Texas A&M fan visiting for Oregon state game

Hi all,
I’m looking for advice. I’m in SLC area for a conference until Sunday and if time permits, I’d love to check out a Utah game day, but I’ve never been to the Utah campus. Im a huge college football fan and a Texas A&M Aggie (I know we’ve had a rocky season so far).

Anyway, I’d appreciate any recommendations on where to visit before the game, any tailgating, best way to get a ticket? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to SLC! Hope you have a wonderful time. I don’t have the scoops on tix but someone here will. bring your earphones. It’s a spirited stadium. hope you have a great time.
Go Aggies. Go UTES!

2 Likes

I was surprised when I saw football and the LDS conference were double booked. Be prepared for rain if for no other reason than the old adage around here “When the Mormons meet, the heavens weep.” :wink:

You can get tickets through your Ticketmaster app (if you don’t already have them). Even though it’s Homecoming, I am sure there will be folks looking to sell.

Enjoy the game and enjoy your visit. GO UTES!!!

1 Like

If you’re staying downtown, it’s easy to get to the game via TRAX, though downtown is going to get pretty congested from 10a-noon and then again in the afternoon after 4p because of the LDS General Conference.

Hopefully you have a car - after the game you could check out Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon (which has a “U” shape as it was carved out by a glacier during the ice age),or go up to Park City or Big Cottonwood Canyon.

SLC is right next to the Wasatch Mountains, so it’s like the Disneyland of outdoor stuff to do (except ocean activities). The colors are just starting to turn in Utah’s autumn.

Another quick & easy mountain drive after the game is Emigration Canyon just east of the U campus which crosses over into Parley’s Canyon, where I-80 connects San Francisco to NYC. Emigration Canyon is the route the infamous Donner Party came down into the SL Valley (then Mexico) before they took really bad advice to cross the Great Salt Lake Desert & Bonneville Salt Flats to the west, and is also the canyon the Mormon settlers used to come into the Salt Lake Valley a year later. (A year after that this area became part of the US after the Mexican-American war ended).

Great Salt Lake is a quick trip west on I-80, it’s at all time record low, so lots of playa to walk on. There’s some concern with our ongoing drought it could dry up altogether, so might want to say you’ve seen it.

SLC has more night life than it’s ever had, which is to say very little.

Enjoy! A lot of PAC fans come to Utah games because fall is a great season to be in northern Utah, usually.

1 Like

Welcome! Head up early and visit the campus. You’ll see some random tailgaters around, but head over the the main tailgate lot south east of the stadium. Lots of friendly people who are willing to share.
Head to the stadium about 1/2 hour before kickoff so you don’t get caught in the crush of just-on-time arrivers.
You will probably be able to find tickets at the game. Early games always have some who can’t come due to obligations like kids football or soccer. You could also check KSL.com Classifieds. Prices will probably go down the closer to game time you get.

2 Likes

GREAT advice! Thank you

1 Like

Planetarium is top notch too!

2 Likes

If you wander around the main Guardsman Way tailgate lot you will get to meet a lot of friendly people. Utah Pig Bus(Porky) is a good place to stop. Our group is right across from the Pig crew. We’re doing breakfast burritos as are many others it seems. Bring a few bucks to chip in for food and beverages if necessary although many might just invite you to join without a donation. It’s going to be great football weather I think. Go Utes!

1 Like

Awesome thanks!

Ended up chatting with some great folks, who offered a ticket to the game. It was GREAT. I was impressed how packed the stadium was. Such a cool experience, thanks for all the recommendations! Now if only the Aggies would play better…

9 Likes

Glad you enjoyed your time. We still fondly remember when the Aggies visited in 2004. Both for the game, and the interaction with A&M fans that came. I remember them doing the midnight yell in downtown SLC and thinking how cool that was.

2 Likes

That App State loss had to sting more than a little. Then again the Fun Belt Conference made quite a mess of a number of P5 teams this season.
edit: Beatings Jerry’s ‘Hogs in Jerry’s House had to feel pretty good.

1 Like

[quote=“Aggiefan, post:1, topic:7673”]

Hi all,
I’m looking for advice. I’m in SLC area for a conference until Sunday and if time permits, I’d love to check out a Utah game day, but I’ve never been to the Utah campus. Im a huge college football fan and a Texas A&M Aggie (I know we’ve had a rocky season so far).

Anyway, I’d appreciate any recommendations on where to visit before the game, any tailgating, best way to get a ticket? Thanks in advance!

Recorded mostly in dive-bars in texas:
1 Like

That’s awesome to hear! I like to think Aggies are good people—as are the Utes!

…add a Mississippi state loss. This whole seasons stings—especially after our high recruiting class. We need a better OC!

1 Like

I’m an Aggie fan too. Not an A&M alum, just a fan. You can thank TU fans after living in Austin for a bit for this.

Fisher is a great recruiter, a la Mack Brown. I’m not sold on his coaching. In a way he reminds me of a more expensive Kevin Sumlin. It really does look like A&M is under achieving based upon the recruiting that Jimbo has done.

Perhaps you guys need a new OC, perhaps it’s just all the talent not gelling like you would hope. It looks like 8-4 may be a reach for this season.

2 Likes

I remember that well. That was the year before we bought the trailer, so we took Trax to the game. As we were waiting on the platform, we had two aTm fans that we were talking with. I still remember what they said. “You guys have something really special this year. This is the only team I’ve seen that could make a BCS bowl game. I hope you do, you just handed our jocks to us.”

2 Likes

Kind of you, but don’t think todays crowd was as energetic as expected. Seems impossible to get butts in seats at kickoff.

2 Likes

Doubly so at noon on a Saturday. All three of my kids had soccer games today, so we were late getting to RES.

Priorities.

3 Likes

Yep. Been there. Plus conference.

But it isn’t a one-off. Doesn’t matter the time. Doesn’t matter the day. Kickoffs for whatever reasons are half full. Almost feels like a Utah tradition anymore.