson has peaked at byu. He makes some plays but overall he seems to hurt byu when they need him to step up the most.

3 Likes

If Tuttle does transfer again, he will be Utah’s own Jake Heaps story, except he never played at Utah and we got got the better end of the trade. Now that is the art of the deal.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, Roderick is his QB coach… We saw the difference between Snoops frosh year and Troy Taylor’s iPhone offense. Then we saw the difference between Troy Taylor and our current OC. Felt bad for Travis and feel for Zach.

4 Likes

I had forgotten Roderick moved onto BYU. Your summation of the coaching changes here shows how things have improved in 3 years. Even with Taylor’s iphone offense we were better without Roderick. Thankfully the team was much better this year w/o the iphone offense.

3 Likes

It was a troubled time for Utah’s offense. For the record, we had talent on that side of the ball but not a lot of development. This year we saw both talent and development. The truth is Ludwig’s time away learning and growing as a coach, and being a close friend of Whitt was the difference. We saw progress.

I do not believe Tuttle’s departure had a role in the changes. A player who never got a sniff to taking a snap is always going to be a big zero in the calculation.

Comparing Tuttle to Heaps is sort of unfair as well. We wrecked Heaps. After playing the Utes, that kid was emotionally and physically shattered. Though he occasionally showed flashes of talent after that beat down, he never played up to it again. Tuttle never even got to the point of taking a live snap. The only thing these two had in common were helicopter parents riding the idea these kids were destined for the NFL.

I am simply glad to see we have an offense to go with the defense now.

4 Likes

As with JH, it seems like Wilson has the same notoriety of a legacy family on social media/not always in synch with coaching.
But I digress. It’s the cyclical, reality-TV esque drama of that program. They deserve each other.

2 Likes

From what I remember, Wilson was no where on the radar for our QB recruiting ranking back then. Good kid, but the coaching staff just had their eyes set on other prospects.

In little league and HS football, kids learn early to never leave their feet to advance another yard. The mistake is rare at that level. For a QB it would be a triple No. They do see RBs in the NFL dive over the line at the goal line but they know that is not for them. Last, a play like that to jump in the air with the ball stretched out on third down is lack of awareness of down and distance. Coaching is either not there or is not sticking to the player. Covered in 101.

1 Like

Tuttle looked good early in IU’s bowl game but then threw a terrible pick and now looks completely rattled.

1 Like

Given how Wilson turned out, this is a funny thread a year later.

Given how quickly and easily Wilson went from being nobody to a first round NFL draft pick, I wonder how many high school QBs will wisely consider G5 programs with weak defensive opponents??

Think about if three or four QB, RB, and WR five star recruits got together and said, let’s go to Hawaii and have fun for three years until we are draft eligible and not worry about competition from teammates or defenders.

That’s what I would do given it appears NFL scouts don’t weight a prospect’s level of competition that much.

2 Likes

Now, I really should know (since I’m posting on football forum) but I don’t: but, what happened with Tom Brady? Like, was he a spectacular quarterback in a lower-tier conference and was drafted like a hundred and somethingth, right?
I’m not particularly struck by him, but you can’t argue with how remarkable this career has been. How often do people make that happen?

He was buried on Michigan’s depth chart, may have played one full season but wasn’t anything spectacular. Had he gone to a G5 team, he may have had three or four spectacular years and been drafted much higher. Something to think about. There’s also QBs of P5 teams who get noticed because they’re in the limelight. Kyler Murray, for example, had he lit it up at a G5, not sure if he gets drafted…too small and maybe the fact that his opposition was weak comes into play.

If I was a high school kid with a Jeff George arm, I think I may go to a G5, the scouts seem to weigh measurables and combine results more than college achievements with QBs. Look at Josh Allen. Didn’t even have to win on the G5 level and scouts loved him. The USU QB also.

2 Likes

Seems that the Wilson hype, is just that hype. I don’t understand why he’s suddenly a top 5 draft prospect. He was torn apart by our defense last time we played them.

Good for him, but there may be some buyer’s remorse from whomever drafts him.

3 Likes

He’s definitely benefitting from Josh Allen’s success and Packer’s unusual confidence in the Jordan Love draft pick

1 Like

Jordan Love at least gets to learn from one of the all time greats. Josh Allen is pretty good in his own right. Wilson? I just don’t see it. Perhaps I’m wrong, if I am then all the more power to Wilson. I just get the feeling the hype is not deserved.

1 Like