Nonsense words from the past

It mirrors reality for a lot of people in the US.

Meh, authenticity is overrated in TV. Iā€™m not watching for reality.

I think people use it as cheap way to mimic reality because it hides the sins of poor storylines and dialogue.

1 Like

Well, a lot of things mirror reality. That something is part of reality doesnā€™t make it admirable or worthy of dramatization.

1 Like

Sure, but itā€™s also important to realize that it is normal and non-offensive to a large portion of the target audience. In some ways, it speaks their language.

I get that. For me, when movie/TV characters use it every other sentence, as a verb, noun, adjective and general expletive, it gets old. Thatā€™d be true of any word.

2 Likes

I am usually impressed if someone can use it as an object of the verb or a preposition.

lol - that reminds me of when I worked at the airport with a bunch of Neanderthals who extensively used the ā€œNaval dialectā€ of English.

One guy came into the lunch room on a typical tirade about stress, arrogant pilots and problems fueling jets, and another guy interrupted him and said "One thing we know for certain: it was ā€˜F-ingā€™!"

I miss those guys. Blue collar warriors, zero chance of accomplishing anything academically, they helped me learn a lot and generate motivation to get my arse back into school at the U.

(It was like a 1980s version of working on a ranch. I collected all kinds of amusing / scary stories about the goof balls who work at the airport. I would reassure my sometimes startled audiences ā€œonce the plane is safely away from the gate and taxiing, most of the risk of the flight is goneā€)

1 Like

Sounds a little bit like how this ends with the bike: