Thank You Jack Tuttle

Dick Harmon says the hype is deserved. That’s not enough for you? :grin:

4 Likes

I get it, Wilson has had a great season playing against less than stellar opponents. That being said, looking back if he ended up at Utah as he wished, we’d all be talking about how great he is and how he will be a great pro. He has a big arm, runs well and has a lot of upside. Personally I think we (Utah football) really missed out on recruiting/signing him.

4 Likes

I’ve made no predictions. I only saw him play twice, and he looked good to me. A cannon arm is almost a prereq in the NFL, and he has that, so why can’t he be good? He’s got as much of a shot as the other QBs who will go in the first round.

People here are acting as though Wilson is a 1st rounder based on his gaudy stats against bad teams. The QBs at Coastal Carolina, UCF, and Liberty also put up big stats against bad teams this season. Why aren’t they 1st rounders? It’s all about Wilson’s arm and his ability to make NFL throws.

Now, most first round QBs don’t work out, so predicting that he’ll fail is the safest bet. It’s the safest bet for Trevor Lawrence and Joey Burrow and all the others too.

1 Like

I’ve watched him play. He gets rattled easily. Wilson is good but not great.

3 Likes

another thing that is critical to be a good NFL QB is the ability to go through receiver progressions. I’ve heard (and this is clearly beyond my arm chair analytic capabilities) that Wilson has/had trouble with that. This years byu schedule didn’t help improve that.

That may be true, but if he has the arm, it’s not crazy for them to hope they can teach him the rest of what he needs.

I was fascinated with the way Josh Allen was treated leading up to the draft. Every college football writer I read thought it was crazy that he should be a first round draft pick. After all, he was from a P5, and he wasn’t even particularly good at that P5. On the other hand, every NFL scout thought it would be crazy for him not to go in the first round. I was rooting for him because, even thought it happens so regularly, I still enjoy seeing the G5s prove the experts wrong.

I think this is part of the reason he will struggle. He might have the physical gifts and be able to make the ‘NFL throws’ but if he hasn’t been taught by now, it’ll be hard to get him up to speed on reading defenses better, recognizing disguises, going through his reads, and making the right decisions. He gets rattled and panics and might scramble or force a throw with his physical talents which increases turnovers which will get him yanked. And that’s if he proves it during practice and eventually sees the field. This year, he could generally stare down his receiver and the defenses of the teams he played were outmatched so he could get away with it. Many of his long balls were underthrown but his receivers went and got them. All of it just doesn’t bode well for seeing the field let alone succeeding unless he takes what he can get which would turn him into a game manager (which is fine too), but he will try to force it to prove himself as a star his mom tells him he is.

1 Like

Did you drop 8 or have some blitz packages? Or was it 3 alligator? :wink:

2 Likes

Not me. I don’t root for BYU players, past or present.

Y’all have convicned me. You’ve seen more of him than I have, and I’m happy to know he’ll be John Beck, part II.

1 Like

none of us know (even the guys paid big money to make those picks), that’s sort of the beauty of it.

in my hood it was “Mississippi’s” not “alligators” and it was a minimum if 4, sometimes as much as 6

2 Likes

A year or so after my marriage, I was watching a Utah game with my wife, and she started getting upset.

Her: I don’t think they’re counting.
Me: Counting what?
Her: Mississippi’s. I checked on the last few plays, and I don’t think they are counting 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi up to five. I think they’re cheating.

4 Likes

You should have tried the fumblerooski.

this topic has the potential to be a great thread

I say this clearly aware that my wife is much smarter than me and that enough time has passed that any trouble I could get into for mentioning should be minimal. Years ago we lived in some apartments downtown not far from the U while my wife was going to graduate school. It was a big complex with 300+ apartments. I had a plunger and was trying to unclog a sink and was having some trouble. My wife called the apartment manager and told them we needed some plumbing service and then confidently mentioned that thought thought it was an issue with our septic tank?

Classic.

Its not like my wife grew up on a farm in Randolph, she grew up in Sandy.

I have dropped that line here and there over the years at opportune times just to keep our marriage fresh. And when I mean fresh I mean taking a break from physical intimacy. :confused:

4 Likes

I think Wilson will do well. If he doesn’t that’s fine too. Either way, he’ll be eating steak for awhile.

My question is where will Sam Howell land after next year? If he isn’t the second coming of Baker Mayfield then I don’t know who is. That kid can do whatever the football term is for balling-out.

Wilson did not play for the U, however, in the two games he played in against the Utes he threw more TD passes to utes than to cougars. In a small way, he has benefited us.

3 Likes

Wilson’s TD pass to Blackmon in 2018 was HUGE, I’m not sure we win that game without it, we were down several key players and needed someone to step up.

i wish he had stayed. Three years of Tuttle Mash jokes would have been great. I love that show.

btw i think he is over in post op

1 Like

Height: 6’4" Hair: Auburn

3 Likes