New coaches

4 Likes

I love this hire!

1 Like

Yes, I love this hire as well.
I wonder if Roger Reid offered any advice as Burgess was considering this choice. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very good hire.

Big time for recruiting. Wonder if the Lohner rumors will resurface?

Why Lohner? Don’t think we need that smoke. Burned bridges already.

4 Likes

I’m a little surprised we were able to pull this off. It will be interesting to learn what factors went into Chris’s decision. I don’t think Chris has any personal ties to the current coaches or administration at the U.
Was it Money? Family (his daughter is an athlete at the U)? The downward trend of BYU in the last half of their season? Loyalty? Combination of all?

1 Like

If you are an assistant with head coaching aspirations you move around. It may be no more than that.

4 Likes

crap he just let down 8 million mormons again.

3 Likes

Well, that’s less than the last time…

6 Likes

His boss at Byu was a dick?

10 Likes

That’s fairly common down there in the basketball program.

Arnold, Reid, Cleveland.

7 Likes

Maybe, just maybe, he saw more opportunity with Craig Smith because he’s better than Pope. You guys remind me of that old Graucho Marx joke.

ps i like this hire .

Congrats to Mr Smith. Burgess is a nice hire: former Ute, decent recruiter (I wish the switch had occurred after he convinced the biggest Ute slam dunk 4-star recruit to go to Provo, but oh well), and decent but not great coaching genes. Also, over the past two weeks, he has slowly picked up the recruiting successes we so desperately need.

This may be true and won’t be known for for a couple of years.

But like the demotivational poster about procrastination paying off right now, CougarBoard in meltdown is a good and blessed thing, regardless of what else is going on in the world.

9 Likes

Posters on Cougarboard should try not to feel too much the victim here. This is what’s going on all over college hoops (and other sports) now. Whole new era.

Meanwhile hope we don’t look at Lohner at all. As noted earlier, not the kind of individual I want our program to have any part of.

7 Likes

I tend to agree. However, maybe Gideon George might be worth a look.

And I would laugh like crazy if Chandler left.

2 Likes

If the coaches decide to re-recruit Lohner, I’m OK with that.

The previous stuff happened under Larry, and our coaches know what they’re doing.

“Thor” is a pretty damn good rebounder, and maybe his shot will come back with any lingering guilt having been erased.

7 Likes