“My favorite thing about BYU….”

Their “tradition” of becoming the new bottom feeders of the BIG 12 will be a tradition like no other. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Nothing like showing your traditions, by copying other traditions.

3 Likes

BYU…college sport’s version of stolen valor. I wonder if they have a tin version of the PAC12 football trophy in their display case. Lord knows every other trophy in there has been collecting decades worth of dust.

5 Likes

BYU has had a tremendous year. Its worth boasting about. Plus, they’re now on the cusp of the B12, a conference left for dead, that was brought back to life by Bowlsby. Athletically, its a better conference than the P12 now – at least in the major sports.

The P12 needs to get it together, and quick.

Seriously? If Utah had the same year with the same end of year result, you would be puffing out your chest and bragging about winning a conference you didn’t play in?

6 Likes

Lol I was trying to figure out if the post was in jest or not.

In fairness, the B12 has been up in hoops - and further it is thanks to non-departing schools - but most would argue that’s a moot point when all the revenue is leaving. We’ll see how things play out on the court, but no matter how you stack it… by definition they won’t be a power conf.

2 Likes

While not BYU-Provo, this Tweet purporting to be concerning textbooks at BYU-Idaho fits here I think. I wish I didn’t find this believable that they’d think college kids aren’t able to separate human physiological facts from erotica, but I do.

Text book censorship at BYU-Idaho: What?!?

1 Like

Who among us hasn’t been turned on by a textbook. My personal kink is “Statistics: Principles and Methods.”

6 Likes

I tend to stay away from those math textbooks that teach CRT…

6 Likes

I know, right? I’m so glad a certain state banned 40%+ of math textbooks because somehow they were putting in a graduate level theory into elementary school brainwashing. :roll_eyes: But I guess that’s off topic but related to absurdity.

6 Likes

The = sign is a bridge too far.

3 Likes

1 + 1 = 2 is too sexual for me. And don’t get me started on (s)exponents.

6 Likes

FWIW, I will step out of character and actually defend BYU-Idaho. Credible people I know say this is the work of a single part-time faculty member, and that the others in that department are upset about the incident and are trying to fix it. I think anyone with college-level education in human anatomy would see how ridiculous this is.

I have no doubt a lot of people up there are embarrassed by it but this goes right in line with byu-Idaho. I wish I could say it shocked me but I wasn’t surprised at all.

3 Likes

Makes sense…the birds and the bees is a graduate level course there…they don’t want to get ahead of themselves.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar enough with BYU administration, Idaho or otherwise, so you may very well be correct. However, in my experience with other higher education institutions, a single part-time faculty member would never get away with something like this on their own, and to the surprise of the rest of the department.

3 Likes

Rexburg is a rather unique place. One of the only college towns that rolls up it’s streets at 9:00pm on a weekend.

Stories of cloistering behaviors are not uncommon. Being in the middle of nowhere makes it easier to conceal.

You remind me that it’s pretty common for one of the BYU campuses to have something like this happen, and then blame it on a rogue faculty member. Hmmmm.

3 Likes

I attended a very Evangelical college for a time. There are similarities in this statement between BYU and these Evangelical institutions. Censorship being a key feature of education will always be weird to me. I’ve never found hiding information as being better than discussions.

4 Likes

There’s a ton of truth of what you say. I doubt the issue is at just religious schools. I bet that hiding is an institutional thing regardless of religion, or politics. Just look at the current political climate. I’m not trying to hijack anything, just using current politics as an example.

1 Like