Johnny Manziel = Zach Wilson?

Awesome thanks!

3 Likes

I’m not smart enough to know Zach Wilson future, but he does have his desenters

3 Likes

Has cooterboard heard about this yet? When they do, Daniel Kelley had better hire round the clock security.

1 Like

I’m an Alabama fan but people saying Mac Jones is going #3 is weird. I love watching Mac but taking him at 3? Nah. He’s a late first pick for me.

This year’s NFL draft…why pick a QB when most of these teams with alleged QB issues really need an O-line and skill players?

Whenever you have a mobile QB from college, it’s a crapshoot. They can either become Mahomes or Jackson, or they can turn into Tebow and Manziel. The only QB’s in this draft worth a first round pick are Lawrence and Fields.

5 Likes

I love how the article has to say that the analyst was a scout “under Bill Parcel” so people don’t immediately dismiss his opinion because he was a JETS scout.

3 Likes

I’d take a flyer of Trey Lance as well, but I’m a football junkie and follow/watch FCS as well. He’s got all the tools IMO. Would love to see him land in Indy or Pitt to get a year or two of veteran instruction – a Mahomes type situation. He’ll probably land around 10-15 which could put him in Denver. Bring in Alex for a couple of years to show him the ropes and he’d be ready.

Disagree with Fields. Not sure he’s not another Buckeye Bust. He was very inconsistent and had his worst games when he played the better teams on the schedule. He has tremendous upside but he’s at best mid to late first with me.

He has basically one year of tape. Seriously, go get a Huge LT or some playmaker at WR or TE before wasting an early pick on a guy who played FCS for one year two seasons prior.

I agree. I hate taking a QB high because it’s almost unfair (the compensation is good though) to the player. I’m that GM (if I actually was one) that is trading down and beefing up future drafts and taking some LARGE OT or D-Lineman (maybe LB) in the first. Nothing sexy. Build the trench. If you want to get flashy up on the top of the draft get a WR. I’d also be the first one drafting a TE.

1 Like

Does seem like the type that would benefit from at least half a season or a full one behind a veteran to learn the ropes, learn the system, and get used to the NFL speed (not only during a play, but reading the defense, adjusting, etc.). I don’t think Mahomes or Rodgers are the same QBs they are today if they were thrown in to start for the JETS game one of their rookie year.

Won’t matter if he’s on his back or running for his life. Probably will lead to scramble too early, get hurt, and lose confidence. Would be a shame, but the story has been written before.

This. It’s not sexy and everyone is searching for their franchise qb, but you can make an decent qb look like a franchise one if you have solid trenches and then add other talent. A qb alone won’t solve it. Zach might see what happened to Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez, etc. and take note.

2 Likes

What’s with all the fake niceness here? It goes against everything we stand for to root for BYU players. I hope he has a great life, but I don’t want him to be successful in the NFL. This is Utefans, right? We have been locked in a zero sum battle royale with BYU for 100 years. Every success they have is a defeat for us. Get your crap together, man up, and root against the headband.

6 Likes

This is the truth: Trent Freaking Dilfer won a Superbowl.

3 Likes

with Sam Darnold being shipped to Carolina, the Jets have traded away their last 6 first round draft picks

2 Likes

Imagine the stress relief to back up Brady in Tampa a couple seasons.

3 Likes

My apologies. You are right. He should be the suckiest suck of all sucks.

What I meant is it would be a shame if he had those excuses to fall on rather than just suck and having to own it and not let his mom blame the slow fat offense line and slow RB and butterfinger receivers and bad coaching for wasting her son’s talent and potential fashion deals.

I personally think he will bust even with his physical talents because: 1) JETS, 2) he won’t have the coaching or the time to learn how to read more advanced defenses, 3) he won’t be able to learn the system fast enough to be effective and build confidence, 4) he’ll get hurt when he scrambles too much, 5) he’ll start forcing it and become an INT machine

6 Likes

Not just Mahomes and Rodgers but Brady, Brees, and even Steve Young all benefited from being behind someone for most of their rookie year. It’s a once in a decade talent that is starter quality as a rookie. Is Trevor Lawrence? Maybe. Is Zach Wilson? I doubt it.

3 Likes

I heart sancho.

1 Like

Why in the hell do we have 65 entries on a Ute board about Wilson?

I know, I just added to it.

2 Likes

You’re right. I should create an Alabama Players available in the first round thread.

BTW, I just assume everyone’s a Broncos fan because of Proximity. Is that flawed thinking?

1 Like

that’s like saying everyone in Bama is a Jaguar fan

1 Like