Let's go Minnesota!

Hate Penn State worse than BYU, so the Gophers pulling out a win against one of the teams in the way of a possible Utah playoff berth would be doubly sweet.

It would be a major upset if Penn St were to get dumped today.

GO GOPHERS!!!

2 Likes

I would be delighted as well

2 Likes

Golden Gophers! You betcha!

1 Like

Hell of a one-arm catch while being mauled by the cornerback, then manages to stay inbounds and score the TD, giving Minnesota a 21-10 lead seven minutes from halftime.

Penn State would stay ahead of us and Minnesota would jump us, right? Not sure what the best scenario for us is.

1 Like

If Minn can put a beating on them I think PSU drops significantly. There’s no way Minnesota remains undefeated and wins their conference championship game, so even if they jump us it would be temporary.

2 Likes

Highly improbable they jump 10 spots

3 Likes

They’ll jump, but not that far. Probably slot in right behind the Utes. I see Georgia, Oregon and Utah moving up one, Minnesota, Florida, then Pen.

Penn St would drop to around 10 and Minnesota could jump up to 9-10. They still have close wins that don’t help their cause. Double OT win at Fresno and a last second TD over Georgia Southern.

My fear is Penn St beats Ohio St in a couple weeks and Wisconsin beats Minnesota. All those losses look better than USC over Utah.

IMO based on MN’s 2 OT win over middling MWC Fresno ST you have to downgrade the entire B1G more so than I had already been. Now Penn ST is lower than MN. tOSU should easily handle Penn St, leaving just Michigan in their schedule, then the B1G Championship against a likely MN. I don’t see tOSU losing, but that’s not because they’re so good, but more due to their weak competition. Let me repeat, Freaking Fresno ST is the key comp here.

Gophers win!!!

3 Likes

I loathe Penn State as someone with an East Coast bias. And because of what happened under Paterno. So Minnesota beating them in the Red Zone made me happy.

2 Likes

I always liked Penn State, until the scandal anyway. I was pretty surprised at their resurgence after the death penalty, especially how quick it was. These days I really like their head coach and have separated the scandal from the school and football program. I don’t get all of the PSU hate here, especially because it really looks like they cleaned house and run a clean program.

1 Like

I don’t think I understand you. The Big10 almost surely gets a team in the playoff, and there was never any chance of them getting two teams in. There’s very little chance that anything in the Big10 affects Utah’s chances.

We can root for total Big10 chaos, which is what it will take for that conference to be left out.

I guess I just see several 1 loss teams jumping Utah. Yeah they might only get 1 team in the playoff but 4 others might slide Utah down the polls

That’s what keeps me up at night

Sure, plenty of 1-loss teams could probably have better resumes than Utah. But the SEC is the only conference that can get two teams in, and even that seems unlikely. I think Oklahoma is the biggest threat to Utah right now. If they win out, their resume might trump Utah and their brand would certainly trump ours.

SEC - Guaranteed 1 team, could get 2
ACC - Clemson is a lock. They’d have to really screw up to lose to any of the teams on their schedule.
Big10 - I’d say this conference is a near lock. There are some chaos scenarios that could mess it up, but the odds are almost 0.

That’s 3 teams for sure. The last spot comes down to Big12 (OU/Baylor) vs Pac-12 (Oregon, Utah) with an outside shot for the SEC.

1 Like

Good article in USA Today on why Alabama should be left out of the playoffs.

" If we lived in a logical world, Saturday’s 46-41 loss to LSU would be case closed. Alabama, which does not own a win against a top-25 team much less a good team, won’t win the SEC or even the SEC West and lost at home in the game it needed to win, should not be in the College Football Playoff. Barring some sort of nationwide catastrophe, there are going to be enough good options for the selection committee among a group of teams who have played better opponents and won conference titles that Alabama should be outside the very fringe of that discussion."

1 Like

They didn’t get the death penalty, and that’s part of the problem. A large part of the punishment they did receive was rescinded when the NCAA cowered to the state. They were back in national championship conversations a few short years later. Meanwhile, USC had never fully recovered from the stiffer sanctions they received due to Reggie Bush being too dumb to pay back the gangster that let him live in a house rent free TWO hours from campus. Screw the NCAA, and screw PSU.