Linda Ronstadt Documentary

Been a fan of hers forever. This documentary has excellent footage of her amazing talent, vocal range and remarkable music background. It’s also a feel good example of how to maintain integrity, artistic freedom and meaningful relationship’s in such a competitive milleau. It’s on CNN now.

How many of her covers are better than the original? Tumbling Dice? Blue Bayou? Tracks of My Tears? 5 or 6 Buddy Holly songs? JMHO

1 Like

Don’t forget Poor Poor Pitiful Me by Warren zevon. She really ads cachet to “sorta like a Waring blender…”

2 Likes

I’ve seen it. It’s excellent.

Did (former Ute QB) Mark Stevens ever get back that Ute jersey he loaned to her to wear during a performance at the Hunty?

1 Like

Excellent point

Actually it was Jim Teahan’s #20 jersey. We lived in the same dorm floor at Austin. I don’t know that he ever did.

2 Likes

My wife and I saw it in the theater when it came out in October. Really good film. It’s heartbreaking to see how painful it is for her and her friends like EmmyLou Harris to know that voice can’t be heard again. But boy, what amazing recordings there are to keep it alive. She was amazing.

2 Likes

I went to an EmmyLou Harris concert in Avila Beach about 15 years ago (free tickets), a few minutes into it for some reason she thought that we all wanted to hear her pop culture opinion on pop culture politics de jour. Yes, she sucked.

2 Likes

I was in Austin as well. Knew Teahan very well. We had to have met. I lived next to Charlie Monfort and was two doors down from Chambers.

2 Likes

As a side note one of the officers I served with went to HS with her and had a few interesting stories.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s against board rules to leave us hanging like that.

1 Like

I think we did, too. I lived there starting Jan 1980 until I graduated in Dec 1980. Lived on the first floor of the men’s wing for two quarters then the last quarter in the “grad” or quiet wing first floor. I thought Jim Teahan was a great guy. His younger brother was kind of a twit, though. Dean Miraldi, Wayne Jones, and I think Gene Knickram were all on the floor as well.

I was Austin 77-78, 78-79. Van Cott 79-80 off campus after that.

1 Like

I had a few buddies in Van Cott in those days. Six of them from Brigham City shared one of the big rooms.

I graduated 1980. I wonder if I ran into any of you guys? I did not live in the dorms.

Same here. Graduated in 80, but didn’t live in the dorms. I could be seen hanging around the College of Business or the Huddle.

Graduated in 82. Did not live in the dorms, but one of my good friends from the day was a guy named Richard Smith (“Smitty”) who was a dorm advisor for a few years. He rounded up some of the football guys and we had a pretty good intramural basketball team. He volunteered as a stat runner for the Jazz when they came to town and is now the Jazz head of European scouting.

Smitty hired me as a desk attendant at Austin. Minimum wage to sort mail and talk to my friends. He’s a great guy.

1 Like

I only had three classes not in Merrill Engineering in my 2 1/2 years at Utah. As such I saw few normal men and even fewer women. :wink:

1 Like