Johnny Manziel = Zach Wilson?

Anyone saying “we needed him” is using hindsight. He’s not a miss. He played well for BYU but as said earlier his stock may not be high right now if he played in the PAC 12.

I am less impressed with him the more I see of him. People fall in love at Pro Day. See Jamarcus Russell

7 Likes

Of course it’s using hindsight. I am saying that, in hindsight, it’s obvious that it would have been nice to have the number 2 overall pick on Utah’s football team. THIS is the thing I have to argue! Contrarily, some people on this site are saying that we would not have improved if we had had THE NUMBER 2 OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT! I think that is just laughable, cougaresque reasoning.

I don’t think I am being unreasonable in my position here.

1 Like

Clearly, if we had a recruiting time machine, we’d go back and get him. That doesn’t mean our coaches made a big mistake in passing on him based on what they knew at the time.

I don’t wish him success at the next level, but I’m not obsessing over him like too many Ute fans. It’s okay to admit that he’s a really good QB,

1 Like

It’s easy to play the what-ifs, but if he had been recruited to Utah, people are pointing out it’s perhaps not even likely he would not have transferred while redshirting, being behind Huntley, and maybe (likely?) started last year. It’s probably unlikely he drives down to CA to work with John Beck. Maybe he gets injured like he did and had to reclaim his starting position or maybe he doesn’t.

Circumstances matter. He caught lightning in a bottle, had a great year with a brand new light schedule, had great stats, really got better, got more notice, and will get a boatload of money. Good for him. Will he start in the NFL? We’ll see. He’s a very good quarterback, but that’s what they’ve said about many 1st round, many 1st/2nd/3rd picks.

The only thing that matters is how he would have been at Utah. And I don’t know if he would have made that much of a difference until maybe being part of the qb room today (maybe/likely would have started this year, probably wouldn’t be going to the draft this year). He wouldn’t have received a chance to start over Huntley (who now has worked hard and started in the NFL). I don’t even know how Tuttle would have done. His issues were deeper with expectations and entitlement - we’ve seen how circumstances has led his path at Indiana.

5 Likes

Yes, I understand that his choice to attend school in Provo turned out to be inspired; a veritable true blessing from above. For him.

But, if I’m a Utah fan (fortunately, I am), I want this extremely talented QB (who just happened to be a HUGE Utah fan) to be on the Utah football team. Could things have not worked out? Could he have failed to improve absent the great leadership of the Ute-castoff Cougar braintrust? Could he have transferred if he were stuck behind an all conference-ish QB for a couple of years? Sure. But he would have started last year ahead of Jack Bentleaf, or whoever we were lining up under center, and likely have earned us one, if not two more wins. And conceivably more in 2019.

I mean, we’ll never know, will we. My basic point remains that there is no one, that is subsequently drafted in the NFL, that I think “Utah had enough talent–we didn’t need this guy.” Alabama may rightfully think that, not Utah. When you increase his draft spot to number 2, no one, not even Alabama, thinks “we didn’t need him.”

2 Likes

Dude went to Provo High to play ball…got schooled by the U. Is going to get a serious look by the NFL. Props to him, but it wasn’t a loss to us.

We had a solid QB that he wasn’t going to upend. Forget the massive ■■■■■■■■ of “MEH” that was the 2020 COVID season. We have three to four guys in the house now who are quality players who get to have a shot at getting their notch in history by boat racing TDS out of their own stadium. That said, it will be tough to match the Anaconda-like strangling we did to them in 2019. Sucking 9 plus minutes off a clock…and they couldn’t do anything to stop us.

5 Likes

I get it. I see your perspective. I just think circumstances matter. If covid doesn’t happen and they play their schedule, I don’t think his stats are all that great and maybe they are a 7-5 team. We will never know. Maybe playing better defenses shows that he really is that good. Maybe he throws more picks forcing it or gets injured by faster DLs/LBs as he scrambles. We will never know. Maybe he still would be a #2 pick or would be graded round 3 or 4 and he returns next years. We will never know.

What we knew when Utah was recruiting people was that we could get the #8 rated guy in an area we want to recruit well (CA) vs a #30+ pro qb that yes, was in our backyard and had legacy, but was a lower priority. It was a choice, but an informed one.

4 Likes

Who would be the nerdy girl’s repulsive little brother in this movie?

1 Like

Obviously mark pope.

8 Likes

Nailed it.

3 Likes

Also, judging what QB you should recruit based off NFL GM projections is a really bad idea. NFL GMs are the only people who value Pro days over actual game tape.

4 Likes

2018 BYU game was a one score game despite Zach Wilson playing with no NFL guys and Shelley having a team full of NFL guys.

If we had Wilson in 2018 in addition to Huntley, there’s no doubt we score more than 10 points needed to win the championship game and we have a Rose Bowl banner.

I thought you had left.

6 Likes

In 2018 Wilson wasn’t even an NFL draft pick let alone the #2 pick. Based on high school performance, the obvious choice for the one QB scholarship was Tuttle.

1 Like

Oh, we have only one QB scholarship available per year? Has that rule recently changed? Last year we signed three QBs.

Must be the Captain Tuttle rule.

1 Like

Is it moose? Did I read that somewhere on here? Not even sure how the ignore function works on this site, but I could see it being used frequently with some.

Well, that year they only gave out one scholarship to a QB. Next time Whit is over at your house asking for advice you should bring it up.

4 Likes

It works, and there’s a mute button to mute someone for x period time.

1 Like

Where is this mute button?

1 Like

preferences>>user>>

there’s a box under user that allows you to mute individuals, or even block them from your feed. It’s helpful, sometimes moose becomes a little too much to take. So a break from him can help.

4 Likes