Good SUVs

I think you hit the nail on the head with think them invincible. They are not. Our BEST snow car was an '01 Audi S4. It was heavy, mileage was so so at best, it was a PITA to maintain, but man was it good in the snow. Never lost traction in the worst of conditions. We tried, never did.

1 Like

Thanks! I had no idea I would have trouble test driving one. I may take you up on it.

I’ll also definitely look into the SR5 Off Road version - as you can see from what I’m driving now, I don’t change cars often, so I’m usually happy to pay a little extra, or use after market mods to get what I want :slight_smile:

4runners are dinosaurs. Pigs for gas mileage, an ancient 5 speed tranny.

They are that way because the run 4ever. Proven reliability. I owned a 2001 until January of this year. 267k miles. Rebuilt the tranny, did normal maintenance. It is going strong for someone.

I traded it in for a 2016 4runner TRD Pro, (which are next to impossible to find), arguably the stiffest suspension of any since they are their most off road capable. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it cross country comfort wise.

I wish they would have a more up to date drive train. I get about 16.5 mpg. Toyota could easily improve both performance and gas mileage by upgrading the engine and transmission. Still, it can go places I don’t dare take it. Besides Fiat/err jeeps, not much is as off road capable and that’s important to me.

2 Likes

I have a friend that’s had a couple of Foresters, and my nephew has one, a 2018 I think. They’ve loved them. I can add that my 2014 Outback with 105,000 miles on it is by far the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. I have not had to fix anything, just replace normal wear items (tires & break pads). It doesn’t use any undo amount of oil, either. It’s a great car. Whenever I think I’d like to have a new car I think, “Why?”

1 Like

Once Nissan messed up the Pathfinder in the mid-2000s (I had a 2002 that I really liked, sold it to my step-daughter who still has it, and they love it), the 4Runner and the Wrangler really haven’t had any competition for a real 4WD, truck chassis type of vehicle. AWD is definitely not 4WD, and if you want to be seriously off the beaten path, it’s best not to confuse the two.

2 Likes

The Subaru Outback and Legacy are both built in the US. Put together by American hands in West Lafayette, Indiana.

1 Like

From Boilermakers to Subarumakers. Doesn’t quite sound the same for a college sports town. Now, Beetdiggers, ummm…

I traded in my beloved '98 Toyota 4runner and my 2016 Toyota Carolla S for a Subaru Crosstrek Limited, and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. Smaller than what you’re describing, but gets the job done just fine. I added a towing hitch so I can still use my girly trailer when need be, I also added a bedazzled thingee for the hitch spot when not in use. The clearance is amazing.

Food for thought.

4 Likes

My son, who lives in Portland and hikes, bikes, camps a lot, has a Crosstrek and keeps telling me I’ll like it more than my old Trooper. I’m not sure, but he swears by it.

2 Likes

Well as long as you like poorly built cars you’ll surely be happy

1 Like

At least give it a test drive.

I will :slight_smile:

1 Like

My septuagenarian mother has driven Foresters for years. When they do break down, she’s been treated very well by Mark Miller Subaru. They seem like great vehicles.

Some number of years ago we picked up a used Impreza for $2k, put it through the grinder of three new drivers, had one wreck but begged off the salvage title, and basically drove it into the ground for over ten years until it lost a cylinder and I got tired of moving it around in the driveway. I sold it for $600. Great value.

Of course here I humble-brag that I’m still driving a '96 Tacoma. I retired it from regular commutes but it still runs great. It will never die.

My daily is a '06 Jeep Liberty. Drives great in the snow and I hate it otherwise. 17 mpg and bizarre things like to break like the power windows (twice!). Cost me nearly two grand to fix the A/C. A coworker has one with similar problems and the transmission failed spectacularly, so I have that to look forward to.

1 Like

I like the look of the Jeep Liberty, but they stopped making them after 2012. Maybe they just gave up

LAUte, I found your dream machine.

also comes in neutral white, vanilla, egg shell white, and ivory

Does the Honor Code come up on the video screen?

2 Likes

No. I believe the Honor Code is first displayed on the door window(s) before you attempt to enter the vehicle; then, you must first read and acknowledge, by clicking on the “Accept” space, before the doors will unlock.

3 Likes

I bought a 2020 4runner SR5 premium last August because it’s the only BOF reliable SUV out there. Its a pig and gets terrible gas mileage but the 1GR-FE is going to last longer than I’ll ever need it to and it will take me more places than I dare go.

According to KBB it’s worth 6k more than I paid OTD - maybe it’s time to sell? :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s reassuring. But yeah, it’s kind of a nice blend between a SUV and a typical 4x4 Jeep. It’s also big-guy comfortable to drive.

I always thought that the Liberty was a good concept by Jeep/Fiat/Mercedes-Benz/et al.

Seems that it had too many issues.