Is it legal to just laugh hysterically at the Zoobs here?

Yeah, but do you really see any conference inviting them due to their history? From what I gather lots of bad blood still in MWC toward BYU, not the least with USU.

2 Likes

I think the fan base is closer to fading away than imploding. Apathy is more dangerous to a program than negativity. See Utah football in the 80’s, but without a conference.

3 Likes

For sure. I’m old enough to remember how passionate they all were. I would say most zoobs have about 2% of the passion that fanbase once had.

1 Like

For sure. I’m old enough to remember how passionate they all were. I would say most zoobs have about 2% of the passion that fanbase once had.

If one only bases their perspective on this by the BYU fans on cougarboard or Twitter, it won’t seem this way. But that is a vocal minority. All the BYU fans I know IRL are definitely more apathetic. None of them want to make the trek down to Provo for games anymore, when it used to be a big event for them and their families.

Savage. :smile::smile:

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1289698456617938944?s=19

3 Likes

Distaste the Zoobs, I do.
However, I thought the Yaucht Rock text style synth beat was fairly well coordinated with the actual football play action cuts.
Who made the cut? I’m not going to watch it again…

1 Like

Dang.

Thanks for sharing. That actually reinforced my hope that they might actually go DII or even cancel their program someday. Wow. It was like they weren’t even trying.

3 Likes

I was waiting for crying, and related. Almost reminded me of testimony meetings. I had an LDS gf and I did go to church with her a few times.

Good Luck to BYU, now if they were smart, they’d go, hat in hand, back to the MWC and beg to be invited back. They won’t do that, but hey, they’re an ongoing comedy act for us to enjoy.

6 Likes

And players from that game are grandfathers now.

1 Like

Deleted,. Already posted.

I think it’s adorable. They didn’t even use a script. (Obviously.)

https://twitter.com/jaxsondart/status/1289681944658075648?s=21

2 Likes

Well, it was their own dumb choice to leave that league. The Mountain West has no obligation to save BYU football from their own hubris.

6 Likes

I do believe you restated something I said earlier in this thread, especially with my reference to bad blood still in MWC toward BYU.

3 Likes

The way they exited the MWC made any potential grumbling from our promotion to PAC evaporate. I had a New Mexico fan at the Sun Bowl tell me that - “you guys going to the PAC - any of us would have done that. But what BYU did…

Pretty funny stuff.

They essentially wrecked the WAC, and had to find the WCC for non-football sports.

It’s been 10 years, and it’s still poisonous, to the point where the “back to the G5!” crowd is split between trying to mend fences with the MWC, and other half looking at the AAC.

I could have never predicted just how screwed up their situation has become, nobody would have believed it. The multiple insults from the Big-12, the hallucinations about being the Notre Dame of the West - only to have the real Notre Dame forget about their scheduled games - losing to teams like Toledo.

4 Likes

I know there was a lot of bad blood when byu left the MWC but that was a while ago. I’ll bet byu would draw large crowds all over the MWC and at this point their ADs and Presidents have probably changed over since byu left and the new guys would love the large crowds.

I do think byu’s contract with ESPN isn’t nearly as good as byu fans would like to believe.

2 Likes

I think you’re essentially right. Some fans would remember, for sure, they’d go right back to being hated like they were, but the ADs have to care about butts in seats, and TV sets.

1 Like

I think the MWC would take BYU back without hesitation, but I wonder about attendance. I think they’d sell seats on the first few tours. There are fans in those MWC cities who haven’t had a chance to see BYU in a long time. But BYU doesn’t even sell out at home anymore. Casual LDS fans in Ft Collins aren’t gong to come back year after year to see BYU play unless the game has some significance, which it wouldn’t.

2 Likes

You may be correct with the admins, but the MWC fans, they remember.

1 Like

That is a good one. Not that I’m a recruiting expert but looking at the commits for both programs, that talent gap is going to be even larger going forward.
I don’t know that byu is even getting MWC caliber recruits.

Speaking of MWC, has everyone seen the CSU news today? Yikes.