More media and realignment news

Fwiw, the article highlights SMU brings a market of 3 million, which is not even close to whatever the real number is. I spent 20 years in DFW, 10 by SMU and 10 by TCU, and certainly don’t think that’s the case. SMU is also one of my alma maters.

Rice is a better overall school and has a much bigger endowment – unfortunately nobody cares about these. Ha

For a fanbase that should be thanking their lucky stars that Texas and Oklahoma got poached by the SEC and opened the door for their sorry ■■■■■ to get a slot with the big boys, they sure are preoccupied with what happens to Utah and the PAC.

Seems like the thing that bothers them the most is that Utah fans and the PAC in general are not clutching our pearls and fretting about our future. Knowing the Utes will be just fine really pisses them off. And it makes me smile.

13 Likes

If you look at it carefully, the “Big Schools” left in the BIG 12, including their new additions, are TCU, Houston, and Cincinnati. The rest of their Universities are located in Cow Towns scattered across the prairie.

Provo is a suburb that was created by Brigham Young to send his trouble making true believers that he didn’t want to deal with every day, but needed close enough to keep an eye on them.

There is no reason to kvetch about a contract. It will get done.

6 Likes

They are super nervous that now they are finally in a better spot Utah will once again eclipse them once a new deal is announced. They desperately want the PAC 12 to crumble so they can be somewhat relevant again. To that end that have been pushing all sorts of wild speculation about the demise of the PAC 12 and Utah sports in particular. Others in the Big 12 have been pushing these wild rumors as well in order to make their new weak league relevant.

I’m not worried at all about a deal. The audience numbers and ratings support the likelihood of a very good deal for the PAC 12 and Utah. Plus when I spoke directly with Mark Harlan a few weeks back, while he didn’t give any details, he said that Utah and the PAC 12 will be fine. I believe him.

8 Likes

I think this PAC / Utah’s misfortune narrative is this year’s version of the Cougarboard spring-summer hallucination, replacing the pro-BYU hallucinations of years past.

Notable summer eruptions of yesteryear:

• Summer of 2002, after Gary Crowton’s impressive first year - so wrongly ended by the Hawaiian Death Turf - with the addition of other-worldly talented trainer Jay Omer, who was sure to make make BYU one of the fastest teams in America.
  • 2009 - the “Quest for Perfection” year. “TCU’s had a run, Utah had their undefeated season(s), this is our year!

(I’m inspired by the Humane Society and will stop here.)

This year what should be solid enthusiasm for taking an impressive record into their first year in a P5 has become very timid enthusiasm that they may eventually become respectable in the new league, with deep seated fears that profound and repeated embarrassments await, this year. Y fans have actually become very guarded on their own team’s prospects, having been repeatedly humiliated, not by the CFB bluebloods, but by vaunted programs like Coastal Carolina, UAB and Liberty.

So, this summer their attention has been redirected to the possibility the PAC collapses and Utah ends up on the outside, just like they were. When you add the other social media chatter & historic media voices who are whoring themselves for off-season clicks, this narrative has become an incontrovertible fact, like water boiling at 100C. This is the baseline truth they measure any news against.

There are clinically measurable amounts of delusion in the CB asylum, so if/when the PAC announces a media package that exceeds the Big-12’s numbers, I would not bet against BYU fans actually booing Brett Yormark, if he makes an appearance on the field in Provo.

(They’ve certainly exhibited this type of mass stupidity before, causing spouses of previous coaches to get into fights with fans, they got fanbases in the WCC to rejoice when BYU’s exit was announced, etc.)

I agree with Canzano that the PAC has mishandled the PR since last summer… but the flip side is this mountain of irrationality and foaming-at-the-mouth delusion that has been built up, particularly among our neighbors in MLM Valley.

They can’t help it, but it’s still amusing to observe.

9 Likes

Fake news!

:grin:

2 Likes