Johnny Manziel = Zach Wilson?

I didn’t mention the love life of Zach or any family members or friends.

5 Likes

My comment was more about the fact that we’re talking about irrelevant former byu-p quarterbacks, and less about Ute athletics on the message board. I realize that this is the byu category, I’ll go back to ignoring it. Carry on.

The New York Jets are the death star for QBs. But it’s clear that Wilson has no clue how to be an NFL QB.

I was listening to a NYC sports talk station, and today, being Festivus and the Airing of Grievances, was hysterical.

1 Like

I don’t get this comment at all. What QB’s did Philly ruin?

They reclaimed Vick and got maybe his most well rounded QB years out of him. They traded Bradshaw for a first rounder. They got Foles TWO huge contracts. They got Wentz to a MVP level and have done so again with Hurts.

Philly is a ■■■■■■■ QB factory.

Hurts - MVP race
Wentz - was in the MVP race. Traded him for multiple picks including a first round pick.
Foles - won a SB and got a big contract when he left. He got 4 years and 88 million deal.
Bradford - traded for a first round pick.
Foles - set records for best TD to INT ratio. Then signed a 25 million deal with the Rams.
Vick - had a very good run as QB for the Eagles. His first team after prison.
McNabb - his name speaks for himself.

So how has Philly churned through QB’s?

2 Likes

Nah. Schadenfreude is fun when your rivals talk so much junk about their NFL guys

2 Likes

Can’t forget Cunningham back in the '90s.

As for the Jets, aside from Namath, who’s done well there?

4 Likes

Chad Pennington started out great before injuries. Also Vinny T was end of career but good. That’s probably the #2 and #3 QBs behind Joe

I forgot all about both Pennington and Testaverde. That also proves the point that the Jets are where QB careers go to end.

1 Like

The NY Knicks of Football. Makes zero sense neither franchise can put it together.

1 Like

The Philly comment had more to do with Philly Fan than the QB’s.

For those who are too young to have experienced Philly Fan in their full glory, Philly Fan is famous for booing Santa Claus. Philly players (pick the sport) are famous for living anywhere but Philly while playing in Philly due to Philly Fan. If ZW was doing what he doing with the Jets while playing for Philly, the fans would be all over him. Truth is he would’ve been gone from Philly after last season, and a lot of that would’ve been Philly Fan.

Saw an ESPN piece on the booing Santa incident. Happened in 1968. Talked about snowballs, and what not.

It wasn’t a glaring indictment of Philly fan, but it wasn’t overly nice to them either.

I suppose that could be a good case study for some psychologist or socialogist-- why is Philly, well, Philly?

2 Likes

My middle daughter lives in Philadelphia. Her regular bragging about the Sixers, Eagles, Phillies, and, more rarely, Fliers makes me want to disown her. Philly fans are insufferable, always overrating all of their teams.

This is why I hate Villanova.

1 Like

I see Zach Wilson as a nice young guy, with a good sense of humor, who comes from an excellent family. He was not an obnoxious opponent, which I give him lots of credit for. I hope he does well in the NFL, and that the process does not grind him up.

6 Likes

Yeah, I hope he gets another shot and has a good career.

1 Like

It’s fun to watch Cougar fans go into histrionics and it’s fun to engage in fan smack.

That said, if Geno Smith can resurrect his career elsewhere, no reason to think Zach can’t do the same.

As we’ve talked about before, I wouldn’t wish Tyler Huntley a starting position with the Jets. Same for any Utah QB. They eat their own in the Meadowlands.

5 Likes

Nah. This stereotypical “Philly fan” is just silly. Philly fans are great. Philly fans babied Simmons for years, allowing him to never shoot and cheering him the whole way. They way the stadium cheered when he hit a three, you’d think they won a title.

Dodger and SF Giants fans kill each other after games. Utah fans are notoriously racist. NY fans just booed Judge. Hell, our own fans tried to run Whitt out of the state after his second 5-7 season.

Philly fans are just fans.

Do you know the story behind the booing Santa? If not, you’d see why he was boo’ed.

And had Wilson been in Philly, with Brian Johnson as his QB coach…well, last year Hurts was a guy who couldn’t throw deep, didn’t stay in the pocket and couldn’t read defenses. Now he is a candidate for MVP.

Odds are, looking at Philly’s history with QB’s, if Wilson was in Philly, he’d be leading a playoff team as an upper class QB.

As far as Philly players not living in Philly…

Embiid is in Philly and is always out and about. Harper is in Philly. Trea Turner just left the Dodgers and took less money to go to Philly. Wheeler took less money to go to Philly. Harden just took less money to go to Philly. Philly just signed Suh and Joseph and other players are lining up to go play in Philly.

It’s a ridiculous narrative that just isn’t true. It’s lazy.

3 Likes
  1. That was what…50+ years ago? That is Philly’s big “incident”?

Philly is a wonderful place. It’s nuts. You can always tell who has spent time in Philly and who hasn’t. It has everything. Great food. Great culture. Great tradition. Blue collar town. Lots of neighborhoods. Parties. Helping each other out. I’ve lived in Provo and Ogden, the epicenter or mormonism and christlike life…I never had neighborhoods come together, no matter the color, shape, religion, beliefs, like we did in Philly. It was amazing.

Talk to people that have lived in Philly. Most love it.

5 Likes

Like I said, most who have spent time in Philly love it.

2 Likes

It’s reputation precedes it: Philly, Provo, etc. We, too, have had better neighbors living outside of Utah. Our neighbors here are particularly friendly and helpful. We all watch each other’s houses when folks aren’t around. If we notice that we haven’t seen someone for a few days, they get checked up on. I don’t remember that ever really happening while growing up in Utah, or when we moved back in 2002.

Yes, that Santa thing is the “big” incident. At least according to ESPN. It’s the one story I’ve always heard associated with Philly. I don’t take much from ESPN at face value, aside from game scores.

Philly is a disgusting town with polluted rivers, bad drivers, and nothing to do. Philly people are obese, unintelligent, and generally disgusting. The only thing interesting is a philly cheese steak sandwich which probably contributes to their high level of obesity.

They are the Bakersfield of the east coast.

I cannot stand the city. I feel bad that I was not a good enough father that they aren’t living in California with me.

1 Like