Is it legal to just laugh hysterically at the Zoobs here?

I hate Gordon Monson.

But.

Will someone post this on cougarboard for me?

3 Likes

UConn would have likely struggled to fill out its schedule without a conference designation as the focus in major college football has mostly shifted toward conference-only opponents.

1 Like

It seems like the feelings towards byu has gone from hating how smug they are to never thinking about them. I’ll bet 10 years ago most MWC fans would say they hate byu, now I’ll bet they never think about byu.

I never thought I would see the day when byu and their fans lost that smug superiority complex but I think we’re seeing it now.

4 Likes

We have been witnessing the downfall of BYU Football for about 10 years now. They’ll never recover from going indie. This is their lowest point so far. I felt bad about it for a second, but then I simply got over it.

4 Likes

Is that a Y logo on Peter’s blue shirt?

1 Like

So the decision to go independent was a master stroke? The GA knew what they were doing (even if they had nothing to do with the decision :innocent:). So after all of the controversies over nut bunches in both FB and BB, BYU changed HCs. Then they have allowed the program to simply decline to the point where that crap would not likely occur again. Master stroke.

it does seem preparatory to pull the plug on football. If they were in a conference that’s a lot more uncomfortable.

1 Like

BYU fan over the past few weeks:

• we’re playing Alabama

• we’re going to be the Big XII 10th team for 2020

• conversations are being had between Notre Dame and Holmoe

• we’ll get a couple of games at least with the Big XII to fill out our schedule

• maybe the AAC will schedule us

• Hot damn, we got Navy and possibly San Jose

1 Like

I have a hard time poking fun at them for scheduling issues right now. If we still have a season it’s going to be heavily asterisked for every team, so it seems shortsighted and potentially dangerous to clown them at the moment. I still hate them, and will laugh at them for everything else, just treading carefully here.

No judgement here though. You do you.

Looks like BYU signed a deal to play Navy (in Annapolis) on Labor Day. (Then a TBD return trip to Provo in another season)

A quick glance for some lunchtime giggles - (paraphrasing)

“The Big-12 is hurting themselves by playing a bunch of creampuffs!” - this may indicate the end of the Big-12 fantasy chatter for awhile.

“Why are we playing Navy on the day we could be playing Oklahoma State?” - answered with “they’re playing Tulsa that day”

“Who is the health agency who has the authority to cancel games at the Naval Academy?”

“SDSU hasn’t canceled our game!”

I can see this scenario playing out: byu-provo beats Navy on Labor Day weekend. COVID goes crazy immediately after and teams across the country suspend their season. byu-provo will then claim they are national champions.

5 Likes

COVID-19 is already going crazy. The question is going to be do they actually get to kickoff and play the game?

Come to think of it, they should hope the whole thing gets scrubbed…it would put their perennial preseason - recruiting National Championships at risk. Better to walk away while they are still ahead, :wink:

1 Like

They would be National Champs every year if the refs didn’t conspire against them. Also, they never really lose, they just beat themselves. If they could ever get over the hump and stop beating themselves they would be undefeated in perpetuity.

2 Likes

About as legitimate as the '84 “Championship”

4 Likes

If East Provo had a clue, they would just shut it down. With the FCS, Division II, and Division III shut down, they should take it as a sign from above.

They may have a contract to play Navy, but it is likely the AAC will be shutting things down, too.

So what happens when the MWC teams can’t get their OOC dance cards filled? Do they add TDS to their schedules? Do they follow the P5 and go conference only?

How this all gets answered will be interesting.

Scratch another byu-provo opponent. They were supposed to play NIU.

1 Like

It’s great fun watching the Cougs bounce off the ceiling and then crash down the stairs, because of their predicament, and because they’re Zoobs. The uncertainty and changing dynamics for them makes for some nice comic relief.

Whether we have or don’t have a season is a decision to be made by smart, responsible people. We’re in good company. We’re not frantically calling around the country, hoping for invitations, pleading for acceptance or even just a date, or being angry because Navy says they had to take a step down in scheduling the Cougs, etc. Watching your historic rival playing keystone cops is great entertainment.

Part of me thinks the FCS and G5 leagues simply don’t have the resources for the testing regimen & all the precautions, and that’s why they’re bailing first.

MLB is doing a pretty good job, that’s the model we would follow, in all likelihood. In college FB, the amount of contact and the number of players is a serious challenge, a multiple of the risks of MLB, but the U has access to one of the best & quickest labs in the nation - ARUP. I think it could be done, but it would be pretty rough - late cancellations, players out, etc.

The other part of me thinks it might be wisest to set the example for all the high school & youth sports. “If the Utes aren’t playing, maybe we should be patient and just get through this”. (New Years Eve this year will be a serious relief for everyone.)

No matter what, we’ll be fine, as the PAC’s program for loans to school athletic departments reveals.

1 Like