P5 Grind for the Zoobs

Well written response.

I give BYU fans less credit than you. You take the reasonable approach that they are doing it to get a rise out of Utah fans. I think a significant majority actually buy into proclaiming themselves PAC12 champsā€¦part of their attempts at self aggrandizement that we seem to see so often.

9 Likes

I think what you are saying is that @EddieR is a BYU fan, and not a Zoob. Iā€™d say the same for @Wingnut, where ever he is.

5 Likes

Anyone honestly and truly thinking that BYU actually won the PAC12 based on the games played this season is delusional. I just donā€™t think thatā€™s a very big percentage of people.

On the other hand - BYU fans who believe saying BYU won the PAC12 to Utah fans is great smack talk and will get under Utah fanā€™s skin - is a much larger percentage. It probably matches up well with the percentage of Utah fans who say Colorado is Utahā€™s rival now to get under BYU fanā€™s skin.

As for continuing to say that BYU won the PAC12 this year on a regular basis going forward? Thatā€™s just tired and overused.

To be fair - and Iā€™ve said this all along - all fanbases have the full continuum of fans. This isnā€™t unique to BYU - the most annoying BYU fans are just unique in how they annoy. But every group has a ā€œspecialā€ subgroup. Thatā€™s just human nature.

4 Likes

I suppose it all revolves around the circle of people you associate with. I donā€™t know many BYU fans, so most of what I see is from links that people post in hereā€¦and an occasional unfortunate visit to cougarboredā€¦so I have a limited sample sizeā€¦which suits me fine. Iā€™m not too concerned with their views on Utah.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s the case, I havenā€™t seen it. All Iā€™ve seen is Utah fans laughing at byu-provo fans.

3 Likes

The smart Utah fans arenā€™t bothered - but I donā€™t think Iā€™d say ā€œnot a soulā€. Anyone making a counter-argument is doing a little more than laughing.

Like Iā€™ve said all along - it was funny for a minute, but the longer it goes the less funny it gets.

Frankly - most BYU fans think itā€™s most funny coming from everyone else. Like this guy talking about bowl matchups:

If life were fair, the Cougars would be in the Rose Bowl because they went 5-0 against the Pac-12 this season, including a 26-17 win over Pac-12 champion Utah.

The responses on twitter from Utah fans to guys like this show that there is more than ā€œnot a soulā€ who are upset or bothered.

Technically P12 South champs. We, however, are the conference champs.

4 Likes

Exactly!!

1 Like

They can declare themselves King of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat, for all I care (bonus points if you get the reference). Iā€™ll take the outcome of our season over theirs 100 times out of 100.

Iā€™m sure the moral victory of crowning themselves P12 Champs will make all their fans feel better about going toā€¦(checks notes)ā€¦Shreveport to play the UAB Trogdors.

11 Likes

I agree completely. I had a good chuckle at a guy who said that Utah fans must be jealous of BYU with the current trajectory including Big12 invite, good season, etc.

I just laughed myself - Rose Bowl is a heck of a consolation prize for all of those jealous Utah fans. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well - Iā€™m a BYU fan on a Utah fan site. Of COURSE Iā€™ve got other issues. :wink:

What has been hard to see is the toll on KW. Love Whittingham or hate him - I swear he looked like he had aged 10 years between the end of last season and when news broke about Loweā€™s murder.

It has got to be one of the most bittersweet seasons ever - with the worst of lows and the highest of highs with the championship win. I can see why some folks are spreading rumors of him potentially retiring - but I think heā€™s going to be around a few more years.

I havenā€™t watched KW much - the most I saw him, and what I was referring to, was when he was speaking after Loweā€™s death. And it was pretty obvious he was feeling it at that point. Shave an a hair cut will make anyone look better. :slight_smile:

Funny, doesnā€™t work with me. Nobody likes to see my face.

2 Likes

This season is why BYU should be very happy about joining the B12. BYU knew where they were going 6 games ago. Whereas Utah had games with meaning through the rest of the season and into the championship game.

So many years of BYU fans talking up the benefits of Independence, but they jumped at the chance to join a major conference, with good reason.

6 Likes

If there were a year where everyone in the FBS shouldā€™ve gotten the message that independence wasnā€™t a great deal, this would be the year.

5 Likes

For the reasons I outlined above regarding the regular season and the fact that the bowl game is essentially the same either way - I would say that independence is better than being in the MWC. But it doesnā€™t compare to P5 inclusion in any way.

1 Like

Indeed being independent was a slight upgrade from the humble Mountain West (has anyone from the MWC crashed the party since Utah and TCU left?) but heading to the Big12 is a massive upgrade for the Cougars (as was Utahā€™s move from the MWC to the Pac12 a decade ago)

1 Like

Boise was in the Fiesta Bowl while in the MWC in 2014.

6 Likes

Charlie Brewer ends up at Liberty U.

BYU plays them next year in Lynchberg.

Brewer gets another crack at the Cougs.

1 Like