Linda Ronstadt Documentary

I made a point of studying a lot of my science classes with engineering students. It seemed more of a communal approach to problem-solving and generally less egos than the pre-med scene. Everyone rows together!
I remain friends with pals from both. Great memories.

A Huddle story:

Arnie Ferrin told me, when I was a student at the U, that Frank Arnold took Scott Runia, a highly-recruited Utah high school basketball player, to the Huddle to show him how awful and repulsive life at the U. would be. Runia went to BYU, of course, and I don’t recall him being all that and a bag of chips while he played there. Anyway, I don’t think you can be blamed for this recruiting loss, because I think the Runia recruiting took place before you were at the U and cleaned up.

When I was in high school, we thought the Huddle was cool because it was what college was going to be like. We loved going there. Looking back, the U. students there probably thought we were adorable — skinny high school kids trying to hang out with the big University guys.

1 Like

Only slightly related, but I used to live in Incline Terrace on 4th south and went to the Bagelry pretty frequently. Once, I saw Rick Majerus sitting at a table there, feverishly drawing on an actual napkin.

Fittingly, I have a Rick Majerys signature on a scrap of notebook paper.

Austin 74/75, Van Cott 75/76 (including summer of 76, which was the only dorm open, a small intimate group of guys and girls, a fun time), Austin 76/77.

I haven’t seen anything about Linda Ronstadt for about 17 posts. What is happening here?

https://images.app.goo.gl/12xKLhamBtwiX9mEA

2 Likes

There ya go

This will generate some Ronstadt discussion. What I appreciate about her now that I didn’t understand is that she covered great songs that her current audience probably hadn’t even heard and made them huge hits — Buddy Holly’s work, for example. Buddy died when I was barely walking, so I’d never heard of him as a teenager. I wish he had lived longer.

2 Likes

And here’s a top 10 list with some different songs. That there are some many great songs on such lists shows how big and excellent her body of work was.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/linda-ronstadt-songs/

I think her visual performance on the documentary and her command of voice on "Long Long Time is just exquisite. The level of pathos she conveys…

2 Likes

Now this is more like the “Linda Ronstadt Documentary” thread we have all learned to know and love.

1 Like

My dad had a Majerus signature on a Bill And Nada’s napkin - no kidding (although you’ll have to take my word for it cause Bill would NEVER have spent the money for monogrammed napkins). My little brother who lives in Phoenix, and is also a Utah alum, has it now. If he keeps rooting for ASU, I’m going to demand that it go to a better steward.

1 Like

Here’s an exuisite version by another sometimes under appreciated contemporary artist:

She hit the hay with Governor Moonbeam, enough said.

I met Melanie at a family function in the 70’s. She was very nice. Charming and funny.

Did she have a brand new pair of roller skates? :wink:

1 Like

Did you have a brand new key?

1 Like

I got your key right here.

1 Like

Here’s my favorite Melanie piece. Very moving when the chorus picks up on her ebulience and energy. They really take it home

2 Likes