Pelle Larsson

Timmy Allen listed as 6’6", 204. Pelle Larsson 6’5" , 200.

Dunk competition between Larsson, Gach, Lohner would be interesting.

1 Like

Definitely good bounce, throws it down with ease off one or two feet, shot mechanics look good, showed nice acceleration in one sequence.

Hard to tell from the level of competition, hard to say how he moves laterally, but if he’s a consistent outside threat… welcome to SLC, Mr. Larsson!

1 Like

There is an article about him on the Salt Lake Tribune’s website right now. Basically said he is good at a lot of things, but not so much shooting. A draft scout was interviewed and said that he could be a major steal for us, but also noted that the one thing he needs to work on is outside shooting.

Also said he is best with the ball in his hands and may challenge Jones at the 1. Said he even guarded power forwards in the U18 league he was in. I’m glad we got him… but man, we need consistent outside shooting.

1 Like

As I’m sure you know, this is a super common problem with athletic kids. If you’re dominant athletically, there’s few reasons to “settle” for an outside J when you can overwhelm the opposition and get to the rim.

In European leagues, Larsson is a freak. If he grew up in Nigeria or Senegal or Philadelphia, or LA, etc, he would have had to shoot more. Long, athletic players force the issue. The higher you go up in levels in basketball, the more critical shooting becomes, and it’s probably the biggest factor that separates players.

Larsson’s form looks good, he doesn’t have a quick release, but that can be learned.

We’ll see.

1 Like
1 Like

Just so this is handy if anyone wants a sip.

2 Likes

trust in Larry. He has never let us down before.

2 Likes

I really don’t care if his release is quick or not. I’d be perfectly happy if he could hit uncontested threes at least occasionally. Timmy Allen can’t even draw rim half the time. How it is even possible to airball a wide open three when all you do all day is play basketball is unfathomable to me.

If Timmy isn’t shooting a thousand 3s a day…

He’s decent at FTs, the rest of his game is solid, he’s one of the best at making something out of nothing…but if he doesn’t want to be smothered like the last few games in the PAC…

it’s really up to him.

Who wants to be on the floor? That’s what it boils down to, for the new guys.

1 Like

Timmy’s hand placement is not straight behind the ball, but off to the right side, with the left hand as a secondary guide, making it almost a 2 handed shot. This is very obvious when he shoots free throws. Pushes everything (elbow) to the right, & although he is a decent FT shooter, really impacts shot from 3.

1 Like

Timmy will be so much better as an option than he is as “the” option. If there are players on the floor who demand defensive attention, and Timmy can be guarded by 1 person rather than the whole of the other team, he’ll be able to use his skills. This goes for all players, really, except those truly special once-a-generation guys.

3 Likes

So true. Hopefully Gach comes back. It’s hard to know how just how much upside he has, as he’s been pretty tentative… but when he sees a crease and turns on the jets, he can pull defensive attention inward a foot farther than anyone else, or just get to the rim for an easy 2. If he develops a short pull up game to deal with rim protectors, and gets more consistent from range… I’ll just leave it at that.

If Martinez is in the same ballpark on breaking down defenses, we could really see the offense open up. The number of times we went through offensive droughts because everyone was shooting under serious defensive pressure was painful.

1 Like

[quote=“oldstandingUte, post:2, topic:3525”]

Timmy Allen listed as 6’6", 204. Pelle Larsson 6’5" , 200.

Dunk competition between Larsson, Gach, Lohner would be interesting.

[/quote]Neither of them would stand a chance against Martinez in a dunk contest. Should be fun BB to watch over the next few years!

Yeah, his form is definitely not fine. It’s not the worst freethrow shooting form we’ve had on our team (Jayce Johnson easily takes the cake on that one), but it’s still pretty disgusting to behold. Those sort of shooting quirks get magnified the further out you are.

Lonzo Ball fixed his (even more) hideous form. It can be done. Of all the coaches on our team, you have to think at least a couple of them can be a “shot doctor”.

You would think so, but we’ve had plenty of players with obvious shooting form issues that have never been fixed. I have often wondered if it’s an issue with player unwillingness to change rather than a coaching problem. I just can’t believe that a coach would see the things I’ve seen watching our teams play, and not at least try very hard to correct the obvious shooting form problems. We’ve had several guys with obvious shooting form issues.

Brekkot Chapman: His wasn’t so much a form problem as it was a general technique issue. Whenever he shot the ball you could see that his eyes were focused on the ball, and not the front/back of the rim, which was just really strange to see. He never changed it.

Jayce Johnson: Where do I even start with this guy? The most herky-jerky free throw stroke I’ve ever seen in my life, BEYOND BIZARRE. He had this strange hitch in the middle of his freethrow stroke like his body was buffering for a split second right in the middle of his shot. Super strange. It improved slightly but was still pretty obvious by the time he left.

Dakari Tucker had a strange looking shot but he was a pretty solid shooter so no reason to change anything there.

If I remember correctly Jordan Loveridge increased his range dramatically over the years. Has it really been that long since he was around? Jeeze…

Did I mention that Jayce’s form should be considered a crime? (public indecency comes to mind, maybe some form of misdemeanor assault).

1 Like

My very first thought was Loveridge, although his accuracy was pretty decent, the lack of any arc at all was always tough to watch.

Changing shot forms or throwing motions (in football) is a blend of urging on the part of the coaches, and accepting a change is needing and working on it, from the players.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it - most players who’ve been successful resist somebody telling them they need to change. Some get away with it, like Shawn Marion, of the PHX Suns.

When I first saw Lonzo Ball at the Hunty, I cringed at his form, but he was putting the ball in from NBA range. Then in his rookie year in the NBA his game collapsed. Seeing what he did to his shot at New Orleans was impressive.

I’d like to think Timmy has reached the same point of needing to seriously adjust, though his adjustment isn’t as much of an overhaul as Lonzo Ball faced.

Jayce Johnson - I’ll always appreciate how hard he worked to become decent. The development was impressive, because my first impression was “how the hell can you be 7 feet tall but still play mostly below the rim?” (The FT form was Monty Python. That’s a mystery for the ages.)