Shingles vaccine

I got the 2nd round of the Shingles vaccine yesterday, and folks it’s kicking my rear end. I think this is almost worse than the time I had COVID. The headache and the body aches are quite hellish. Without giving too much detail, my new hips are working nicely when I sprint to the toilet. You know it’s bad when Ginger Ale, Sprite, Coke, Dr. Pepper, and Ginger Ale Lemonade all sound terrible. Monk is nice to doze to.

I get my 2nd dose in a few weeks. The first one was worse than my COVID vaccinations. Not looking forward to the next one.

1 Like

Mine weren’t too bad. A sore arm. Same with Covid vaccines and annual flu shots. Wish I knew what makes the reactions different for different people.

4 Likes

Isn’t getting old fun?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Mrs CCU said I had to get it once I was eligible. She got shingles and it kicked her butt for a few painful months. I did the dosage for shingles and that vaccine kicked my butt for 3 or 4 days, but was ok afterwards. Now hopefully I never get the stupid disease.

2 Likes

Wait, what? I didn’t realize it was a multi dose thing. Are there different options? I just got the shot yesterday as I happened to have a periodic checkup, and was reminded I just became ‘eligible’ with my recent birthday. Somehow I thought it was supposed to be a single dose.

2 Likes

Same for me, just a sore arm for a couple of days

3 Likes

Same here. Just a sore arm and nothing else.

4 Likes

Same here. I’m curious. I didn’t have any reaction. Looks like I’m missing something.

3 Likes

This is a year old but it’s informative.

I got Shingrix same time as the latest flu vaccine. No reaction. I’ll have to ask my pharmacist if I got the second Shingrix shot. I’ve been such a pincushion lately I’m having trouble keeping track.

3 Likes

Had no issue first shot. Second shot got flu like symptoms for about 18 hours. Then fine. A very small price to pay to avoid what I’ve seen some people go thru with actual shingles. Oh and you can get shingles in your eyes. Think about that…

3 Likes

After a good night’s rest, I’m ready to take on the day. That was a misery I would rather not repeat. Compared to what the actual illness is described as, I got off easy.

May you all have the appropriate amount of fawning from your subjects on this Father’s Day.

6 Likes

It beat me up for a day or so and the arm hurt a little more than the flu shot, but well worth the trouble. No one wants shingles. Not a character building experience…
I recall the pnuemovax shots as the hardest of the bunch.

4 Likes

Same with me. Pharmacist told me the second one would be worse, but it was actually milder than the first. Side effects should only last a day. Anyway, beats the alternative if you know anyone who ever had shingles.

2 Likes

Maybe mine was bad because I got a TDAP booster at the same time.

1 Like

Could be. I got the TDAP separately. I did have a flu and shingles shot at the same time however.

1 Like

What I hate, besides losing my 35" vertical, is needing readers. I’m now 53 and this year started really needing those. That said, I’ve heard I’m a bit lucky in that many needed those way before their 50’s.

1 Like

When you turn 60, bifocals become trifocals.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear it is giving you hell right now… but please trust me, the alternative is far far worse. I developed it while stuck in that Nursing Home for 3 years, on the entire R side of my head/neck… Made it impossible to sleep until body was just exhausted and shut down. God willing, now that Ive had that vaccine I’ll never have a repeat.
We’ve all heard the expression “I wouldn’t do that to my worst enemy!”… well, guess what… I ABSOLUTELY would do this to my worst enemy! :laughing: :joy:

5 Likes