PAC 12 Farewell MBB Season Thread

NET rankings change throughout the season, earlier games are updated to current rankings as the season progresses. That’s why you’ll see Quadrant records change.

1 Like

water is wet

2 Likes

You’re probably correct on this point, but your opinion might be skewed by your experiences with water earlier in life.

2 Likes

using NET is an improvement from when they used RPI years ago, but its still greatly flawed

3 Likes

Fair enough. I prefer it over grey matter.

1 Like

Always felt that blowouts over inferior competition should count far less than playing well against strong teams.

5 Likes

NET #24 Utah at #57 Washington State
TODAY 8p MT Pac-12 National/Mountain/Washington

This is a Quadrant 1 game for both teams.

Live Stats

utahutes.com preview

1 Like

They do. We have a Quadrant system.

a quadrant system that rates a home win over the #30 NET ranked team as vastly superior to a home win over the #31 team in the NET.

There has to be a better system.

1 Like

Do you feel as if this system has resulted in poorly constructed fields of 68?
I would argue that this system is sufficient to produce a proper bracket.

Beavers just beat Arizona, 83-80.

3 Likes

This conference is impossible to figure out. Arizona beat a pretty decent Colorado team by almost 50 a couple of weeks ago. But they’ve lost three games on the road, one to a bad OSU team. Utah can blow out UCLA by almost 50 (the same UCLA team that has since played pretty well) but can’t beat anyone on the road (granted, the injuries have been a factor). I just don’t get it.

3 Likes

Called it a night and went to bed with this one at the half. Somewhat surprised but not shocked. Shows the difference between playing at home and away. Utah looks like a completely different team in the Hunty versus on the road as do many other schools. Even with 2 injured starters out last week we swept the Oregon schools. Meanwhile at full strength we fared quite poorly down in the Grand Canyon State.

1 Like

translation: PAC12 basketball cant win on the road in conference indicates its full of bad teams.

When Kansas loses on the road in the Big XII, look at the parity, this conference is loaded.

3 Likes

Not sure where to put this, so here it is. Interesting that the SLTrib is hiring a sports writer to cover the U. Wonder what really happened with Josh N.

3 Likes

The first Bubble Watch of the season was posted today: archive.today’s snapshot of ESPN+ article

Should be in

Utah Utes
Few teams nationally do more to promote a keen awareness of home/road splits than the Utes. Craig Smith’s group has worked its way to the No. 8 line in mock brackets with a perfect 12-0 record at home while attaining an overall mark of 15-7. The big news for Utah fans is that the next home game is the most important one of the season. Arizona is coming to Salt Lake City after trouncing the Utes by 19 last month in Tucson.

Other points of interest to me

• Gonzaga is in the Work to do section
    ‘If Selection Sunday were today, a Gonzaga team that’s 16-6 and 7-2 in the WCC would most likely not hear its name called…this is unusual.’

• Princeton has ‘…a glimmer of at-large hope…’
    Two bids out of the Ivy? Sweet.

• I still have a soft spot for Mountain West MBALL.
    Four teams in the Should be in section.
    I do miss kicking back with a beer, watching The Mtn. this time of year.

• ‘…since Jimmer Fredette and his teammates landed on the No. 3 line 13 years ago.’
    I was surprised to read that this was so long ago. Life flies by when you’re an old man.

1 Like

I remember watching a Utah-BYU MBALL game streaming on The Mtn. some years ago.
Someone in the chat said something like, “You guys aren’t nothing until you beat Gonzaga.” We had beaten them earlier in the season.
Then, dude said something like, “Well, not until you’ve won a national championship.” 1944

1 Like

I hope Bill Walton starts covering Big 12 basketball.

4 Likes

I wonder if he’ll go B1G since UCLA is going to that conference. But will be interesting if he continues somewhere or just hangs it up

Bill might not get to use the phrase conference of champions every 30 seconds any more (unless perhaps BIG10 adopts it along with the LA schools)

1 Like