Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas)
Bonagura: Maryland vs. Utah

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl
Sun Bowl Stadium (El Paso, Texas)
Schlabach: Duke vs. Utah

archive.today webpage capture of ESPN+ article

1 Like

What is the reason for the boycott?

El Paso… at least for me. Born there, and last time I was there just wasn’t a great experience. But if we stayed, say closer to Las Cruces and then travelled into El Paso for the game, that’d be our way of having fun.

Can’t speak for anyone else.

But the bowl projections look fair considering the season.

1 Like

Greg Abbott, Ted Cruz, Chip Roy, etc., etc., etc.

14 Likes

Whenever I think of the Sun Bowl I think of the conversation I had with a work buddy who grew up there. On our first trip there I called him up and asked if there was a good reason I should be in El Paso over New Years. There was a long pause before he replied, “What the Hell would you want to do that for? We’re not going down there and I’ve still got family there.” I still chuckle about that.

5 Likes

You were born out in the West Texas town of El Paso?

5 Likes

Did those bad men hurt you?

1 Like

For years the only reason we went to El Paso was to visit my grandparents. They stayed there because of extended family in the general area, and my grandfather was discharged from the Army at Ft Bliss. He needed the hospital there for his medical care due to his wound that never healed from WWII. Eventually they moved up to Salt Lake, and used the VA, but had access to the great care at the U too.

1 Like

They are hurting the country, so the answer is yes. And don’t be a dick.

13 Likes

My apologies. I thought the boycott would be about something interesting, town where I grew up and politics, although valid, were not what I was expecting. And, my guess is neither of you are participating in an actual boycott.

As I always say, “If you’ve got a blacklist, I want to be on it.”

1 Like

Yes, yes I was born Out in the West Texas town of El Paso. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

musical trivia for 100, please.

quick… what’s the time signature for the tune we’re all singing in our heads?

and what dance is associate with that time signature?

6/8.

Which reminds me, the other day it occurred to me that I can only think of one hit song that was in 5/4. Any guesses on what it is? Hint: Eccentric British band.

1 Like

Animals? Muse? that’s the only one I can think of…

EDIT - wondering aloud if Zepplin did one…

Would 3/4 be a waltz time?
The Dead are famous for odd tome signatures. 7/8, 11/8, 5/8 etc.

3 Likes

I could only think of Jethro Tull’s “Living in the Past.”

2 Likes

No. Waltzes are in 3/4.

The Dead often would superimpose 6/8 drum beats, or basically a steady diet of triplets, over 4/4 rock beats. They’d also do what you said. I once told a buddy of mine that Dead songs were often very complex and he was surprised. It takes some seriously good musicianship to innovate on the fly and stay together like they did.

For really creative, count to The Beatles, “All You Need is Love.” It switches all over the place within single lines.

3 Likes

I was remembering it as 3/4 in my head. but I’ll have to go back and listen to it to see if it’s actually 6/8.

And, yes, if it is 3/4, It’s Waltz time.

2 Likes

Thats what I meant to say ( editted above)
123, 123,123

Also the ability to play slow ballads and keep tempo without speeding up