Good SUVs

I bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary and it has been absolutely wonderful. It drives more like a car than the usual jeep.

I think the whole Jeep wrecked my back is a thing of the past.

That’s interesting, and discouraging, I’ve been thinking about test driving and buying a forerunner - I’ll still drive one, need to get something, but I can’t be driving a boat.

I’m interested in what others think about the 4Runner, and if there are other smaller “truck-like” SUV’s that people would recommend.

I’ve been driving a 2000 Isuzu Trooper since 2002, it’s finally wearing out and I need a replacement. My problem is, no one seems to make a reasonable replacement. It has been the perfect SUV for me; never a daily driver, but rather the car we used to take outdoors (hiking, biking, XC skiing, camping) trips and to use to go back and forth between our residence in SLC and our summer home in southern Idaho.

It is a 6 cylinder, gets ok mileage for the vehicle type, is rugged and has a very good four wheel drive system. seats 4 comfortably, and has a ton of cargo space for the vehicle size. I love that it has a DOOR in the rear, rather than a tailgate.

I’ve tried to replace it many times over the last almost 20 years, because they stopped making them and parts are getting rare, but every time I looked, I found nothing that was really similar.

I had hoped the 4 runner would be the ticket, but have not driven one of the newer ones yet. Most SUV’s seem to be either WAY too large, or too small, too car-like, and/or limited cargo space.

Any ideas?

Rivian R1t :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve noticed that! I’ve been focusing on Fords and Jeeps. What I see there in Central Utah are Ford and Chevy trucks, and Jeeps.

We bought a slightly used Ford Explorer in 2005 and we still have it after 3 kids using it in college. It has simply been a great car. I’m tempted to get another one but it’s bigger than what we need. That’s why I am curious about Subarus. I’ll look at Ford’s smaller SUVs.

Funny, that you mention driving cars until the wheels fall off. We have an '01 Nissan Frontier. We bought it new with 200 miles on it. It now has almost 200k. It leaks oil, the CEL keeps coming on, but for a 20 year old truck I’m not gonna whine too much.

That said, we’re getting to the point of replacing it. So this convo has been interesting. We’re looking for similar to LA, in that it will primarily be a passenger vehicle, that needs to go in the dirt every so often. We’re leaning to another truck, like the Ridgeline, because it can haul passengers too.

Our reqs, as listed above also include being able to tow a SMALL trailer for motos and occasionally bigger stuff.

I’ll keep following this discussion. It’s been good.

Get the new bronco! It will help you fit in with the hip black women.

I’ve actually been thinking about a Bronco. Might be more off-road capability than I need.

The Bronco Sport is just an AWD and not really intended for much off road. There will be Bronco models coming out that will have all the off road doo-hickies anyone could ever need.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, I was just doing some research on that. Might be an option.

Not sure if you care about MPG, but Bronco’s fuel efficiency rating appears to be pretty below par.

I used to joke that when my wife and I first moved here in 2001 with Vermont plates on a Subaru Forester that we would tell folks we were a lesbian couple…

3 Likes

Yeah, the Ford Escape is much better on that score. There’s even a hybrid version. I don’t know much about it yet.

Isn’t it funny all the different kinds of rigs people like — and don’t like? There’s no real right or wrong answers here.

1 Like

Yes, I’m pretty sure LA will be happy with whatever he ends up with. But he could be happy and cool if he goes with the Brat.

Can’t argue with that. The Brat! Ha :sweat_smile:

lol - well put.

The last thing you want to do is break down in coal country where the county has declared a state of emergency because their kids are moving away… driving a Mercedes Sprinter van that cost $150K.

Throw in a SUWA bumpersticker… might get some bullet holes.

1 Like

I think there’s also a hybrid Jeep Wrangler that is suppose to be pretty good.

If you’re in the Salt Lake valley you’re welcome to come take ours for a test drive! :slight_smile:
You also might be able to check out the SR5 Off Road addition. It’s likely got a stiffer suspension. When we bought ours we had difficulty even finding one to test drive due to the shortages.
I’m planning on leveling it with Bilstein’s and possibly some springs.

Jeep now has a hybrid and a V8 rubicon model. As for ride comfort, if you have the money put on some Teraflex suspension parts and their sister company’s Falcon shocks and I kid you not you will be driving in comfort. It blew me away. Jeeps, surprisingly, keep their value pretty good as well. Especially if you add quality aftermarket parts.

As for Subaru, I have never owned one but I work up Little Cottonwood Canyon and I’ve seen more Subarus off the side of the road in winter than any other vehicle make. I’m guessing it’s because people driving them think that the subaru is invincible in snow and ice. I’ve been working in the mountains for 20+ years now. Over those years I’ve had 3 coworkers total their subaru in snowy conditions. Not one of them bought a subaru for a replacement. On the other hand, my old boss had an old subaru that last him 20 years with over 250k miles and he never crashed it.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/rubicon-392.html

Little Cottonwood is one dangerous road, going down.

My cousin put his Honda Civic near the creek about 30 years ago… but survived, so… new car!