New coaches

Lohner is living with the consequences of a bad decision. It’s sometimes called karma, and what much of life is about. It’s not an unforgivable sin. Some say it’s the best way to grow. Yes, the coaches are best equipped to know his upside.

My point is just this. The best outcome would be for Lohner to come to Utah, thrive and grow, and become an all-American and an NBA prospect.

Oh, we all have our quirks. Nothing personal. You do like to explain to people why they’re completely wrong.

Y’all do that, but only I do it Equal Opportunity…I declare y’all are wrong equally. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m more unhappy with BYU and its boosters (who were very likely involved) than with Lohner. Most of us at age 17 are pretty impressionable. If Smith decides Lohner has grown up a bit and wants him, and Lohner wants to come, I could get used to him being a Ute. If I were close to Lohner and he asked for my advice, I’d urge him to consider getting away from the toxicity in Utah surrounding the BYU- U of U relationship. He’s deeply in the middle of it and might be happier outside.

5 Likes

I just answered your question as to what he did. I think Krystkowiak did the right thing in letting him go. Although I do think the NLI is enforceable. I’m not a lawyer, so I’m ok with you correcting me here. I did say correcting me if I am wrong; not giving me a lecture, there is a difference.

That all said, I’m going to agree with @LAUte that Lohner may be better off going out of the state of Utah to be happier. He is a big part of why there is a fair amount of animosity in the air right now. Just my $.02 on what I think Lohner should do.

1 Like

I would be shocked if Lohner came to Utah. I just don’t see hit happening. I could see him going to USU long before I could see him joining the Utes.

The Pope luster is wearing off, not that he had much to begin with. They struggled in the WCC with a fairly experienced team this year. byu hasn’t won the WCC and they’ve been in it for around 10 years. Even if those guys stuck around the B12 is going to curb stomp that program. Holmoe might be hiring Burgess back to be the head coach in a year or two.

4 Likes

I wonder if Pope will see the writing on the wall and find another job.

1 Like

Meh. The rivalry doesn’t matter. There’s so much more going on. They hardly play each other anymore.

This is wacky. Just a few months ago they stomped Oregon and everything looked peachy for that program. Pope appeared to be a hot commodity in the coaching rumor mill. How does it fall apart so quickly?

I think it has quieted down quite a bit. But when Utah played BYU last December at the Huntsman, Lohner was booed when he took the floor. I think such animosity will get even worse if he now forsakes BYU for Utah. Why does he need that in his life?

4 Likes

No idea. I’m inclined to look at the head coach when something like that happens.

Anyone can choose not to live in that world. In this country, we have space for that.

This isnt going to look good on his resume. Going to set back his 5 year plan to get to the SEC.

1 Like

Big rumor that Gavin Baxter will enter the portal today and come to Utah. FWIW

4 Likes

It is all the head coach’s fault when the whole team and coaches defect. The head coach is the leader; his purpose is to retain morale and fighting spirit. The results were on the court. The team gave up on him. And essentially the whole team can’t be wrong.

Pope can coach. But Pope’s fall reminds me of Gary Andersen. Coaching is a tough tough business. It can take its toll on a person.

1 Like

I looked him up. Would he be a grad transfer? Looks like he’s played four seasons there. Of course the Covid season doesn’t count, I guess. He’s played less and less with each passing season, apparently.

I find this delicious if it all happens, because Y fans brutilized LK for the revolving turnstile at the end of each season.

8 Likes

yes, grad transfer

We brutalized LK for the turnstile too. It got really old, really fast.

5 Likes