Interesting. Rumor coming out of Bay Area about this year's football schedule

This might nudge Notre Dame to fully join the ACC, as they already have a scheduling agreement.

The rough quote from Spence Eccles is pretty accurate, in terms of what has happened. Meyer was only here 2 years, but I’ll never forget the reaction in Cougar nation after we won the Fiesta Bowl. “At least it’s over, and it will never happen again”.

At least until 4 years later, when it happened again.

And then in '09 was the prototype marketing disaster “Quest for Perfection” where they really, truly believed it was their time.

And then in May 2010… we got the promotion they assumed was rightfully theirs, or something.

I think you could make the case that 08-09-10 was the worst 3 years in BYU’s history. It’s only been reinforced since, in different ways.

• You want a blowout? 54-10.
  • You want an embarrassment? Vegas Bowl, 35-0 in less than a quarter, even with a massive advantage of fans, who had scooped up the tickets, knowing far in advance where they were playing
  • You want multiple “this close” losses? Take your pick.

Even last year, some thought Zach Wilson’s Sophomore Swagger was somehow going to lead them out of the wilderness… but everyone knew the game was over on the first pick 6 by Bernard. The “whoosh” of energy out of that stadium was more ferocious than the thunderstorm that would give them all an excuse to go home early.

If they end up with a H-H with New Mexico State, Liberty, etc - within the same season(!) - we’ll hear more calls within their fanbase to shut down the program.

5 Likes

I heard you can only run spread offenses - 6 feet apart. No pick routes. Two-hand no touch. 3 alligator rush, 1 blitz per 4 downs. Jk

1 Like

The only thing that would make this better is if this was one of the years that we had to play in provo. Their meltdown about us not playing them would be epic.

4 Likes

I think this would be a cool format… What happens to football’s post season though? Regular season only?

Isn’t there some talk of moving the season to spring? Can you imagine USC coming to play in SLC in February? They always get to road games to the colder climates early in the season.

1 Like

Dude, you are on a roll. Keep posting!

1 Like

Schedule SC early in January, a night game. That’s a must. (Right?)

3 Likes

I saw this, but it’s just one of many potential formats being discussed right (think Clay Helton spoke about it)? It’d make for an interesting season. I wonder if the championship game would still be played?

As for the terribles down south, it’s not like their season matters anyway. Play games, cancel games, it all has the same net effect for them which is they don’t matter. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely funny but mainly because they still think that they do matter. What’s even more funny is that they think they’re a basketball power and are a basketball school now. Hollywood couldn’t script that level of delusion.

Back to things that do matter, do we even keep divisions this year or just take the outright conference winner with contingencies in place for tie-breakers?

4 Likes

With the announcement that Cal State Universities will be on line only, I wonder how this “plays out”?

End of the day, who wants to risk health cramming into a stadium? Is it really worth it?

1 Like

Not sure we can really talk smack about hoops with them right now. Hopefully that will change if this incoming class is as good as they say they are.

1 Like

We beat them this past season, when they supposedly had this “great” team. So yeah, we can talk smack.

8 Likes

I would imagine it would be up to the individual schools to re-schedule or buyout the games.

1 Like

I’ve assumed that all players would all want to play, but maybe that’s not completely true?

1 Like

This from an espn article… “a spokesman for the UC system told CBS Los Angeles it is “likely none of our campuses will fully re-open in the fall.””

My best guesses are a) there is no college football in the fall or b) major rescheduling to match up teams that can/are allowed to play (think weird mwc/pac 12 hybrid). I highly doubt any of the california schools will have football. I so hope I am wrong.

I can’t see the U fully opening up in the fall, but there will be a TON of online learning classes.

IF we have a football season - there’s an enormous amount of interest to start to return to something more normal than stay-at-home and the more aggressive social distancing we’ve been employing - I think a TV-only solution would be better than no season.

This scenario would have to require plenty of testing/re-testing, and self-quarantining would be part of the fabric, understood and accepted by all the coaches and players that a player infected would be out, period. Players could stay in player-only dorms.

The teams fly in chartered planes. Those could be disinfected, as could the buses and hotels. Just let the plane sit for a couple of days. 1000s of planes parked these days.

I could see a scenario where a season could be cobbled together. If a team has a sizable outbreak, disruption in schedule for the next month, so there’s the incentive for everyone to be as safe as possible.

Far short of ideal or “normal”, but it beats the alternative of no sports.

2 Likes

We won 3 of the last 5 games, iirc.

3 Likes

I think it was r/cfb who ran the numbers, and there will need to be around 2 million tests in order for football to work this season. That is for active virus testing for all of FBS, FCS, D-III. And that is just testing teams and coaches/staff. Huge undertaking.

I wonder what watching games on tv will feel like without crowd noise?

2 Likes

Like the spring game I suppose, only quieter. It will be odd for sure.

1 Like

I guess we did turn the corner a few years ago. Take the last 12 or so years and they look to be better but we have made progress lately. We were fortunate that Childs couldn’t finish the game last December, but there should NEVER be excuses and the team with the most points wins.

2 Likes

Not surprising Gordon Monson just put up an article saying the PAC-12 11 game conference schedule is a stupid idea.

1 Like