P5 Grind for the Zoobs

After reading what a sleaze and reprobate Jerry Falwell jr is, I hope the cougars and every other team that plays them wins 70 to 0.

(You can delete if that is too political)

8 Likes

Utah and Colorado were rivals way before byu and Utah were rivals. But you look at a definition of a rival. Utah and Colorado are byu is a series. We were forced to play them by the state legislature.

3 Likes

Actually the Utah Legislature has no legislative authority to mandate who BYU plays. BYU is a private ecclesiastical institution who can schedule whoever they want - and they did when they were independent. It is why the legislature never mandated that Utah play BYU. They talked about it, but the Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel advised the law would not be legally enforceable.

Now they are in a conference with Utah again, and based on how the conference sets up its internal competition, they may be playing one another again with a high degree of regularity. If Utah can start scheduling USU again, the Beehive Boot will come back into play.

The Rumble in the Rockies has been a big MEH. Mostly because Colorado has flat our sucked. Also because before its revival, a couple of generations had passed where they never played one another. The truth is their game against Nebraska this weekend will be more of a rivalry game than ours at the end of the season.

2 Likes

I have direct, first hand experience in how the key state legislators (but not the legislature as a governing body) forced Utah to play TDS. Iā€™ve cited my experience in previous posts. These key legislative leaders began to poison other University of Utah funding programs (including the Health Sciences Center) in retaliation for canceling the TDS football series. Yes, the state legislature is a protective mama bear over TDS.

6 Likes

Using funding mechanisms to coerce a result is different than writing and passing a legislative mandate. Yes, there is a cabal on the hill who cut some funding to coerce a quid pro quo. Yes, I saw that too and agree the financial squeeze happened (more than once). But that does not carry the force of law. Law is a hard mandate - in this case to play BYU.

That stated, the Legislature cannot pass a law that openly interferes with the contract free agency of a private institution. Such a law would be unconstitutional. This is why it never even got to the floor of either chamber for consideration.

One last thing to considerā€¦as the percentage of total budget funding from the State continues to decline, there has been rumblings about whether the University ought to simply cut the cord and become a private nonprofit itself. My guess is if the Stateā€™s contribution ever falls below 5 percent of the total University budget, it could likely happen.

The current State Contribution is less than 8 percent.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t the powers that be order an audit on the Utah Athletic Dept after Coach K bought out one of the basketball games?

5 Likes

As a public entity and political subdivision of the State, the State can perform a legislative performance audit whenever it chooses. That said, those things are damned expensive - typically only 4 of them are done in a year due to the cost. They have to be approved by the Legislative Audit Committee, which in our current composition per rule is made up of members of Senate and House leadership of both parties. For the record, they did the Audit and all that came back on it was the University was a big nothingburger.

6 Likes

Laws. Ethics. Politics. Still meddling/influence from some slimy folks putting focus/emphasis on things that really donā€™t matter but get votes for the next round of keeping their power.

5 Likes

Little did Greg Hughes realize, the loud clamoring and audit helped blunt his own political aspirations.

12 Likes

The good news is that Greg Hughes is now too busy enriching himself off the prison move & inland port to go after the U for cancelling an athletic event.

6 Likes

Waitā€¦the prison was moved???

3 Likes

You are forgetting that someone didnā€™t turn in a key after they left employ. I canā€™t believe you forgot such an important thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

This wonā€™t be deleted.

7 Likes