Just really great movies

Best Years of Our Lives.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure anyone has mentioned this one yet. When I first saw it I was in tears of laughter even before the opening titles were finished.

Besides, this little clip seems to fit right into the times we are living in and some discussions taking place in other parts of this board.

1 Like
3 Likes

RIP Wilford.

5 Likes

Indeed!

1 Like

This is a great bit with Wilford.

2 Likes

Taika Waititi makes some great movies. This is one we watch over and over:

1 Like

I have always thought that Wilford Brimley should have gotten more serious consideration for best supporting actor. The official explanation was that he was only in the movie for about 10 minutes.

1 Like

Yes! JoJo Rabbit is another one of his that is great.

1 Like

Another favorite Wilford Brimley moment :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Agreed. He manages to make his character terrifying despite the goofy haircut. Few actors can pull it off like Bardem. Daniel Day Lewis is definitely another one.

I would double over in hysterics if this guy accosted me, but it wouldnā€™t be so funny when heā€™s standing over me etching a notch in the bloodied club he took off one of his other victims. Man, is that guy an amazing actor.

1 Like

Very much enjoyed Daniel Day Lewis playing Bill the Butcher. A magnificent performance.

2 Likes

I think that movie is super underrated. It was nominated for a ton of awards, but Daniel Day Lewis was the only winner of any. Itā€™s one of those flicks that gets more impressive the more times you watch it. Definitely one of Scorseseā€™s finer films imho.

Edit: Just googled it, and he actually didnā€™t win an Oscar (I thought he won Best Actor). Adrien Brody won for the Pianist, which is another reason these awards shows are a joke. Trying to cut down on the virtue signaling, but the way Hollywood has always coddled Roman Polanski, and continues to do so, is disgusting. That film shouldnā€™t have even been distributed in the US, yet itā€™s celebrated. We need more celebrities in the Ricky Gervais mold.

1 Like

Loved that movie. Also loved Paul Danoā€™s performance as well. I believe Johnny Greenwood did the score or at the very least was heavily involved in its creation.

We have a customer where we have to connect to their server from time to time and their login is milkshake (followed by a password of course). And every time I connect to them I think of that particular scene.

Daniel Day-Lewis won best Actor Oscar for There Will Be Blood (another great performance of a villain), Lincoln, and My Left Foot, but just nominated for Gangs of New York.

He is one of the best performers of the recent era.

2 Likes

I have a friend who likes to bash him for only taking roles every few years. I guess he thinks heā€™s overrated and entitled. Personally, I think Lewis is the greatest actor of our time.

1 Like

My problem is that when I watch a movie or a serious television series, I need someone to root for. In No Country for Old Men, the people I rooted for all got killed, rather cruelly. Thatā€™s also why I could never really get into Mad Men or The Sopranos. I appreciated the artistry, but didnā€™t want to spend my time watching depressing people do rotten things to each other. Iā€™m the same way with books. Thatā€™s why I hated Jude the Obscure. This is not a judgment on anyone elseā€˜s taste in movies. Iā€™m just that way.

So many people love The Prestige, but itā€™s just an okay movie, partially for this reason. Everyone is awful. You can only root for David Bowie.

Yup.

The Sandlot is a classic