Jonah Elliss declares for the draft

Thanks for the insight.

It’s insane to me that it has all progressed to this point without any guard rails whatsoever that protect all parties involved: the players, the investors, and the schools

2 Likes

Hearing of the “should I or shoudn’t I continue” debate that goes on with my friend’s son who’s been a walk-on at Utah while trying to get a degree in Computer Science, you have nailed the primary issue. He works just as hard as the rest of them, maybe harder on the scout team what with having to learn the next opponent’s plays plus trying to impress enough to get to dress for the game, but what he gets is a schedule that barely leaves him time to breathe.

1 Like

I can sure see that, and then something like the Crimson Collective pays the price by losing sponsorships. I just wish there were a way to instill some level of ethical behavior as part of this. Getting away with it is not going to be a good long-term life skill.

1 Like

Ethical? Does that exist? It should. Just not sure that it does. :grin:

It’s worked so far for a certain person. But I digress.

3 Likes

Wrong thread. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. It’s a great example of the need for basic rules, oversight, and accountability. The idea of the bureaucracy that would be necessary to enforce such rules is a little nauseating, but something needs to be done.

4 Likes

I just don’t think there are that many hitting life-changing, cash-in-hand, type of money. Those actually banking 500k are maybe a few per team. Maybe I’m wrong. It is a lot of money, but maybe can impact the next several years of lifestyle and maybe jump start some stability. Maybe it’s a consolation if they don’t make the league, but they still need a degree and earnings from post-athletic life to alter the course of their and other’s lives. I agree in some sense, but this crazy wild west will soon stabilize if donors don’t see a payoff to their investment. Or other rules get put into place.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s republican. Nothing will set off this crowd more than that.:person_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s the biggest issue. When will the 80 scholarship players, plus the 20 or so non-scholarship players, decide this is all BS and quit working just as hard as the few who get rich and tell the system to stick it?

2 Likes

Okay-okay GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 Likes

Be careful. Don’t trigger anybody here. We’re having a nice conversation.

1 Like

I hope the money that JJ is getting to move to the SEC is a great blessing in his life and maybe even a turning point. I hope he uses it wisely. I also hope that along with all the college football experience, and the money, and the possible notoriety he’ll gain from being at Arkansas, he gets his degree.

A college degree prepares you, both intellectually and socially, for your career and your adult life . The benefits of a college education include career opportunities like better paying and higher skilled jobs, but studies have shown that it also leads to overall happiness and stability.

Benefits of Earning a College Degree - Education Corner.

2 Likes

Perhaps we all need to take a step back and realize we’re all assuming a lot.

Could guys like JJ be getting a lot of money? Yes.

Could he also just want a change for himself? Yes.

These assumptions about what guys are doing can be a bit dangerous.

It’s well documented that much of the NIL stuff we see online isn’t accurate.

We’re often taking the “NIL Valuation” and using that as some sort of paystub, but that’s just not accurate. A valuation is far different than what someone is actually paying.

NIL has certainly changed the game, but so has the ability to transfer without penalty.

It may not always be about money.

3 Likes

Good points. Also, I have a high schooler who can’t stick to a decision for a week or wanta to drop, add classes several times a semester (and we have to point out how to finish something). There isn’t as much stick-to-itiveness these days. Usually everything is figure-outable, but also sometimes it’s an easier path for change. JJ had a difficult year with playing with an injury, various cosching decisions about various things dueing this challenging year were likely perceived differently by different players, and there was certainly some level of burden losing 2 friends and carrying that named TJAL scholarship.

I don’t fault JJ for a new start. Good luck - hope he gets healthy. I don’t fault any of the NFL guys - hope they represent in the League. I don’t fault NJ - he deserves to try to develop and have the chance to start and come what may.

The system is broken though. NIL is one thing. It’ll level out in the short term. The free transferring (and timing) is probably the bigger issue. No friction, like having to sit out a year. Movement too easy for anyone trying to find ‘stardom’ in the form of more playing time or $ or both. Sometimes taking that path to being told they are awesome rsther than being told they need to work on some things.

2 Likes