Pac-12 back on life support

Not sure there are many, if any, “good guys” in CFB or in college institutions. When $$$ is at the epicenter, all bets are off.

Yes, I’m doom and gloom on humanity. Haha

2 Likes

USC & UCLA weakened the conference. Oregon and Washington ended the conference. FOX Sports was the catalyst.

7 Likes

I guess if they consider metro markets really important, they could add SDSU and SJSU for So Cal and Bay area, and CSU for Denver. UNLV might also make sense, along with another Cali school or two.

For a conference to exist, the NCAA requires “at least seven active Division I members,” all of which must sponsor men’s and women’s basketball, and for the conference to sponsor at least 12 Division I sports, among other requirements.

In the case of departures, NCAA bylaws allow a conference a two-year grace period in which it can exist without the minimum number of schools. The Pac-12’s grace period starts in the 2024-25 academic year.

It will be interesting to see how the PAC 2 plays this. They’ve got a pile of cash, which never hurts.

If the B1G expands a more & takes from the B12, do they try to catch a ride in the B12? With an expanded CFP, do they build up a new PAC? After a year or two of silly stupid travel, does Cal and Stanford reconsider?

Nobody envies their position, but in a year or two things may not look quite as bleak.

1 Like

In an imaginary world…

PAC2 teams up with Apple/Youtube (google) to offer a streaming package of between 50-100mil/yr to the “current” PAC12 teams to stay. Keep the conference alive and put a stop to the insane conference realignment.

Pipe dream I know, but wouldn’t it be nice?

2 Likes

Travel-wise, Cal and Stanford are in a horrible situation with all the other teams 3 time zones away. May very well head back to a revamped PAC, especially if the ACC starts getting picked apart by BIG10 and SEC.

3 Likes