Looking like a certain team is falling out of the Top 10

helping a brother out (only two more wins):

1 Like

Lol he said on the broadcast at half time that they’re one score away from making this a one possession game.

3 Likes

I was out of town and missed the Baylor game - not sure I want to watch the recording. Don’t get me wrong - as a BYU fan I’ve enjoyed the wins this season, but none of them have given me any confidence that BYU was going to be able to continue to pull it off.

It feels like way too often they still get manhandled on defense by teams that want to run the ball - and they can’t stop them from doing it.

This is a good BYU team. I never expected them to be 5-0 to start the season, not surprised at all that they are 5-2 at this point. But they aren’t great.

Hopefully they can rebound the next two weeks against a WSU team distracted by wondering if their coach is going to get the jab and stick around or be gone and then welcoming Bronco back to LES.

It has been nice to see Utah come around with their play - good to see Rising get the chance and perform. As has been noted in this thread from some of you re: BYU players and fans - I’ve got nothing against Utah’s players (I actually like a couple of them that have been active volunteering in the community), and a segment of the fans are OK too. :wink:

1 Like

But just a segment. The rest of us are downright loathsome.

8 Likes

I think we should know today, right? Weird all around - wonder if the players will act in defense of him or a new coach or be in disarray. Maybe they will just focus on playing. Who knows though, right?

That will be interesting. Will y’all welcome him back with cheering, boos, or like Lane Kiffin’s return to Tenn (please don’t throw stuff :wink: ). UVA seems to have a pretty good offense but it is an away game. Wonder if UVA’s LDS players will have a chip to prove. If they stop your RB, which seems to be the recipe, could get ugly and Bronco better watch out for golf balls to the head.

With any team, seems a good indicator how they bounce back from a loss or two.

I think we should know today, right? Weird all around - wonder if the players will act in defense of him or a new coach or be in disarray. Maybe they will just focus on playing. Who knows though, right?

This is what I’m wondering too. Last time BYU faced a team with internal strife at the school - they lost to a Missouri team they had no business losing too. So - is this a distraction? Or something that galvanizes their resolve and gets them playing out of their minds?

That will be interesting. Will y’all welcome him back with cheering, boos, or like Lane Kiffin’s return to Tenn (please don’t throw stuff :wink: )…

I think we’ll see everything from polite applause to some minimal cheers, and I think we’ll see some people just ignore the return - I don’t think we’ll see boos. I mean - those most likely to boo are all people who wanted him gone. So why would they boo him leaving?

Bronco, I think, will want to prove something to BYU fans. I don’t think he ever forgave them for booing his first game as HC when he chose to punt late in the 4th quarter and down by a score at midfield instead of going for it (or something like that). So I think he wants to win this one. Honestly - the desire to beat BYU may be one thing that Kyle and Bronco could agree on.

And then there was the time he wanted to win by 9 instead of by 2

2 Likes

Regardless of the final…one team will have to “Coug it” on Saturday. The only question is which one. :wink:

3 Likes

Kudos to you for showing up after a loss. I’ve noticed Mr. Wingnut has been pretty scarce lately.

What do you think is more likely to happen before your game with Virginia…Bronco gets invited to participate in a fireside while in Provo…or Bronco calls Kyle for a scouting report on BYU?

If I was Kyle, I would start a rumor about the second option just to watch heads explode around the point of the mountain and up on Capitol Hill.

5 Likes

A little from column A, a little from column A.

4 Likes

Thought that was Crowton, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

As I said, a little from column A and a little from column A

3 Likes

What do you think is more likely to happen before your game with Virginia…Bronco gets invited to participate in a fireside while in Provo…or Bronco calls Kyle for a scouting report on BYU?

Bronco isn’t calling Kyle to piss on him if he’s on fire. Of course, Kyle would probably decline to piss on him, so I can’t say that I blame Bronco for not calling. Frankly - Kyle would probably rather burn than call Bronco for help himself.

I don’t think anyone is calling Bronco to do a fireside - but it is definitely more likely than Bronco calling Kyle for a scouting report. (I hope someone in Orem does call Bronco and invites him to do a fireside. Let him spend a little time preparing for a talk instead of the game.)

If I was Kyle, I would start a rumor about the second option just to watch heads explode around the point of the mountain and up on Capitol Hill.

Yeah - that would get some heads exploding for sure. Gotta admit - I’d get a chuckle out of the cougarboard reaction.

I could be wrong - but I just don’t think the people who are most prone to boo are also the people who are mad Bronco left. I think they are happy he’s gone. They still might boo - it’s not that I’d be shocked by anything some subset of 64K people does. I just don’t think they will. I guess we’ll know in another week and a half.

Let’s not forget they’ve been the subject of a general conference talk regarding their behavior.

I could be wrong - but the GC talk I remember about fans being fans wasn’t about BYU fans - it was about all fans. (Yeah - that does include BYU fans, but it includes Utah fans too. :wink: )

1 Like

I can speculate - but it’s just my speculation. And I think it comes from a number of different places - it isn’t just one thing.

First of all - he’s the HC of the hated rival. There is a segment of BYU fans who would have an unhealthy obsession with Utah’s HC regardless of who that was.

I think when KW started coaching at Utah, most BYU fans didn’t have an issue with that. Utah gave him a chance as a coach. If BYU wanted him coaching there, they could’ve done that.

But over time - various things have happened which have built up some of the negative emotional response among some BYU fans (recognizing that it’s a large group of people with a variety of personalities - this doesn’t apply to all.)

Please note - I can try to explain, but that isn’t necessarily saying this is all based on logic and that people are right to feel the way they feel. I’m just trying to share understanding of perspective and point of view.

I think that when Urban came along and implemented all of the Michigan/OSU rivalry stuff (Team Down South, urinal cakes, etc.) some fans wanted KW to show some respect to the team where he and his brothers had played, where his dad coached, etc. So when he started using the TDS term, that sat wrong with them. These are people who had cheered for him, and how he was showing disrespect to them and their team.

I think that when KW was offered the HC job at BYU after Crowton was fired, and decided to stay at Utah - a lot of BYU fans saw that as rejection. No one likes being rejected. They saw that as him finally showing he was no longer connected in any way to BYU.

KW’s personal rivalry with Bronco led to him saying some things about BYU that were seen as being disrespectful. And that contributed to some people’s increasing dislike for him. Just one example - leading up to a rivalry game during a radio interview KW was talking about the game and said something along the lines of “We play the same defense you see on Sunday. They have a gimmick defense” (super paraphrasing here) and that set people off as a dis.

Honestly - KW is a great coach. And I think a LOT of great coaches have a sense of having to prove something - almost like they lack some self-esteem and in their effort to be great they feel easily slighted and respond with a lack of emotional maturity at times. In some ways it is a personality flaw - but it’s also one that drives them to be better and ultimately helps them be successful.

Bronco had some of this in himself - he was booed in his first game as a HC and never forgot it, nor did he forgive BYU fans for it. I always thought it was dumb to hold ALL BYU fans accountable for something that a small % of fans in the stadium did.

In this sense, KW is no different. One of his best examples is the famous Wyoming onside kick because “apparently he knew something I didn’t”, speaking of coach Glenn. Dumb, unnecessary, but representative of his need to prove himself.

I’m not saying all coaches have be this way - but compare Sitake to KW when it comes to talking about other teams. Sitake has been very respectful and at times effusive in his praise of Utah since coming to BYU - he talks of the coaches there as his friends. It’s been extremely rare hear anything positive about BYU or BYU’s coaches out of KW. He’s had a couple of moments recently - but that’s a new development. (Some BYU fans attribute this to KW having to “play to” Utah fans and boosters, others say it’s because he’s a traitor and doesn’t appreciate what BYU and LaVell Edwards did for him and his career.)

Anyway - those are the primary things that come to mind. Honestly, it shouldn’t be surprising. I know plenty of Utah fans who have an unhealthy hate for Bronco - including a lot of LDS Ute fans who were upset that he would ever mention anything that didn’t relate directly to football. I have my opinion on that, of course - but this post is long enough. :wink:

Sorry I missed this before. I guess I forgot about that talk. I was talking about the Uchtdorf one where he addressed all fans needing to generally be more kind to each other. I don’t deny that some BYU fans are a piece of work. I have a co-worker - Utah fan - who’s parents were so mistreated in the Marriott Center they vowed to never return. I’ve called out BYU fans on CB plenty of times for pointing fingers while seeming to ignore bad BYU fan behavior.

I’m describing the why - not their response to having an unhealthy distain for the man and what that leads to. Feeling like he’s a traitor and has turned his back on people that used to cheer for him is beyond just “rival coach” stuff.

For the record - I don’t have a problem with KW staying at Utah - and agree that at the time it was a better job (rather than doing a rebuild) and overall is probably easier (not dealing with the honor code, church connection, etc.). He had been working there - it makes sense to take a promotion and stay where he knew the landscape and had already put in the work.

I certainly don’t hate him. I think he can be a dick sometimes, but then again, so can I. Particularly when emotions get involved, like they do with the rivalry sometimes.

My son actually served KW once years ago when he was working at Chick-fil-A. They had a fun exchange when one of the other workers told KW that my son played football and KW asked him how fast he was and told him to come try walking on post HS and mission. I’ve heard multiple times that KW is a good dude - I know people are much too complex to view them as all good or all bad and I have no reason not to believe this of KW too.

1 Like