I keep telling my wife easy with the horn, and put that middle finger away

she is lightening fast at using both

the shooter better get attempted murder charges at a minimum

And the two vehicles involved were…pickup trucks!

1 Like

there’s a Trump flag joke somewhere there just waiting to be constructed, but I’m not touching it

6 Likes

No good ever comes from being angry, and certainly not when driving.

Please stay calm and safe out there everyone.

4 Likes

Reading the updated details is frightening … with the number of rounds fired it is fortunate no one died and that more (and innocent travelers) were not hurt.

Unbelievable!

2 Likes

Reading the comments on KSL is also frightening. A couple racists are siding with the shooter saying the other truck was full of cartel members. They’re basing this on the Hispanic last name of the victim. Nonsense. Cartel members don’t drive to the nearest hospital if they’re shot.

Shame on KSL for reviewing those comments and approving them.

3 Likes

“Luker was shooting his firearm while driving approximately 70 mph, out of his front passenger window, aiming at the tires of the white truck, but hitting the driver and left rear passenger,” a Utah Highway Patrol trooper wrote in the affidavit.

So at almost point-blank range he missed, striking two targets 5 feet or so above the tires, which he says he was aiming at. Uh-huh.

2 Likes

Pretty rare that any good ever comes of owning/carrying a gun either, and certainly not when driving.

3 Likes

I haven’t rolled in a year because of Covid, but that’s one of the reasons why I really enjoy JiuJitsu.
It’s kind of astounding how aggressive people can be when they have very limited ability to actually defend themselves. While I’ve taking gun safety courses and understand how things work - target shooting can be fun - and some circumstances can be quite dangerous… but, I also think that
weapons can contribute to a false sense security, even accelerating some disputes.
I encourage everyone to embrace Judo, JiuJitsu and or MMA training to improve one’s ability to defend themselves as well as a humble appreciation of how physical confrontations can and should be avoided.

2 Likes

What the mods on KSL allow to be posted is alarming. They’ll post the messages claiming a Hispanic man is the cartel but post something about more checks for gun purchases and it will never see the light of day.

5 Likes

Another ridiculous comment claimed the victim rammed his truck into the shooter after being shot, so the shooting was self defense. If you’re traveling next to a car firing bullets into the driver or the tires, there’s a 50/50 chance the vehicle you’re shooting will swerve into you. 100% chance it will swerve right or left.

1 Like

Hmmmm. I always thought self defense was firing a weapon AFTER being attacked by the other person, not before. Silly me.

3 Likes

clap, clap

sounds like the other truck had some involvement, but nothing more than reckless aggressive driving

I was just going to post this and encourage everyone to be very careful on the road, and everywhere else for that matter.

The current political climate and the pandemic seem to have pushed a lot of people who were already operating close to he edge, complete over it. My nephew, who is a SLC police officer, tells me this sort of thing is happening constantly, and innocent people are going to get hurt and killed.

The day when honking or giving a finger to anyone has long since passed - it’s simply too dangerous. When I’m driving, if someone comes up behind me, I move over immediately. I always have, as it seems like the courteous thing to do, but I’m doing so now even more quickly and as a defensive measure.

I hope that someday SOON we will get past the pandemic, find some ability to tolerate or cooperate politically, and return to a society where there is something approaching civility,

Be careful out there everyone.

3 Likes

When someone does something that has the potential to annoy me while driving (could be an honest mistake, distracted or impaired driving, aggressive or rude actions, etc) I try to stay calm, stay out of their way, and let it go as I don’t know how they will respond if I act in an unfriendly manner. For all I know they just lost their job, had their marriage/relationship break up, found their child in bed with someone they greatly disapprove of, had terrible financial news, etc., and one more thing is going to push them over the edge.

Stay safe and sane

2 Likes

additionally, no matter how safe a driver you are, we’ve all made a boneheaded traffic error at some point. I think most incidents are honest mistakes

4 Likes

12th Street and I-15 southbound. Jacked up diesel trucks ready to power over and swoop to beat the 2 lanes. I put my cute Toyota Corolla in sport mode and zip. Cracks me up when a coal roller wants to attempt to show me who’s boss. I keep sipping my coffee.

2 Likes

Same reason I move over when someone comes up and starts tailgating on the freeway in heavy traffic. For all I know, they are in a hurry because of a family emergency - I’ve been in that situation myself. I just assume it must be important and get out of their way.

The last Priest at our Parish used to always remind people, that if we all drove the same way we interact with people in the living room of a house hosting a party, the world would be much safer, happier, and infinitely more civil.

Sort of like, someone turns on a turn signal, as if to say, “excuse me, can I sneak through here?”, and the person in the lane next to them says, “oh please, after you”, slows and let’s them in. In the end, what does it cost, you get where you’re going 10 seconds later?

2 Likes

I almost rear ended someone while raging; tried to double bird the jerk behind me out my sunroof, and was stretched out far enough I missed the brake on my first attempt. Not worth it.

Remember, he was shooting at the other truck’s tires. Through that other truck’s front and back windows. At point blank range. :roll_eyes:

1 Like