Justin Holliday on Twitter saying that Utah has fired Guy Holliday

First part of the PAC era our WRs struggled. Warriors - Ken Scott hobbling around - but we didn’t have the talent at QB or WR to be excellent. To get to that level in the PAC is truly difficult - look at OU’s FR QB transferring out because he didn’t get it done.

I think Holliday brought energy & got buy in… but when the throw game struggled, we’d go back to the physical run game… which made recruiting WRs difficult.

Thompson & Solomon were serious “gets”, we’ve steadily improved, but haven’t broken through. Even with our back-to-back South titles, when CU is getting more talent (Shennault, Rice), there’s a deficiency.

Everyone knows how we need to break through - doing it is tougher than it looks.

In golf, it is easier to go from a double bogey golfer to a scratch golfer than it is to go from scratch to consistently under par. The difference between bad a good is easier to make up than the difference between good and great.

Our WRs and throw game are good. They are not great. And it is hard to get there.

The joys of incremental improvement. It gets more and more expensive, or in this case more and more difficult to recruit good to great receivers.

I personally believe the entire throw game needs to be improved from the ground up.

Pass Blocking has been weak, consistently.

QB Play has been hard to really understand. TH was a warrior and had some flashes but he was always running for his life. 2020? Difficult to extrapolate a lot out of that but not great QB play.

WR: again, flashes of improvement but then they disappear for a few quarters or games. Now we lose a few solid performers.

We need improvements at all levels. Hopefully QB play is better this year, the real question is will the O-line play improve? We consistently seem to get less out of our throw game than other programs. Just my take at least.

So…is Guy gone or isn’t he?

The power ranking of Utah QBs in the Pac-12 era:

1. Huntley
  2. Wilson
    3-6. put the transfers in whatever order you like

Huntley is #1 by a mile over the rest. The 3-4 year starter plan is probably our best plan going forward.

Where did Thompson transfer to? A school with QB who is a rising junior with two years of starting experience.

1 Like

No flipping idea.

However, according to a guy on another site that is usually pretty accurate, he is definitely gone. But there is no other candidate presently waiting in the wings (which I find doubtful since the timing is so dang odd).

Came to post this.

I’d put chances of him being gone at nearly 100%, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen that guy be wrong before.

He was recently wrong about Kaho coming. But that’s about it.

So I wonder why all the intrigue?

They might have been more gentle about the “firing” so instead of putting Holliday on his ass they said. Hey, why don’t you stay with us as a consultant or something? That or they are finalizing the terms of the termination agreement.

They’re back.

Here is something from Guy:

Why does he need an explanation or get it for his dad? Things change, decisions are made, coaching life is full of moves for most.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be embarrassed to have my son reacting like this for me. I was assuming it was Guy who had those Tweets deleted.

1 Like

Exactly. My response to his demand for an explanation would be, “Who TF are you?”

Looks like he deleted them again

Since joining the pac-12 no position group has underwhelmed as much as the WRs. Then I guess it’s a toss-up between QB and OL. Here’s hoping the new guy can get it done.