Game thread: Utes against the Beavers--Time for a convincing win

I have always considered the mascot names of the two Oregon teams pretty embarrassing. Ducks and Beavers. Really?

The Utes lead the Pac-12 in first-down defense (51), passing yards allowed (132.8), scoring defense (14.0 ppg), team passing efficiency (168.89), team passing efficiency defense (93.47), total defense (244.0 ypg), and time of possession (33.53).

Here’s what the Utes are taking into the game:

The Utes lead the Pac-12 in first-down defense (51), passing yards allowed (132.8), scoring defense (14.0 ppg), team passing efficiency (168.89), team passing efficiency defense (93.47), total defense (244.0 ypg), and time of possession (33.53).

Rock those cute little critters!

I like unique mascots. There are way too many Wildcats, Cougars, Bears, Spartans, Aggies, etc.

2 Likes

It’s like the state of Oregon had the last two picks for mascots.

6 Likes

Like the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs?

4 Likes

that is definitely a favorite. As is the Irvine Anteaters and the St. Louis Billikens.

2 Likes

To me the UC Irvine Anteaters and the University of Delaware Fighting Blue Hens are 2nd and 3rd place.

1 Like

I’m a little nervous about this game. Oregon State is light years better than they were years ago and they are well coached. They got us last year and without Kuithe and whatever might be going on for us at RB, who knows? Fortunately were at home and the D seems healthy and as good as ever.

I’ll say Utah 27 Oregon St 23.

And the Stetson Hatters and Richmond Spiders?

2 Likes

So am I. I am sure Kyle is too and the staff is laser-focused. This would be a good game to throw the “slow start” monkey of the team’s backs.

5 Likes

Manhattan Jaspers is another great nickname

3 Likes

Add the Evergreen State Geoducks to the list.

2 Likes

Nice looking beaver though.

I wonder if it’s Wynona’s.

5 Likes

Turning to the actual topic of football, here’s a Josh Newman take that will generate some discussion here. I have a hunch that tomorrow’s game will tell us some important things about this year’s Utes.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Back to the topic at hand. After last season’s loss to OSU, and the run game drubbing from Florida, I suspect the team will be ready for OSU this time. My gut tells me that the defense wants to prove something. SUU didn’t tell us much, and SDSU hasn’t looked great all season. UF can’t seem to make up their mind as to how good they’ll be. But defensively I think Scalley will have the team ready.

Let us hope that Ludwig is doing the same on offense.

1 Like

October is going to be a tough month. The Beavs, UCLA, Southern Cal, and Wazzu. Could win all of those games, could lose all of those games.

1 Like

I also wonder if OSU left it all on the field trying to beat USC last week. Hoping they have a letdown, combined with a fired up Utah team out for revenge.

3 Likes

Yep. Could be a great month, a so-so month, or an awful one.

2 Likes

I wonder if we can schedule up the Greendale Humans for MBB? :wink:

5 Likes