Larry gone

Hearing reports Larry K was fired.

Roger Powell Jr. Back to SLC?

There are some indications that it was a resignation on Larry’s part rather than a firing.

Either way, it will be very interesting to see who Harlen is able to land, and how quickly. That will go a long way toward explaining whether Coach K left unexpectedly, of his own volition, or was nudged out.

I wonder how many players will bail with Larry gone.

What many wanted. Now it remains to be seen who will come in and pick up the pieces. Likely looking at a great many players transferring out. Would really like to see Ian and Jantunen stay.

Statement from Utah Director of Athletics Mark Harlan - University of Utah Athletics (utahutes.com)

We could very well be in the same boat as we were when Larry came in. Most of the current players leaving and a patchwork lineup that will get killed for at least a couple of years.

I hope they drop the prices of season tickets if they want people in the seats.

2 Likes

Whether he resigned or was fired is a matter of semantics I suppose. But whoever we have coaching and playing I’ll be there in the Hunty to cheer them on. Likely looking at some rough years the next few seasons, but I sat through the last years of Boylen and the first couple of PAC12 seasons, so not like we haven’t been through struggles before.

I’m not saying the program was headed for the stars but I fear we may head backwards. There was a good core returning.

I hope in three or four years we’re not all wondering why the hell we let Larry go.

3 Likes

Harlan asked him to leave. Sounds like a firing, not a resignation.

Harlan’s says the buyout if being funded from athletic dollars (not school or state funds). I suppose that could mean donor specific funds.

2 Likes

While I really liked K3 – he is a very good man – this move may prove the best for Utah basketball. I understand and respect that not everyone agrees. The view I developed last year actually was that what we see is as good as it was going to get. After nine years and now a decade, it was clear at least to me that K3 had reached his ceiling. But I do feel some pain in his departure and wish him all the luck in the world.

Obviously, Harlan has a tough task in front of him.

4 Likes

It’s too bad Hill/Harlan didn’t give Larry a chance to get his own guys in the program.

6 Likes

haha… I don’t know, maybe give him another decade or two

1 Like

Ok, I’m not surprised that LK is gone. I just didn’t expect this academic year. I expected next year. But who am I to say it was good timing or not?

I hope that whoever comes in can do to the men’s BBall program what McBride did to the football, and bring it back to respectability. I’ll worry about more, once that respectability happens.

It would be tough for Larry to recruit with just two years left on his contract, and question marks about his future. I think Harlan had to either extend and show a vote of confidence, or cut ties.

1 Like

I understand. I just figured between budgets and LK’s buyout, not to mention optics of timing with covid, Harlan would’ve waited.

Regardless, I hope Harlan can find a good replacement.

1 Like

You’re off by a coach. Larry WAS our McBride. Let us not forget what we were before he got here. Like Mac ('94 top 10, beating BYU, etc.), Larry had his successes. He got us to a Sweet 16, put three guys into the NBA, got us beating BYU again with some regularity. VERY little of that was happening the decade before he got here.

And while it wasn’t what we wanted to see, he did steer us into the PAC-12 era and did alright. His biggest sins were this NCAA tourney drought and struggles with getting and keeping talent at a competitive P5 level.

Some have already said it, but we need our basketball Urban.

5 Likes

Was happy to see Giac and Boylen go. Can’t say the same about Krystko. I really like him, but recognize the need for a change.

14 Likes