Latest ESPN Bowl Projections

Remember when we said they would be playing a lot of directionally named schools when they went Indy?

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

You simply canโ€™t make this โ– โ– โ– โ–  up!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

FWIW, when they signed their ESPN agreement, they committed to play in this bowl (if eligible and no N.Y. 6 bowl got them) in 2021, 2023, and 2025.

They made their beds. They signed on the bottom line, and now itโ€™s time to pay ESPN.

My guess is the contract voids with their transition to the Big12. That said, watching them get relegated to the armpit of Tex-Ark-La is totally karma biting them squarely on their arses.

8 Likes

Which is turning out to be even worse than expected, somehow.

4 Likes

I hadnโ€™t really thought about it, but the B12 is going to be a nightmare for Utah-based Cougs. Itโ€™s like every away game is in Laramie but 5 times as far.

7 Likes

Yep, this exactly. Which is why when itโ€™s all said and done, they likely would be better off going to the MWC. Instead theyโ€™re going to what will be another non-Power conference, only further away.

MWC?
The neo-big12 is not that bad.

It is unlikely to be a Power conf unfortunately, and the net $ not any greater given all the circumstances.

BYU left the MWC for Independence, and they have all been saying ever since that they were exactly where they wanted to be.

While Itโ€™s true, that they are now foregoing independence to join a recently diminished conference, it has to be seen as a. It of poetic justice that they are going to the Independence Bowl, right?

8 Likes

I always laugh. That โ€œindependentโ€ thing was such a knee jerk reaction to Utah getting the invite to the PAC. They were playing the card that if Utah was โ€œtoo goodโ€ for the MWC, then they certainly were โ€œtoo goodโ€ for the MWC. Spoiler alert: they werenโ€™t.

6 Likes

Who is this team of which you mention? :grinning:

1 Like

And going from the last greatest position on the face of the globe to the greatest conference in college football, much, much better than the Pac-12.

Donโ€™t believe me. Ask them.

4 Likes

I think it was some week 2 opponent.

You hate to see it. Shakes head

2 Likes

I put this here because itโ€™s a projection of what will not happen (at least this year). Projected 12 team format. What I didnโ€™t realize is one proposal has the top 4 conference champs that get byes. So it would be 1 Alabama, 2 Michigan, 3 Cinci, and 4 Baylor. Thay drops UGA to 5. Utah and Pitt are conf champs but 11 and 12.

What would suck is that there is a Big10 quadrant. Ohio St. v Michigan St. then plays Michigan. Why have the season and CCG? Shows that maybe they need some ability to change seeds/rankings (which they probably would do) to avoid so many conference rematches (like bball tries to spread conference teams around).

CBS Sports: College Football Playoff expansion: How a 12-team bracket would have looked for the 2021 postseason.

Redacted

Exactly. I think there are some unintentional consequences. Maybe thatโ€™s why they havenโ€™t reached a consensus on how this will work.

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl
Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas)
Schlabach: Wisconsin vs. Utah

Valero Alamo Bowl
Alamodome (San Antonio)
Bonagura: Kansas State vs. Utah

snapshot of ESPN+ article

Either of those would be nice.

3 Likes

Valero Alamo Bowl
Alamodome (San Antonio)
Bonagura: Oklahoma State vs. Utah
Schlabach: Oklahoma State vs. Utah

snapshot of ESPN+ article

1 Like

Iโ€™ve been trying to boycott anything Texas, but that could be a fun trip plus I have a 2 for 1 coupon on Delta that expires the end of the year. It gets tempting.

9 Likes