Still no respect i see

True - I was looking at what games were on this weekend and a game with 2 ranked teams usually piques my attention. There is one in the ACC - 18NC State vs 9WF (last week’s CFP rankings) but it’s on ACCN. UVA is on ABC, but only because they are playing ND.

Can’t believe how down ACC is. They have Clemson, Louisville, Miami, Florida St., VTech who have been in the national picture over the years and all are not good.

1 Like

Aside from Wake the ACC has been a dumpster fire. There was so much hype about Mack Brown reviving UNC, and it’s been a dud. Except for Clemson over the last several years, what does the ACC have to show for itself-- a one off team every so often?

I know that we, as Ute fans, pissed and moaned about the ACC prior to our entry into the PAC. I’d still place them overall below the PAC in quality. The ACC just gets eyeballs because of its time zone. The same could pretty much be said of the BIG XII, outside of Oklahoma, how consistently good has the BIG XII been? Well, we already know the Power 5 conferences are top heavy, and the top of each conference is generally good. The PAC just doesn’t pass the eyeball test because of time zone, and how many teams, us included recently, crapped the bed during bowl season?

I kind of feel like Mack has done (in a return trip) to UNC what Bronco has for UVA - brought respectability back but not anything elite. Like at Texas, loses games they should win. The Wake coach has done a really good job - no way he’s there for much longer.

1 Like

SEC needs to do so. Georgia has the soft as Charmin division being called the greatest team ever. Their best win was UK. Meh

2 Likes

Well, that could be changing actually once Texas and Oklahoma finally join the SEC. That likely would trigger divisional realignment in the SEC. I think they’d move Auburn and Alabama to the East Division and move Missouri to the West Division. That would allow Texas and Oklahoma to join the SEC West, theoretically balancing the divisions:

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

West
Arkansas
Mississippi State
Missouri
LSU
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Texas
Texas A&M

Nope. Group of 4 pods is what is being talked about.

PFFT I am not impressed We WACers did the 16 team league first AGES ago lol

2 Likes

Ask the WAC how that worked. Wasn’t pretty, but perhaps the SEC can make it work.

1 Like

No offense to the WAC but this is the SEC. This is what I have seen most floated around:

Pod A: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Pod B: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pod C: LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Pod D: Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma

Here’s the proposed 9-game conference schedule format:

• Play the three teams in your pod every season
  • Play two games against each of the other pods
  • Host every team at least once every four seasons

We basically lose LSU rivalry every year and Auburn loses UGA.

I don’t recall the details on the WAC’s version, but IIRC they tried to keep pods regional, and play similarly to what you just suggested. At least with the SEC you mostly have programs that have historical ties. The old WAC, aside from the core 8 or so programs did not.

I really hate the expansion but I am not mad about the new scheduling if that happens. I would like them to kill the Cupcake 1-AA/G5 week for another Conference game like Coach Saban has advocated for the last decade or so.

1 Like

Screw the $EC. Having 1-2 good teams and a bunch of cupcakes :cupcake: with names from days gone past (in some cases way gone past) is not much of a conference. Texas and OU just add names to the list.

Once I start seeing them actually canibalize one another the way the PAC 12 and B1G do to one another every week, then we’ll talk.

6 Likes

I mean, SEC has only 1 or 2 good teams but 3 different teams who won a National Title in the last 12 years and 4 that have played for it. Granted one of those teams won 6 of the last 12. It’s weird how they don’t cannibalize each other with 4 teams making the title game and the Pac 12 having one team, ACC having two, and the Big 1G having one. How does that work, Greg? Wouldn’t it be the schools with multiple teams making the championship game that would fit the “Cannibalize each other” argument? For the record, I don’t buy it for any conference.

Edit: I’m not an “SEC! SEC! SEC!” guy but they have a winning record as a whole against the other P5s since 2010. Their best results in order are against the Pac 12, Big 1G, Big XII, and then the ACC.

Honest question: is it also because top-tier teams from the SEC or other “premium league” teams (by the time they play an unfamiliar opponent, under intense conditions) are already well practiced, well rested, with excellent depth, plenty of opportunities to rotate their 2’s & 3’s in previous games, able to scheme larger strategies against less dangerous oponents and let’s not forget SEC/time zones and historical media hype (along with excellent coaching and just fantastic athleticism) on their own?
What were the circumstances of Alabama schedule before they played Utah when we beat them in 2009?

I honestly look forward to playing Alabama or Clemson, or Ohio State et al… anytime in the future. Win or loose.
I sincerely hope that we can beat any worthy opponent handily, without cheap shots or poor sportsmanship.

Football is a game of heart and I love this team for its heart.

I really don’t care about any other team’s success. I only know how strong this community is.
Both on and off the field.
Go UTES!

2 Likes

Actually…no. Traditionally they DO select the highest ranked team, but it’s not an obligation, or anything contractual. It’s their party and they can select whomever they want if they lose the PAC 12 champion to the playoffs.

Barely worth mentioning as Utah has got this. You can look forward to my Pasadena and surrounding area dining and bar guide once its official.

FTFO!

2 Likes

I am more in line with your last statement. I could care less about the Conference and all the conference pride some of these teams have. I actively cheer against the SEC. But, let’s answer your questions. I don’t think the time zone thing is a factor for the SEC since half the conference is CST. The Big 1G and ACC should dominate more because they are in the EST and produce more journalists than the SEC.

The depth part I agree with. Look at 247sports.com. The SEC from top to bottom recruits better than any other conference. So, yes they have more depth that are classified top tier talent. Let’s look at last year’s talent.

Top 25 classes by conference
Pac 12-2 teams (SC and Oregon) both of those are top 10. The #3 Pac 12 school was Cal at 28. Right behind Missouri. So Cal would have been the #12 SEC school in recruiting.
ACC- 4 teams (Clemson, UNC, Miami and FSU) only Clemson in Top 10.
Big XII- 2 Teams (Texas and OU) OU in Top 10.
Big 1G- 7 teams (Iowa, PSU, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland and Ohio State) Only OSU in Top 10.
SEC- 10 teams (Miss State, Ark, Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, TAMU, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama) 4 in Top 10.

So, yes… talent and depth is what help the SEC. Also, the narrative is bolstered by NFL Draft picks.

It all starts on signing day for every conference. There is ZERO reason that there are 10 teams in the Top 25 and 4 in the Top 10 and three of the Top 5 from the SEC. I really think Utah should be a Top 25 if not 15 recruiting school.

I really appreciate your well-thought-out response and I do agree I don’t know, what the magic is…
But, short of payola or other shenanigans, you know, I would hope that we continue to inspire students on hearts and minds.
The reality is that we have a very well-established institution, with well recognized Majors and large Departments in multiple disciplines. Utah is an excellent school that does a lot of important research &$ venture capitalism. The University of Utah ranks almost anywhere in the United States and also well internationally. Respected metrics confirm this.
This has nothing to do with football but the fact that we are actually quite accomplished in both is important, and that’s the point.
With that, I’m tired of University of Utah being treated as a redheaded stepchild as it were.
We have a lot to do though. That is true.

2 Likes

It’s literally contractual.

The contract, known as a tri-party agreement, is between the Tournament of Roses, Big Ten and Pac-12.

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

If Oregon was to make the CFP AND there was only 1 other CFP ranked PAC12 team (and only the CFP rankings matter and they only go to 25), they would be under contract (and tradition) to take that team. If there are more, the cluster caveat could take effect (although it’s generally tradition to go with highest ranked). If there are no others, well, they could then technically select whichever team they want.

1 Like

Good news on the CFP rankings front. We entered this weeks ranking at #24; Oregon moved up to #3. As long as Utah doesn’t trip up against Arizona, the game against Oregon will be set up nicely for us.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/rankings.aspx

8 Likes