I have an appointment with Johnson & Johnson

Further evidence:

1 Like

Sure but most of us out here are roaming the streets with bodies less like Zach Moss.

2 Likes

I am scheduled for Saturday afternoon in farmington. No idea what one I will get, they told me that people take whats available and my favorite vaccine is, as Dr Dunn said, the one that is available!

1 Like

I did the same thing. 1:30 tomorrow in Provo. I really hate to drive through that county down south but I’ll make an allowance for this purpose.

My wife and I both received the first shot of Pfizer today and boy was it a breeze. We arrived at the Davis County facility, handed the guy our form and ID, drove inside the arena, received some verbal info from the nurse and received the shot. The whole process took less than 25 minutes, including the 15 minute waiting period.

Davis County is mostly Pfizer as of today.

2 Likes

Got my first shot on Monday. The sore arm reminded me of the Cholera shot. The Wednesday fugue state was a little interesting, though.

For whatever reason, when people were telling me about stuff they did “yesterday,” I mentally attributed those thing to being done on Monday, so when talking with everyone I was a day off. I did all my Wednesday meetings but kept running into issues due to that whole “Tuesday” thing.

When I got home that night, I walked in the door and my daughter said, “Dad I need to show you something.” We went to the kitchen and there was a coffee cup sitting on the coffeemaker. Not that me brewing up a second cup and forgetting it is unique, so my thought about her twisted glee was, “And???” She then said, “Check the cup.” So, I checked the cup. It was a clean, unused cup. It seems I set things up to brew, then totally forgot to do it…and thought I had done it and had drank it. My wife and kids had a good laugh about it.

Since it hasn’t been documented, I hereby add “COVID Shot Brain” to the list of side effects. You don’t really lose a day, but your brain definitely takes a flyer on you. It’s either that or I was just that overrun by work.

Please let April 19-23 get here soon. I want my annual road trip to St. George this year. By then both my wife and I will be fully vaccinated.

1 Like

I got Moderna. No question there’s a serious sense of relief, of liberation, it’s a major anxiety eraser.

The first shot was minor soreness at the point of injection, the 2nd shot brought slightly more noticeable symptoms, a little achy. Colleagues have been wiped out for up to a day & half with “can’t get out of bed” level symptoms.

I didn’t feel the urge to rush out and go maskless everwhere and giggle and swagger into a bar and declare myself free. Still mask where applicable, of course, this is a public problem & I’m part of the public.

Fortunately we’re all going to be protected, and soon, but to be stone-cold sober about things, I wouldn’t declare a complete return to normalcy. Expect another vaccine in the fall to deal with variants, and keep practicing common sense precautions. The Brazil & South African variants are causing angst among scientists, but there’s good reason to think we’ll be able to overcome these, too.

Survey - How many of you caught the cold or the flu this winter? In my circle, almost nobody got sick this year… a by product of Covid precautions. More questions than answers on this ancillary revelation, but I no longer think the Asians I’ve seen in airports wearing masks were needlessly paranoid.

Covid will be a problem for at least a few years, but science & building the manufacturing & distribution capabilities will win. And just exercise a little common sense. Wash your hands like your mom told you.

I just got an appointment for March 20!

1 Like

Yeah, people are odd. Proximity does wonders for illness transmission. Influenza is way down also.

Back to the subject at hand. Of the vaccines, the one that I’ve been most interested in is the J&J one. One shot, fewer side effects (supposedly), covers what I’m most concerned about (the worst of the covid effects).

There is good advice from Mom. It’s a great carry over for me from so many years in foodservice. When in doubt wash your hands, still not sure? Wash them again. I haven’t been seriously ill from a virus in years due to the wash your hands axiom.

1 Like

I’m solidly in the general public bucket (it keeps changing, but likely 16-59 will be the span). I did some math (for CO) and we should have enough doses for 70% of adults (depends on how many are willing to get it, could be lower) by mid-May, so I’m hoping late Apr/early May will be my spot. I’m #609 on Kaiser’s waiting list for that phase once it opens up, which I assume will mean I will be near the front of the line when it’s my phase’s turn. I’ll take whatever they have.

I have started hearing about more and more people ‘vaccine stalking’ where they call Walgreens at the end of the day and ask if there are any leftovers. I don’t know how I feel about this, but surely feel it’s better to get into people’s arms than go to waste. But if they could have last minute people on call in the current phase, then we’ll get to the next one sooner.

My family has had no colds or flu in a year. We have been quite cautious, but between masks and washing hands, none of the regular coughs, running noses, occasional fevers it seems like my kids rotate through.

I hope we continue washing hands well, stay home when sick, and wear a mask if we are sick and need to go out. Between the two, it will keep spread down through respiratory droplets/aerosol (suspended or landed then touched). In regards to Asia (we adopted our son from Korea), they not only wear masks for illness, but also for pollution/air quality and sometimes just to keep their face warm in colder months (mixed with inversion/pollution in the same months). I don’t know why the perception is that you are weak or weird/paranoid in this country (pre- or during- pandemic).

1 Like

I always get a cold in December or January, and I then have to fight off a sinus infection. This year I got a very minor cold (I really don’t know how I managed that) and a bit of sinusitis. I consider that a significant victory.

3 Likes

My daughter had a terrible chest cough for a couple of weeks in January last year, just before we learned about COVID. Everyone else caught a bit of something from her and had a fever and chills for a couple of days. Wondering now if it was early COVID.

A day of blah here and there, but so far, on the whole we’ve been healthy as horses.

I think it is a good idea that everyone avoid touching your face.

2 Likes

No one in my family/extended family had either a cold or flu this winter. This is certainly a first.

During my years of business travel, I got in the habit of using Clorox Wipes on airplanes, in hotels, my deck, phone, etc. during the flu season, washing my hands, and religiously not touching my face. As much as I was traveling, it was the only way to avoid being sick several times each winter. During those years, the only time I got sick was when my wife had a cold/flu and I was home for the week.

If I ever have to go back to that lifestyle (heaven forbid), knowing what I know now, I’ll also wear an N95 mask when I’m on planes or in airports - to hell with what anyone thinks of me.

I was sicker than I’ve ever been in late Feb 2020. Knocked me out for a day and a half and residuals for 2 weeks - just in time to go into the office again for 3 days before WFH started.

• My wife and I came down with symptoms the same day but hadn’t been together for 3 days (it was a Monday - she was returning from a 3-day trip with her sisters).
  • None of our kids got it.
  • We likely were exposed/caught it at the same time.
  • We are pretty sure we know when we likely caught it (8 days before we were in a crowded place for a church conference and 10 days before went to a restaurant that could have had Int’l travelers from China) - the incubation period seems long for flu (usually 3-4 days)
  • We both gave blood in July and my wife didn’t have COVID anti-bodies (but how good was testing?). I don’t know my results because things didn’t get linked up correctly in the system.

I am pretty sure it was Influenza A (probably should have got tested, but the doctor said it was going around and to rest and intake fluids), but there’s still a small part of me that wonders if we had covid early. Probably not (they are postulating it was here earlier then reported, but in very small pockets), but would be ironic that we are probably the most careful of any of our friends. At least we knew if we got covid and it could be worse than flu, we knew how that felt and it sucked. BTW, I do get flu shots every year, but sometimes it’s a miss I guess.

Who did you schedule your appointment with? I can’t find anyone that’s taking appointments for under 65 yet.

Start here. Appointments might be a couple of Weeks out.

And if you aren’t a salt lake county resident check your county’s health department page. I’m guessing it’s front page for every county.

1 Like

It’s not so bad, I have a passport that allows transit through happy valley with 1 short stop. No layovers which is OK with me.

2 Likes