Holiday music 2020

I ran across this YouTube of Yo-Yo Ma and Alison Krauss teaming up on a traditional Christmas carol. It’s interesting and lovely because her voice is out front, and the instrumental accompaniment is quite understated. And it is Yo-Yo Ma, after all.

Please share the holiday music you like! (Let’s try to keep a balance between gag songs and actual fine music.)

That was beautiful. I prefer Christmas music though. :wink: I love the classics, Frank, Bing, Perry, Dean.

1 Like

I knew this one would show up, but not this early in the thread!

1 Like

Trying to be inclusive…

1 Like

Since I am being “That Guy”, let’s get this one out of the way, too.

Could post the whole concert, but here is a taste.

1 Like

The greatest Christmas duet ever.

4 Likes

Or you’ve lived in LA too long. I hear it’s a misdemeanor to use the word Christmas out there. :joy:

1 Like

This is a soaring version of “The First Noel.”

And here, on Angels We Have Heard on High," Josh Groban and Brian McKnight show a ton of vocal chemistry.

“Christmas Music” is the worst thing about Christmas.

Fight me.

2 Likes

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon hanging Christmas lights. Through most of that time I could not get that mindless Paul McCartney song, “Wonderful Christmas Time,” out of my head.

That said, I have to say the coolest Christmas song arrangement ever to me is Mannheim Steamroller’s version of, “Silent Night.” So good it can bring me to tears if I’m in the right frame of mind.

Silent Night arranged by Chip Davis

5 Likes

Yes. I love that entire album.

1 Like

“Wonderful Christmas Time” is the worst Christmas song ever. Right behind it is “Little Drummer Boy”

1 Like

The Yo Yo Ma and Alison Krauss duet appears on the album Songs of Joy and Peace that Yo Yo Ma performs with a number of pop stars (James Taylor on Here Comes the Sun, for example).

But here is the greatest Christmas Carol ever recorded, profound in its evocation of the importance of the season

4 Likes

That’s just a great album in general.

Fixed that for you.

1 Like