Start of Conference play

Great, great win!

The foundation of this victory was getting beat by Sam Houston State, IMO.

We have grit, and we have versatility.

5 Likes

laat time Utah defeated a top 5 team was #1 Alabama in 2002

7 Likes

The SHS and miss st game definitely won As this game. Werenā€™t affected by the physicality of AZ like we normally were.
Carlson stepping up was huge. Worster with a near triple double for the 2nd time in his career. Great team win!

2 Likes

Theme of the weekend: Utes knock off the #4 team in the nation.

13 Likes

And they passed the test. I think thatā€™s a pretty big thing for this crew.

2 Likes

That was an awesome game. Thanks to @LAUte , I was able to see it in person with a relative from overseas ā€“ it was his first Utes MBB experience. A positive start. Haha

2 Likes

You beat me to it ! But I love the sound of that.

1 Like

Nice win on the 10th anniversary of Big Ricks death! The Sweater lives on

6 Likes

The last 2 minutes of the game, the entire crowd (sans the visiting Zona fans) gave the Utes a standing ovation. Great result last night and one we can hopefully build on.

During the early second half when Wildcats made a brief rally, started hearing that obnoxious familiar U of A chant, which thankfully was squashed as Utes steadied themselves and held on for our best win in a long time.

7 Likes

That is only surpassed by the Southern Cal bandā€¦

7 Likes

I was the first to say letā€™s hire Craig Smith. When I got push back that it should be Alex Jensen, I said letā€™s see how well Patric Ewing has worked out for Georgetown.

Nobody has thanked me.

Also, people poopooed Smithā€™s first recruiting class. Itā€™s starting to look like a haul.

The Utes are back!

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say the Utes are ā€œbackā€ just yet. Last night was a huge step for the program, and it was wonderful to see Utah beat such a quality opponent. But letā€™s see how the next few games go. Consistency will be the next hurdle.

7 Likes

Last night was a good win. Letā€™s see if they can keep it going. We have seen ā€œone offā€ wins like this before that turned right around into a string of losses to lesser teams, AKA the WTF.

To use a version of a Yogi Berra, we arenā€™t back until we have proved it with a championship and a trip to March Madness. For 2023 we have a long way to go before we get to those benchmarks.

1 Like

To me, as long as Utah finishes the season mid-pack in P12 and competitive in all games, then I think it would a meaningful progress.

3 Likes

What? This is what LAUte calls a Signature Win.

One thing I forgot aboutā€¦Pelle Larsson transferred to Arizona. Makes this win even better. I donā€™t hate on players who transfer out, but if we play their new team, I want to beat them.

7 Likes

Nope. But yours is a signature SU post.

Credit, brother. I remember thinking he would be a good hire, I liked what he did in Logan. (Alex Jensen is having a great career in a different sport.)

One marquee victory over a conference blue blood does not a season make, but thereā€™s reason to think we can fight our way into the top half of the league, this year.

Smith also has the benefit of getting the ugly ball out while FB is making Ute fans very happy, so while the crowds start coming back, for all of us in Ute nationā€¦ success in hoops is all gravy.

2 Likes

First step in the return to competence is to GET TOUGH AT HOME. Maybe that has been accomplished?

Step 2 is to start winning some road games. Donā€™t expect to win them all (nobody does that) but itā€™s a good sign if you can beat the bad teams on the road, and win a few against decent teams. WSU isnā€™t great, but they are OK. This next game will be a good test. Maybe weā€™ll find out if the AZ game was a fluke, or an indication that the Utes are ready to compete for a spot in the post season.

1 Like

My sense is it was a bit of both. AZ didnā€™t have their best game, probably underestimated what weā€™d bring.

But weā€™re clearly better, too. Keita and Exacte are newcomers that present serious problems, along with Ben as another solid, fundamentally sound big.

1 Like