Jonah Elliss declares for the draft

Not a surprise here. He had an All American season and it is likely his draft stock is very high.

Best wishes to the kid. :+1:

5 Likes

It’s somewhat of a surprise, Luther said just a couple weeks ago his injury wouldn’t impact his ability to be back for next season. He certainly implied he was returning

2 Likes

‘With that being said’. I hate it (all of the announcements). Just say everything after the comma. But good luck to him. Should be drafted pretty high.

3 Likes

Given the role model/precedent set by his father, I cannot respect this… The boy has clearly been infected with the same egotism running rampant throughout College Football. These kids seem to have forgotten that going to college was NOT just supposed to be about them getting a springboard into a Pro career.

If I see another one of these ■■■■■■■■ invocations about God I will throw up all over my keyboard. If we wanna go there, I fully believe the Almighty would expect them to honor the 4 year concept that is at the foundation of an athletic scholarship. Andre Miller and Keith Van Horn could both have bailed and gone pro [I actually knew them both personally, even sharing a summer Sociology class with both] but they stuck it out; so have several other well known Utes stars. GET YOUR DAMN EDUCATION, so a dreaded injury doesnt ruin a career and leave you with nothing.

It seems as though all these kids seem to have forgotten that the success that has inflated their heads was obtained as part of a TEAM. Not one of them did it alone, and by so many of them bailing on that “family” that is supposed to a core concept of this program, they’ve all shown they dont actually care about the family and team culture. It’s all about ME ME ME.

3 Likes

Hell, Cole Bishop, who quit the team prior to the bowl game, excuse me, “opted out”, was a so called captain, A TEAM LEADER. What a joke this has become. The term “college football” is completely obsolete and useless. As some have suggested here previously, henceforth it certainly should be referred to as minor league football. It’s similar to minor league baseball in that employees regularly move from one organization to another, up and down different competition levels, monetary awards being the great motivator, and low and fleeting allegiance to a particular team (or college institution).

While I’m on a rant;

• Players moving between colleges at such frequency must not give a damn about curriculum, academic progress, etc. Seeing that the overwhelming majority will not play professional football, learning a trade would be of greater benefit to themselves and society than a degree in underwater basketweaving. Conversely, scan through the bios of the 4 consecutive NCAA champion Utah ski team, for both the men and women, their academic achievement puts the football team to shame, majors like mechanical engineering, computer science, civil engineering, et al.
  • Mikey Mathews seems like an adequate receiver and returner, but nothing to write home about, he’s small and not real buff. It seems to me Utah would be his high point.
  • Where does Bryson Barnes expect to land, SUU, Weber State?
  • Under the definition for the word Hypocrisy the Oxford English Dictionary reads: Utah football players proclaiming FAMILY! as their team mantra.

More than anything though, it is sad.

5 Likes

Watch the latest Extra Point podcast. Cal makes a great point about students losing sight of the degree. RoJo talks about FAMILY! and it used to be that way, but now it’s more ‘Family when convenient, otherwise, everyone for themselves!’

I guess student-athlete is now spelled paid-athlete. Some players leave early with a degree. Some finish it later and do have at least a few-year career in the NFL. But most will need a degree and transferring to lesser schools (if they are picked up at all) robs themselves of getting a good degree from a great university.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m beginning to think the “Family on 3” cheer is complete BS. Many of these players don’t give a rip about the Utah Utes.

3 Likes

The hostility and judgement in this thread is over the top.

9 Likes

“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.”

1 Like

All of this new reality sucks, but the kids are doing what they think is in their best financial interests within the (mostly nonexistent) rules of the system. I’m not going to fault them for that, regardless of how much I wish it wouldn’t happen.

Nearly every single one of us would immediately jump at the chance to go make a big pile of cash at 18, 19, 20 years old.

11 Likes

I dont fault them for making a financial assessment -

I fault them - even outright condemn them for the selfishness involved in abandoning their teammates who helped them get into a prominent position. I know my military background is coloring my outlook, but also the generation I was raised by (Alabama Mother, devout LDS Father, and Deep South foster parents). THese boys are showing ZERO loyalty or sense of that “family” concept Kyle has been working at so much. Your character and integrity, or lack thereof, tell the world, and the adults you’re hoping to impress, a LOT about whether they can count on you when things are important.

We’ve now see for 2 years exactly how that all colors the situation with Caleb Williams a s prime example. Money be damned - I want these young men to set a better example for those younger boys coming up behind them. So far, just because the NCAA rules changed, they seem to think it’s fine to tell everyone in the program to go EFF themselves, while they chase $$.

I really, REALLLY, cant get the image of Judas Iscariot out of my mind… that is how darkly I see this wave of disloyalty and avarice.

And frankly, if you are the type of person who would stab your teammates and coaches in the back just to make “a big pile of cash” at ANY age, well, I would be hard pressed to have much good to say about you in the long run. It would take many years to overcome such a bad first impression of lack of character etc. [assuming it was even humanly possible].

2 Likes

My hyperbolic thoughts about it…

Don’t blame the players. Blame the game and culture.

Look around. This is all a dark mirror of a whole culture obsessed with 10 minutes of fame and instant gratification. Loyalty and honor the way those of us over 50 and/or the military, grew up fantasizing about isn’t even a thing anymore.

These kids are not betraying their own values. They are acting the way they’ve seen everyone around them model for many years now.

Depressing as it is for we geezers this is their reality and we are just imposing our dinosaur worldview on their actions. But they didn’t cause the system to be this way. That blame somehow also rests with us. We allowed it to get this way because we also liked all the toys along the way.

Idiocracy just came way quicker than the movie predicted. So drink your Brawndo cuz it’s got electrolytes that plants need.

college football isn’t the problem it’s just a symptom of much bigger issues.

9 Likes

I hope the rancor is dorected towards transfers and NIL. For me, declaring for the NFL is totally fine and awesome if they are ready for it. I do hope they have or are close to a degree in hand, but not playing out your eligibility is fine for me if they are going pro. Leaving to get playing time, meh, ok. Likely they land at a lesser school or not at all. Chasing money? To the rack!

1 Like

Seems a bit over the top. Like it or not, college football is now a business and these kids are making business decision. Saying that it’s somehow a dark stain on their character feels entirely unfair. Do you feel the same about professional athletes (because that’s what these kids are now) in the NFL or NBA who change teams as well, or just kids who choose to leave Utah?

I also think you’re underestimating the impact that some of these “piles of cash” will have on these kids and their families. We’re talking about the opportunity for kids - some of whom come from lower income backgrounds - to make in a single year more than their whole families bring in over the course of a decade or more. That sort of opportunity can potentially lift entire families out of really difficult situations and can change the trajectory of their entire lives. And we’re going to sit here and cast judgement on their character because the choose that and aren’t sufficiently bought in to “1, 2, 3…family”? A noble sentiment, I suppose, but doesn’t reflect reality.

It sucks to lose players, but I don’t hold it against them one bit. If they can use their god-given athletic talent that they’ve dedicated their entire lives to and go make potentially life-changing amounts of money, then I’m sincerely happy that they get that chance. I strongly suspect the coaching staff feels the same way.

10 Likes

Great points Skiny.

I’ll also add this is the difference between being a fan and being part of the team.

Most of us have spent decades being a fan of everything Ute. I’ve ‘been a Ute’ twice as long as most of these guys have been alive.

We often mistake our fandom for their world.

Yes many become Utes for life, but that doesn’t change what their dreams were. Most college football and basketball players dream for years of becoming a pro athlete. So when they have that chance to go to the NFL or NBA they’re going to go.

They’re also people, and sometimes people need a change. It doesn’t mean anything is wrong with the program, it doesn’t mean they don’t like Utah, it means they need something for themselves.

My line of work used to be all of us in one department for a career. I still believe in that, but that’s just not how the current generation works. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong or right, it’s just what it is.

11 Likes

This post is purposely vague on specific players or citations of specific sports they play on. I’m involved in multiple NIL deals with athletes and there’s another concern I have with the new NIL structures across college athletics. The majority of these players don’t follow through on the business side of earning the NIL compensation. Yes the NIL contracts have specific performance objectives but a chunk of these athletes just cash the check and don’t successfully complete their contractual obligation. No appearance at the sponsor business etc. Some have entered the portal or declared for the professional level opportunities, leaving the sponsors high and dry. I’ve pessimistically concluded that a large portion of these “student athletes” never held a job when they were in high school. Instead they were excelling in their sport instead of flipping burgers etc. I need to remind myself they’re also 18-23 years old and still developing maturity too. Yes I support athletes’ rights to earn the compensation but they damn well better follow through on their end of earning the money. You want big money? Great! Then read your signed contract and follow through with your responsibilities. We’ve now moved to a split initial payment and a final retainer/post performance payment but now it’s a headache tracking down everything. Rant over….

8 Likes

Great info from someone in the know. I know it would be a hassle, but would a few successful breach of contract suits, likely in small claims court, be enough to establish an understanding of contracts for these kids? As I put in another thread, some way for there to be consequences for failing to fulfill a commitment needs to be established, because that’s how real life works, and if the athletes aren’t taught how real life works, there are much bigger problems ahead for them.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t want to be the litigant being portrayed as the big rich company suing a 19 year old kid because he/she didn’t make a social media post. Most (wise) companies would simply cut their losses and find a new sponsorship opportunity.

3 Likes

All the money aside, I am more worried about all this creating a generation of Todd Marinovich’s.

More than some of these kids, for our entertainment pleasure, aren’t getting to be kids and we are already seeing the results out there. It’s a game, nothing more. Almost all of them will see their dream end sooner than later, and having them ready and well adjusted for the next chapter matters. I would hope as fans this is something that could be agreed.

Honestly I hope those who choose to chase the dream the best of success; but as the equivalent of modern day gladiators, that success is going to have a cost on the back end. Ok, it has a cost in the during, too. I hope we aren’t wrecking their minds at the same time we are damaging their bodies.

2 Likes