Nonsense words from the past

My parents and others in their generation use these nonsense words often, and I find myself using them pretty often too. So my siblings, all of whom are older than I am.

Is anybody else had the same experience? I think they are great words.

1 Like

I use at least half of those.

1 Like

The other day GOBBLEDYGOOK was used. Means baloney, bunk or mumbo-jumbo. All great words.

How about a non-sense word from the 90s, specifically the great Beavis and Butthead:

Fartknocker

4 Likes

Is that where I got it from? I’ve forgotten. I use fartknocker somewhat regularly, sad to admit I know. As for the list, I’ve used more than a few, usually when there are kids or overly sensitive types around.

My parents, grandparents, and in-laws all use (or used) most of the words on that list.

My wife frequently uses, flim-flam, and bogus, probably multiple times daily, but none of the others.

My only use of terms from the list is that I used to use knuckehead to refer to most teenage boys, until my son got me hooked watching “That 70’s Show”, and I adopted Red’s preferred replacement…

1 Like

During football season in the pandemic, seeking to avoid otherwise really dreary news, I stumbling upon some interviews of Mike Judge. He described the formation of B & B - the characters, the voices - based on his growing up in Albuquerque. The characters were composites of kids he went to Jr. HS with… and IIRC he talked about coming up with that word, “fartknocker”.

A lot of people think it was pretty immature television, but I thought it was brilliant social commentary, that also happened to be pretty damn funny!

Mike Judge couldn’t believe MTV accepted his demo of B & B, and then he went to do Idiocracy (prescient!) and Office Space, both great movies, as well as King of the Hill.

Mike Judge - Wikipedia

3 Likes

I didn’t realize that Judge was from Albuquerque. B&B now make a bit more sense. I do agree that B&B was probably more social commentary than anything, especially in retrospect. Looking forward to them on Paramount+. It’ll be nice to see some of his stuff again.

1 Like

I have a friend who grew up and still lives in Texas. When King of the Hill came out he said the exact same thing. Apparently about every street has a Hank, a Boomhauer, etc.

1 Like

Along those lines there is a video showing all the F-words from The Big Lebowski. It’s almost 3 minutes long.

I’m gobsmacked. Downright flummoxed!

When I was 6 years old we lived at my grandparents farm for a couple of month after my dad started a new job and they were looking for a house to rent.

At the time my grandpa was 71 years old and I would “help” him do chores and whatever during the day. For a long time during that period I thought the lid to spray paint was a whatchamacallit, a drill was a thingamjig, and the latch on the milk stanchion was a whatzit based on what grandpa called those items.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that the F-bomb gets used a ton on Amazon produced shows. It’s kind of off putting because it adds nothing to the dialog.

Mike Judge said the Mr. Anderson character & King of the Hill were based on impressions he had growing up of neighbors in Albuquerque who were Texans.

I recently read the History of Texas, not terribly scholarly, but covered the insane history of the Lonestar State.

History explains so much of the present.

B&B from Albuquerque were a lot more amusing & lighthearted than “BB”, also from Albuquerque… which also was industrial quantity levels of social commentary, and brilliant writing, acting, etc.

I used skeewampus just today before I read your post. That was my dad’s version of cattywampus.

I thought I didn’t use a whole lot of those in the original list, but maybe I do (camaraderie, tomfoolery, willy-nilly, decrepid, baloney, knucklehead, kerfuffle). I also get made fun of (by my family) for using stuff like ‘Jimminy Christmas’ or ‘whoopsie-daisy’.

Having grown up in ABQ and lived in TX for 4 1/2 years for grad school, both of these shows are hilariously accurate to me. Kind of like now that I’m in CO, South Park makes more sense.

Also love this show. So many good characters.

ha, I use that one too

I hear it often these days but when movie/TV characters use it every other sentence, it does get old.

How about doohicky?

1 Like

I can never keep my doohickey from becoming skeewampus.

Whenever I see the word nincompoop, I think of this quote from MASH.

Hot Lips: Oh my God! They’ve shot him!
Colonel Blake: Hot Lips, you incredible nincompoop! It’s the end of the quarter.

4 Likes